test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

UGC idea-interior starship combat

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
UGC idea: interior starship combat

Idea- imagine you make a mission that takes place on a starship bridge. Your officers inform you of a battle scenerio here is an example-

Tactical- "captain four Romulan warbirds have decloaked around us..they are arming weapons- your orders?

choice tree-

1. Raise shields, go to battle stations, fire all weapons and evasive maneuvers"

2. Hail the lead ship--raise shields- do not fire unless fired upon-
3. Warp speed! get us the hell out of here now!

assuming you choose option 1-

Engineer- "sir we have taken heavy damage to the shields-down to 34%-minor damage to the two flanking warbirds, your orders?

1. "divert emergency power to shields, focus all weapons on the warbird in our direct path, plow a hole for us to fly through full impulse!"

2. " full power to weapons, prepare to jettison the warp core towards the rear warbirds and fire a photon at it, maybe that will buy usss some time!"

3. " hail the romulans- offer our surrender

4. Open a general hail- well do the corbomite manuever hehehe"

choices may lead to random crew deaths on the bridge like a console explosion and a npc flying across the room (im sure u can do this if its like city of heroes)

any thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I like it would add depth and give us a reason for actually playing the game from our bridge...
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It sounds like an interesting concept, should you be able to do something like that through your bridge. Like Jukzea said, it'd give us additional incentive to do things through our bridge. Hopefully a further iteration of the Foundry would give us the option of doing something like that.

My only concern is the level of fun people would get out of that kind of scenario. You don't actually get to fire on the ships, or do much of anything other than make command decisions. The consequences of your actions are merely textual, unless the Foundry has a type of trigger system in place that would make consoles explode and crewmembers to fly around like ragdolls. Furthermore, the bridge viewscreen has very little functionality at this present moment, so you wouldn't be able to see the action from your bridge, leaving it entirely in a text-based form, unless of course the viewscreen was modified.

It does sound like a good idea, that might give a bit of nostalgia to the old MUD and MUSHes RPG where your entire world was created through text and imagination through writing. Maybe some players would find that kind of command decision mission fun and interesting, but I think it'd be a very limited amount of players (I could be wrong, though). Decisions would need to have more interaction to them rather than pointing and clicking on dialogue responses for a majority of players, but diplomatic mission enthusiasts might think this was fairly awesome since there is little point-and-shooting going on.

All in all, it's not a bad idea, and I hope the Foundry will allow you to do something like that when it ships, or in a further iteration of it.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Good idea, I know combat aboard our ships will be possible, although I have no idea if it will be possible to accomplish a console explosion and / or a BOff death, and I don't believe it will be at launch, perhaps sometime in the future.
    chooch99 wrote: »
    3. Warp speed! get us the hell out of here now!

I would suggest you be careful with your dialogue writing, you would never read a Captain state something like that in any STO mission, simply changing this to something like, "Helmsmen, get us out of here now!" would be fine though.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I thought of a workaround about the choice tree/ instanced actions limits, using glowy consoles that each represent a choice to have as an instance trigger /event trigger for now, until later builds can make text lead to event triggers.

The dialogue i gave were just quick examples but i understand the concern.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm liking this idea, though it could quickly lead to a sort of bottle show in which really awesome things occur off-screen, or "outside the door" and our characters are never able to see them 1st hand. "Oh my goodness, a sensor indicate a giant space whale is eating the romulans! shall we plot an evasive?" "Ano Q is here and he surfing with the space whale, oh the fight is tremendous!"
    Then the lights go out and the crew is eaten by a Gru.

Seriously though this is not a bad idea, I'll have to play with it when it goes live, but I'm liking the direction you're thinking in having text based ship piloting.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was thinking of tempering it with pew pew so its not to dull :)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This sounds like a GREAT idea. I have been thinking of this for a while , but never posted a thread about it. I hope this gets added to the game !!