test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So, Are you going to check out the missions called "Vulcan Love Slave #14"?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
"Vulcan Love Slave #14."

For Star Trek canon, the "Vulcan Love Slave" program is one of the most popular holo-suite programs. It seems likely that we'll see a bunch of dumb and reportable UGC content labeled "Vulcan Love Slave."

Will you ignore it flat out as part of the review board, or will you play it out of curiosity and a duty to report? What would and would not be acceptable for a mission called "Vulcan Love Slave #14"?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Kirkfat wrote: »
    For Star Trek canon, the "Vulcan Love Slave" program is one of the most popular holo-suite programs. It seems likely that we'll see a bunch of dumb and reportable UGC content labeled "Vulcan Love Slave."

I have to admit, I've been vaguely tempted to write something like that.

I'd do it by adapting something like Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" to Trek canon complete with a lot of innuendo and wittiness. Though with a Vulcan it'd be 'Taming of the Shrewd' really.

If it is done in a classy manner, without violating the profanity filter, and it is humorous and funny to play through I don't think people would have a problem with it.

But you are right in that their will likely be a lot of crass, vulgar and poorly written bits like that done by people who don't read the EULA and don't understand that stuff'll have to get reviewed before it goes out to the masses.

I think one question that might not have been entirely addressed yet is, for reviewing content. Do we have to play all the way to the end of the mission to be able to submit a review or can we just play it for long enough to be clear that it is buggy / violates the EULA / etc. and end the mission and flag it then without having to invest the time to reach the end.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Not playing it and reporting it for being inappropriate is inappropriate. You don't truly know it's inappropriate. It's an abuse.

Even Cryptic has a mission with a Vulcan Love Slave in it.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    maybe it is just me, but....I would pass on an adventure named that.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    maybe it is just me, but....I would pass on an adventure named that.
    Some people (hard core trekkies) just don't realize that's what the Foundry is all about. You play the missions you like, and I'll play the missions I like.

"Vulcan Love Slave" written by some juvenile idiot? It'll get downrated and end up buried at the bottom of the heap.

"Vulcan Love Slave" written tastefully and maturely, based on Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew", that would likely be an excellent story arc.

I just hope that the Foundry does not allow you to rate a mission unless you've completed it.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I probably wouldn't review it unless I knew already it was of the Shakespearan variant. Might play it when the Rating is good.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well some writers might think it is witty to name an adventure that...even if its subject is much
    different.

tee he

but, they will be dissapointed

The folks they want to do the adventure ...won't
    and the very ....young .. player will doing it, be dissapointed it is not TRIBBLE then rate you 1 star or less
    for teasing them.

it is a lose lose situation.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hythian wrote: »
    I have to admit, I've been vaguely tempted to write something like that.

I'd do it by adapting something like Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" to Trek canon complete with a lot of innuendo and wittiness. Though with a Vulcan it'd be 'Taming of the Shrewd' really.

If it is done in a classy manner, without violating the profanity filter, and it is humorous and funny to play through I don't think people would have a problem with it.

Sounds like it would be tough to adapt Hythian (well tough to do in the classy / non-filter catching manner) but if you can pull it off I'd love to play it. I assume this will be a KDF-based mission as everyone know that Shakespear is SO much better in the original Klingon. ;)
    Well some writers might think it is witty to name an adventure that...even if its subject is much different.

At first you'll get a few juvenile types trying to make soft-TRIBBLE adventures but I'd bet that'll start to die out before long. Overall you'll only get bits of 'off-screen' sexuality and innuendo.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Or what if it's a story about a Vulcan Love Slave program instance that has gained sentience and is attempting to escape its abuse?

Book, by its cover, etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Or what if it's a story about a Vulcan Love Slave program instance that has gained sentience and is attempting to escape its abuse?

Book, by its cover, etc.

I've been toying around with this idea. A love slave that has logged so many hours that she has become self-aware. How to make a mission out that though, lol.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    wrote:
    I've been toying around with this idea. A love slave that has logged so many hours that she has become self-aware. How to make a mission out that though, lol.
    She convinces one of her "users" to gift her a mobile emitter, and then escapes.

Let's assume the original creator of the software was a Ferengi or at least a Ferengi owns it now - the FCA might be tasked to hunt her down because her leaving the program is a violating of Ferengi copyright statues that every user has agreed to. (You did go through the 15 minute holographic EULA presentation, did you?). And as an ally to the Federation, you are giving the order to help the FCA agent.