test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Generic work arounds

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
This is a thread to cover the subject of workarounds in general.

NWN is full of them, it is basically: ways writers find to get over a mission generator's
restrictions.

Not exactly a 'hack' more like a writing exploit :D
I am curious how many writers will be looking for ways around the generators basic
concept to do...unusual things.

Basically, if you normally can't put the player in a ship of your design, find a sneeky way to
do it anyways :)

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Basically, if you normally can't put the player in a ship of your design, find a sneeky way to do it anyways :)

Depends on what sort of control we have over the camera and if we can skip the 'warp in' sequence at the start of a mission.

While we may not be able to force them to pilot a ship of our choosing, we might be able to script something where the players actual ship is way way way off-screen and you move the camera to show them go through a pre-scripted fight using the ship of your choosing with their bridge officers coming up to announce combat actions (similar to how this weeks Devidian episode had the much smaller than usual pop-up during the mission of 'Use the proton gun!').

Really depends on if the effect you want is to force the player to pilot something unusual, or just to have them piloting something odd as a MacGuffin to move them to a different sort of interior or story sequence then normal.

But again, depends on what sort of scripting we are allowed to do with the camera and what sort of things like turning off the warp-in / warp-out sequences we can do.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was thinking, if we as writer could effect a holo-emitter on a players ship....similar
    to the dabo prize ones (with no experation) we could make thier ship LOOK like another one :p

Congrats ! you are now a cargo ship...lol enjoy
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was thinking, if we as writer could effect a holo-emitter on a players ship....similar
    to the dabo prize ones (with no experation) we could make thier ship LOOK like another one :p

Hmm... Well... Yeah... Sure... If you want to do it the easy way...

To be honest, it hadn't even occured to me that we might be able to place a holo-emitter style effect on a players ship. That would definately solve the problem of making the ship look different so we could in the episode script claim they were piloting something else, without actually forcing them to pilot a style of ship different from what they were used to.

That does bring up an interesting question of what sort of effects we'll be able to put in place on a player.

For example, can we just make a player suffer the effects of a Gorn bite (with the vomit emote and all that) without needing a Gorn there to bite them if we wanted to write a scene where a player had been poisoned?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yep, when UGC hits tribble...I will be spending several days just figuring out what I can and cannot
    do with it :p
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Agreed, lets stretch this engine. This is where having, here, the wiki, and UGO site will come in handy in terms of experiments. I swear this forum is starting to feel like the starting block at a marathon. We're all chomping at the bit to get it started.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This is a thread to cover the subject of workarounds in general.

NWN is full of them, it is basically: ways writers find to get over a mission generator's
    restrictions.

Not exactly a 'hack' more like a writing exploit :D
    I am curious how many writers will be looking for ways around the generators basic
    concept to do...unusual things.

Basically, if you normally can't put the player in a ship of your design, find a sneeky way to
    do it anyways :)

Thoughts?

If I had a middle name, it would be Workaround ;).
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hmmm we might need another official thread category

Foundry Workshop

Where we can share ways to do different things and ways to simplify things writers will want to do.

Like make a players ship look different

How to make puzzels work <when that feature is added>

How to make puzzels before that feature is added :p

Workarounds to any bugs that pop up and refuse to be fixed

Good story telling technique

and basically writters helping writers in the nuts and bolts kinda way.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

A vital piece of the story, IMO for time travel episodes.

EB
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    another thought...
    I used to build in second life and this just came to mind

>>> On interior ship 'pieces' all the windows and the main view needs to be hallow.
    There is a reason:

By making it hallow, it allows us, the story teller, to choose the background to stick on the outside
    of the window or viewer so we can control what a player can see on the view screen or out the window.

Seems kinda like a small point but if you have a spot in a story where your in a ship interior
    in orbit around..say Vulcan...we don't need players seeing SB1 on the main viewer.

So I am asking for empty windows and viewer along with some flat set pieces with various
    views on them...for windows and a set for the main viewer.

in the set there should be:

basic starfield
    starfield at warp...animated would be nice
    earth
    SB1
    DS9
    a bunch of planets
    asteroid field
    brier patch
    ect..

That way we can pick the right ones and place them in the viewer slot and various windows

Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I will definatly be checkin in on this thread..........

good stuff guys.....good stuff
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I want the player to have options, i.e. their decision impacts how the mission plays out.

For instance (for the Klingons out there), you need to secure a Romulan base. You will have to secure the central complex which houses most of the automated defenses and Romulan troops, (MAP 2). However, there are several other places you can beam into first and due to the need for speed during this mission you can only chose one. (MAPS 1A through 1C).

MAP 1 is essentially a corridor with troops in the hall and a few doors along the sides.

Your bridge science officer tells you:

"Sir, I can beam you down next to their primary weapons cache."
    MAP 1A - Player fights through the small corridor, to a door. Player vaporizes a control panel next to the door or even shoots the door under the premise of welding it shut, presumabley preventing the troops in MAP 2 from getting their weapons.

"I've located their internal security array."
    MAP 1B - Player fights through the small corridor to a different room with a number of computer consoles, and player activates one of the consoles. (Presumabley reprograming the enemy defenses.)

"Sir, I've located what appears to be their generator. If we could disable it, we could take the whole facility with little resistance!"
    MAP 1C - Player fights through a small corridor to a heavy door, that despite the players best efforts cannot be destroyed or opened, so the player must beam into MAP2 without really accomplishing squat, i.e. a dead end.

Your tactical officer says, "Where would you like to beam down?"

Player selects his target, which determines which version of MAP 1 they will go through.

Now: If the player goes through MAP 1A, then weaker enemies spawn on MAP 2, (troops with no weapons or very weak ones), however the automated defenses remain in place to hinder the player.

If the player goes through MAP 1B, then instead of enemy automated turrets spawning to attack the player, friendly turrets spawn instead attacking the enemy troops on the map, giving the illusion that the player successfully reprogrammed the enemy's defenses.

If the player goes through MAP 1C, then the player is stuck fighting enemy automated turrets as well as tough guards armed with more powerful rifles as opposed to the fists or weaker pistols resulting from playing through MAP 1A.

At least, that's how I'm planning on making it work.

All handled through one dialogue selection, which determines which specific door opens on MAP 1, and determines which enemies spawn in MAP 2.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    map triggers will be our meat and pototoes...as it were.

gotta love triggers

Spawns mobs
    spawns conversations and BO observations
    spawns map transitions
    works puzzels
    triggers NPC actions

gezzzz you gotta know your triggers
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If it is true that a cut scene editor/creator will be included with the Foundry, as was mentioned in one of the STOked interviews, that will be a great tool. A good cut scene can do wonders for advancing the story and, if the cut scenes can be linked to map triggers...well, that's just awesome with possibilities.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Armature wrote: »
    If it is true that a cut scene editor/creator will be included with the Foundry, as was mentioned in one of the STOked interviews, that will be a great tool. A good cut scene can do wonders for advancing the story and, if the cut scenes can be linked to map triggers...well, that's just awesome with possibilities.

what he said.....so true