test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Interested in playing as a Klingon, but NOT interested in PVP??

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hi!
I like Klingons, always have. I fancy their ship designs, and and their in yo'face attitude in combat, also I love cloaking and such,
so I recon its about time for me to roll a Klingon. Only problem is..............well its not that hard to guess.
Klingons are usually refferred to as the PVP faction by the developers, and I recon it has to do something with the ''light'' amount of content they have?

So, to sum it up!
Just as the title says: would you recommend playing as a Klingon (even) if the player is not interested in pvpP?

Thank you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    It would depend on how much you hate the idea of grinding Clusters, because you will do a LOT of it. If you can stand that, then fine. If you can't then you're going to want to hold off on klingons.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A thing to keep in mind about those clusters... The ground missions can be far more frustrating than any Federation variant. Tricorder functionality tailored specifically for Klingons would be such a nice addition...

Atleast the weeklies, and Deferi Daily help with that now. And more is coming soon...
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    thefrayl wrote: »
    A thing to keep in mind about those clusters... The ground missions can be far more frustrating than any Federation variant. Tricorder functionality tailored specifically for Klingons would be such a nice addition...

The tricorder isn't actually needed for the most part.

On planet side missions there are almost always obvious paths to follow and all of your objectives fall on them (this is true on Fed missions as well, but people are so tricorder-focused that they've never bothered to notice). In ship/base missions the objectives are pretty much always along the walls. Just enter the room and follow along the walls and you will quickly find whatever you're after.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

On planet side missions there are almost always obvious paths to follow and all of your objectives fall on them (this is true on Fed missions as well, but people are so tricorder-focused that they've never bothered to notice). In ship/base missions the objectives are pretty much always along the walls. Just enter the room and follow along the walls and you will quickly find whatever you're after.

In many cases, thats true. But many have no path whatsoever, and are extremely foggy no less. It's very frustrating.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In many cases, thats true. But many have no path whatsoever, and are extremely foggy no less. It's very frustrating.
    Tribble hunt on a jungle world. The joy! :P
  • Options
    edited October 2010

True (but remember that fog doesn't effect your minimap) however they are the very rare exception. I think I find more Fed missions with buried data samples that throw off my tricorder than I do missions with no obvious path.

And to make things even easier, a lot of objectives are placed around obvious landmarks. For instance, if you're looking for probes they will be beside a building, every probe has a building, and every building has a probe. You don't need to look for probe bits, just a building. Find your shack and you've found your probe.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Don't forget the missions where you blow up Tribble farms in space.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well I guess my KDF character has bad luck, because that seemed to be the majority of ground mission types I got when doing Clusters. And these were in 'the wild', so no structures or paths to follow.

I've had plenty of experience hunting down 5/5 objectives without the use of a Tricorder in Beta. And while many were still easy with use of a minimap, others were downright irritating because of the wild, and random nature of the map.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well I guess my KDF character has bad luck, because that seemed to be the majority of ground mission types I got when doing Clusters. And these were in 'the wild', so no structures or paths to follow.

I've had plenty of experience hunting down 5/5 objectives without the use of a Tricorder in Beta. And while many were still easy with use of a minimap, others were downright irritating because of the wild, and random nature of the map.

Well, I've run into a total of about three map types where it was an issue (actually just two, on one there was a path, but it just couldn't be seen on the mini-map because of giant mushrooms concealing it, and I primarily navigate via mini-map). Admittedly one of those maps I ran into on several separate occasions. Of course, after a hassle the first time I just beam out now whenever I see it (it's a pretty obvious one since it has thick green fog that looks like floating barf).

The tricorder issue just hasn't effected me all that much. I actually find that I can generally complete my klingon Exploration missions significantly faster, simply because I don't waste time looking for useless data samples.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I say yes to the OP.

In my case I don't play him as my main, but as pointed out the Defari help break things up and presumably we'll be getting some new dailies in series 2 as well. BoP is a hella fun ship to fly!

So yeah, I don't fly him a lot, but when I do it's a lot of fun!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's worth playing even if you are not a huge PvP person. If you have utterly 0 interest in ever doing pvp, then it might feel like a grind. But if you have any sort of interest in PvP it is a nice place to start, particularly capture and hold since you can perform without firing a shot.

I encourage you to try out the pvp, give it say 10 matches. The first few you will get killed pretty fast, but around 6-7 you should be able to hold your own. So by 10 matches you will be able to determine if it is fun for you at all or not. Even if not you still have options, just saying you should explore all of them.

I once avoided PvP like the plague, but In STO i found after i got the hang of it (like i said, first 5 usually end up you getting owned, so don't base your opinion on your first few matches) i found that it is a great deal of fun win or lose if you have a half decent team.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Almost....

I have had plenty where the final thing was half way across the map off the trail or one or more of the objectives were stuck below the ground.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Focalor wrote:
    So, to sum it up!
    Just as the title says: would you recommend playing as a Klingon (even) if the player is not interested in pvpP?
    I've spent most of the last couple of weeks leveling my first Klink past Lt 8 - I kept starting them and then deleting them. I'm now at Captain 2, and while it did take a lot of cluster grinding, I have to say that, when you get to them, the Klink episodes are some of the best in the game. Even some of the cluster missions are really cool when you start to do them. The DSE-like patrols have a nice interesting twist too. Plus with the 5-part Deferi missions, and the Deferi dailies, and now the Drozana weeklies, there's a little more variety to spice things up even if you don't want to pvp.

I'd recommend everyone grind out at least 1 Klink. The experience of flying Klink ships is cool and their episodes are awesome, IMO, and well worth the grind; and with the Foundry coming in December there'll hopefully be more mission types to play through to cut down on some of the grinding. I've considered it time well spent.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote: »
    I've spent most of the last couple of weeks leveling my first Klink past Lt 8 - I kept starting them and then deleting them. I'm now at Captain 2, and while it did take a lot of cluster grinding, I have to say that, when you get to them, the Klink episodes are some of the best in the game. Even some of the cluster missions are really cool when you start to do them. The DSE-like patrols have a nice interesting twist too. Plus with the 5-part Deferi missions, and the Deferi dailies, and now the Drozana weeklies, there's a little more variety to spice things up even if you don't want to pvp.

I'd recommend everyone grind out at least 1 Klink. The experience of flying Klink ships is cool and their episodes are awesome, IMO, and well worth the grind; and with the Foundry coming in December there'll hopefully be more mission types to play through to cut down on some of the grinding. I've considered it time well spent.

I do want to say that oddly enough, I swear the Tier 4/Tier 5 clusters are more interesting. I don't know why but I was shocked to see different text for once and more variety of enemies.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Count me in as someone who wants to be a Klingon KDF PvE player...

I have almost no interest all in playing PvP, either as a Fed or KDF...
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I as well recommend at least leveling one kdf char.

After a couple of fed chars I finally gave in and gave it a go and I must say, if you are stricly going pve as a klingon player you will definately learn what it means to be truely klingon.
    It is a serious grind with no luxeries of any kind to go the PvE rout, but if you can stand it, I would definately at least grind one out to max level.

I do not PvP in this game due to various reasons so I leveled an orion char through cluster missions, a klingon DSE or two of the klingon format of a DSE, and through the klingon only missions that were released in season 2 iirc.

They have some fine ships on the kdf side and they have added some pretty cool kdf missions as well that are definately worth running.
    Don't forget, in S3 we should be getting episode replay to help take the edge off if your primaraly a PVE player trying to make it through a mostly PvP faction.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to be the rebel and say that KDF sucks without doing pvp. But i used to be a lot like you and all about PvE, but once I accepted the fact that KDF is a pvp faction the more I loved them. I personally love the idea that the goals of being a Klingon character is to blow up other people's ships, and once you fully accept that then leveling a Klingon becomes very easy.

What I do is take up every single mission available in my contacts (exploration, PvE stuff, pvp, everything) and while I'm waiting for a queue I'll do PvE, if i have no PvE missions I'll do exploration, if I'm bored with that I'll do war zones. I always have something to do with my Klingon.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I rarely PvP'ed on my Klingon until I was almost BG, and even then it was mostly to clear out the "complete X arena/etc." missions in my log. Luckily, I wound up with some good Klingons (and some bad Feds), so it was incredibly enjoyable. On top of that, the few episode chains that Klingons get are really good, and I find their cluster missions to be more fun that on the Fed side. I'm actually debating going again once my current KDF maxes out.

I say give it a go.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    dr_Drake wrote:
    I encourage you to try out the pvp, give it say 10 matches. The first few you will get killed pretty fast, but around 6-7 you should be able to hold your own. So by 10 matches you will be able to determine if it is fun for you at all or not. Even if not you still have options, just saying you should explore all of them.

I once avoided PvP like the plague, but In STO i found after i got the hang of it (like i said, first 5 usually end up you getting owned, so don't base your opinion on your first few matches) i found that it is a great deal of fun win or lose if you have a half decent team.

This is probably good advice. I avoid PvP here (and in Champions) because I am staunchly opposed to the "everyone gets a trophy for participating" system. I only like zero sum PvP (if I win, you lose something and vice versa) so my space PvP is confined to EVE. However, I can definitely see how it might appeal to others, especially once they get past the initial losing streak.
    w0qj wrote: »
    Count me in as someone who wants to be a Klingon KDF PvE player...

I have almost no interest all in playing PvP, either as a Fed or KDF...

I'd say KDF is worth playing even outside of PvP. I haven't spent too much time on mine but that's only because I'm grinding out Federation Ambassador on my main. Redside (ha! Get it? :p) is a bit too sparse on content overall though the Deferi and Drozana additions are extremely welcome. I've found the Deferi dailies help break the monotony of cluster grinding, though I've taken to doing them in the opposite order (dailies first, then back to clusters) for efficiency's sake.