test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Transphasic Cluster Torpedo bugged?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
That thing is firing like 2 out of every 5 times. I know the actual projectile can be destroyed before it detonates, but it doesn't even appear half the time. Has this happened to anyone else? It makes me sad because the cooldown is so monstrous. :(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    This has been posted on again and again, so far I haven't even seen them actually acknowledge it as a problem.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sorry, I browsed the first few pages and didn't see it. And searching for anything with "Breen" or "transphasic" or "torpedo" in the search option is just ludicrous. Anyhow, it would be nice to know. I guess it's a problem is multiple people are having the issue?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have noticed that. I also have issues where the mines just go flying off where every they want and don't go after a target. They almost look like they are chasing a cloaked target.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You're looking in the wrong forum, should check the bug forum.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    lol all torpedo types take there sweet time launching :( Truth be told I'm a all guns type myself because of both the cool down time between shots and the firing arc. That was untill this transphasic torpedo/mine thingy. lol I love it . Oh I still try and cross the T on the enemy with my guns ,but on my Excelsior 1 rear slot has this baby installed :)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Raibart wrote: »
    lol all torpedo types take there sweet time launching :( Truth be told I'm a all guns type myself because of both the cool down time between shots and the firing arc. That was untill this transphasic torpedo/mine thingy. lol I love it . Oh I still try and cross the T on the enemy with my guns ,but on my Excelsior 1 rear slot has this baby installed :)

Not quite what he means. Many times when the cluster mine fires...nothing happens, at all. You get the cool down but no projectile at all.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What controls the cooldown times? Something in your skill tree? I noticed on my VA the torpedo firing times are like 4 seconds apart, but on my lower characters it's like 12.

I got auto-paired with some doofus who had every slot taken up with a torpedo launcher. THAT was fun to play with. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Old issue, present with heavy plasma and tricobalt torps too.

Good luck getting it addressed, ever :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Old issue, present with heavy plasma and tricobalt torps too.

Good luck getting it addressed, ever :rolleyes:

Mhmmm.... its irritating.

In the extreme.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Has it been an issue forever, or just a bit? I never used the heavy stuff because it just kept getting shot out of the sky and that annoyed me.

For now I just swapped it out with a real torpedo launcher so I would stop raging. It's hard to kill stuff in a Nova when you picked all science-abilities. :(
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yep, this has been a problem since launch as far as I know.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've been on elite since they threw in the difficulty slider...unless a patch reset it or something. Better go check. :o
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If it goes directly to cooldown with no torp...

You moved out of firing arc while pressing the button. Happens all the time for me with the minetorp and HY plasma and tricobalt torps.
    Or the ship you fired at moved out of the arc.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've had this problem happen with my tric mine too. but it's too infrequent to tell what, if any, circumstances are causes. Only thing i can say, is it usually happens when i'm hitting buttons really fast and the "casting times" are lagging behind my 'casting' selections. no clue if this is helpful.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In my playing around on my science officer alt tonight, I find that if I take it off autofire and wait to get it dead center in the firing arc it almost never misfires. Works best in aft arc.

Not a fix, but a work around at least.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mine is mounted aft and I find it almost always fires if I am not turning at the time. I leave it on autofire and just ease off the manuvering as my target is about to enter arc - whooosh, eat minefield, sucker!

Conversely, if I am turning when target enters arc, there's abotu a 90% chance that theres not even a farting noise as it goes into cooldown.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So far, not a problem for me. As long as I'm within target distance and arc, I get good reaction from firing this.

And, yes, there are times when the enemy ship targets it upon release and I have to wait for cooldown to fire again.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I do experience false fire, but not as much as you do. It always happens while doing hard turning, and when i fire when i am almost at the edga of the firing arc. So maybe it is a lag problem. By the time the server receives the fire command, it calculates that you are out of arc, and thus doen't start the attcak. While the actual computing may be on your pc (cooldown for example). That would explain why the countdown starts, but no torpedoes are fired. Just guessing here but my knowledge in computer science tells me this is a very good lead.

For my part, I do experience it maybe one out of time. But less now that I pay extra attention at the conditions I am in when I fire it.

As a hint, if you use a jam sensor, and then fire it, it is targeted/destroyed and you get targeted back in a split of a second (he he computers reflex are so quick).
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've noticed plenty of false fires on the spawning torpedo types flying straight at the target, though. Even inert objects.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was noticing this a lot too. So, I don't use it any more. Until it is fixed that slot has been filled with a turret. Those always work.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, it's definitely been a very long term, annoying bug. Tricobalts have done the same thing all year.

I know that sometimes it's caused by AoE damage defeating the torpedo before it start travelling, but that damage generally shows up in the combat log, and the other half the time the torpedo just vanishes.