test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Enhancing the experience of Star Trek Online

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Ten Forward
Hi all.

This is a thread i want everyone to use to discuss enhancing your Star Trek Online experience. I have tested a few methods.

I am not sure the use of voice command software is against the EULA(at the end of the day, i could be limbless and want to play Sto) but i found a tool called Game Gommander, which promised more than it actually delivered. Probably because voice recognition is still at a young stage and is still flawed. I admit i enjoyed it when it worked in a very quiet room, using a headset. I can do all bar steer the ship with my voice. I dabbled with the audible feedback option and used a text to speech editor to add pre and post responses for my orders. The horrible thing about using something like this would be annoying working alongside something like ventrilo.

Another piece of tech im not sure on but the Wolf King CS keyboard. I am not sure if i am keen on this as it doesnt make me perform quicker than when im using my normal keyboard. Another is touchscreen tech. Im curious about touchscreen panel kits and doing up an old screen. I wouldnt spend ££££'s on something im gonna make all greasy. Last of all using 3d tech, would be cool. Does the game have to feature 3d settings or can a 3d enabled PC achieve the 3d effect. What cool equipment do you use?

Suggestions very welcome and thanks in advance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    If you are going for voice commands then you need the TOS communicator microphone.
    It is awesome!

Oh and force a friend/relative to play the game while you sit behind him/her acting as captain shouting commands.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I write fiction to enhance my STO experience. Roleplaying is also fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A chat logger would be a great enhancement for roleplaying because you could turn it into stories. I for one, love adapting rpg adventures into tales to relive later, hence one reason I like to make comics. Having to write from memory is a lot harder than having the reference of a chat log.

As it is now, I tend toward less rp and more soloing, because there is no chat logger. I think something else that would be a big enhancement, is a prefix before you type something that sets the type of converstion you're engaging in.

For example, in the original (and still best) Neverwinter Nights, you could just type /w for whisper, and it would cut the range for the dialogue to be heard to a short distance around the character. By default, it was set to talk, which was a larger but not infinite distance. /p was for party chat. /t for tell, which was a private message to just the player you intend it for. All this, easy to control from the keyboard, intended for fast, efficient communication. NWN2 messed up this interface considerably, and it made it much more cumbersome for multiplayer. That's why, to this day, I still play the original NWN1 because the interface is far superior to that of NWN2. I mention that here, because Cryptic will soon be working on NWN3. :)

Anyhow, chat log... GOOD! VERY IMMERSIVE!

No chat log... BORING, not very immersive.

I think we still need a better way of giving players opportunities to roleplay together, not just team up in space and fight there. I have come to really enjoy this game, but it can still get better, and more actual social opportunities for our characters would help immensely.

How about missions where your character gets one third of a required trio of requirements to complete a mission and has to find help from two others who get the other components needed. Part of your journey becomes tracking down someone else who can help you.... I want more stuff that makes me seek out other players and vice versa.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.

Ken :)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Log me and I'll break your nose by throwing a old and dry piece of bread.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've fiddled with some tools I found to replace a few of the in-game music tracks with other songs from the movies that also fit. I'm currently trying to figure out if I can expand, rather than replace, the in-game selection. As it is right now, I've just replaced a few of the more tedious/annoying tracks (i.e. the ones with the opera guy bellowing at you), but most of the STO soundtrack is pretty awesome, so I don't want to get rid of it entirely.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This may have been seen by the right devs had it been posted in the suggestions forums.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    One thing I've yet to understand is why Bridge Commander was able to switch between bridge and tactical view with one press of the spacebar while STO requires you to zone between the two. If the balance between the two could be addressed, I'd love to have my character turn toward a bridge officer whom speaks, or turn toward the viewscreen to see whomever we're speaking to (the FE:Cold Call video almost taunts us on that point, though it's likely more a clever video edit rather than something which was actually implemented).

Failing that, I could be content with the conversation interface actually going to simulate a viewscreen, like shown in one of Perpetual's concept shots. It's just a graphical interface for the windowframe, but having that alone would be pretty neat (not to mention I really would like seeing the chat/dialogue UI more streamlined like how it seemed to be in the PE conceotual screenie).