test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why purchasing a Liberated Borg Bridge Officer is a BAD idea...

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
One of the nicer feature of Season 2 is the ability for people to train commissioned bridge officers for friends. Nice idea.

However...

If you have a Liberated Borg bridge officer from the C-Store, you cannot transfer them to someone else to train... this makes them enormously less valuable, indeed I would argue they are actually a liability to anyone other than a Engineering Captain who can train them himself.

This is (1) a pity (2) unreasonable, given we are actually buying a feature-disabled bridge officer (and it is a major critical feature) and nowhere are we warned of this before we make the purchase.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    evilhippo wrote: »
    One of the nicer feature of Season 2 is the ability for people to train commissioned bridge officers for friends. Nice idea.

However...

If you have a Liberated Borg bridge officer from the C-Store, you cannot transfer them to someone else to train... this makes them enormously less valuable, indeed I would argue they are actually a liability to anyone other than a Engineering Captain who can train them himself.

This is (1) a pity (2) unreasonable, given we are actually buying a feature-disabled bridge officer and nowhere are we warned of this before we make the purchase.

if you could trade em, one person could supply thousands of people.

for free.

think about that.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
    edited August 2010

for free.

So they just tag them so that you cannot keep taking new ones (i.e. you can only take one-per-toon once you unlock it). It would only take very elementary coding.
    now go back into your corner and think about that.

The obvious solution is hardly rocket science. Any chance of an infraction for the gratuitously impolite flame bait please moderator?
    edited August 2010
    i agree 100 percent with the poster. make it so you dont have to trade the characte for someone to train it
    like in wow, have a slot for it or something

i agree, most problems in this game are elementry coding fixes, its just they choose not to.
    edited August 2010

for free.

now go back into your corner and think about that.

Typical snide answer expected from so many on this site. How about you think about limiting purchases of that bridge officer so trading them in that way is A) impractical and B) go back into YOUR corner.
    edited August 2010
    then i will make dummy toons.

and take the bo from them every time.

How are they going to control whether its a dummy toon or a "real" one?

The answer is not snide. It is simply pointing out the reason why those guys are not fit for trade.

You can wiggle around all day long, the fact does not change: its a vanity items that is being sold. Allowing players to trade em away hurts the sales.

Putnam wrote:
    i agree 100 percent with the poster. make it so you dont have to trade the characte for someone to train it
    like in wow, have a slot for it or something

i agree, most problems in this game are elementry coding fixes, its just they choose not to.

This actually is a sensible idea.
    edited August 2010
    This seems to be an ideal situation.

1) C-store items are supposed to be minor and/or cosmetic
    2) Borg officers are available from the c-store.

Ergo: Borg officers are supposed to be less useful than BOs acquired within the game.

All seems to work out.
    edited August 2010

However...

This is (1) a pity (2) unreasonable, given we are actually buying a feature-disabled bridge officer (and it is a major critical feature) and nowhere are we warned of this before we make the purchase.
    On the other hand, have you recently priced a Uncommon Saurian BO with the Space Trait 'Efficient' on the Exchange recently??? (with a EC price measured in the 10s of Millions) For most Users, a C-Store Purchase of the Borg BO is the only reasonable way to get this ability...
    edited August 2010
    yes that is totally unfair not being able to train them as the rest.
    edited August 2010
    On the other hand, have you recently priced a Uncommon Saurian BO with the Space Trait 'Efficient' on the Exchange recently??? (with a EC price measured in the 10s of Millions) For most Users, a C-Store Purchase of the Borg BO is the only reasonable way to get this ability...

What does "efficient" do, please?
    edited August 2010
    then i will make dummy toons.

Then as other more thoughtful people have suggested, they need to change the way training is done. It is clunky as hell as it is. Nice idea but poorly implemented and this issue shows another limitation of the system.

As a short term fix, simply tag to allow transfers between people who *both* already have liberated Borg BOffs (a majority of the population I suspect) ... problem solved.
    edited August 2010
    To be honest... it would make a lot more sense if the Borg BO from the C-Store defaulted to the same 'class' as the purchasing character.
    edited August 2010
    To be honest... it would make a lot more sense if the Borg BO from the C-Store defaulted to the same 'class' as the purchasing character.

That would also solve this problem, of course, as you could train them yourself.
    edited August 2010
    You can wiggle around all day long, the fact does not change: its a vanity items that is being sold. Allowing players to trade em away hurts the sales.

I don't see how it would hurt sales, knowing Cryptic they'd just make it so once you've traded a Borg BO to someone if you want another one you'll have to buy it again. Therefore if a Million people all bought one BO it'd be the same as one person buying a million BO's and giving them away.

But I agree with the none tradedable slot like they have in WoW personally :P
    edited August 2010
    Scrogdog wrote: »
    What does "efficient" do, please?

The Efficient trait does two things:

1. provides a slight improvement to your ship's power level management, and

2. provides forum-goers with an important focus for pointless mathematics and complaints.
    edited August 2010
    This is why they need to change it so that you can create a "training window" or train officer in the trade tab. You couldn't actually complete a trade for a Borg BO but you could still train them for a friend. This would also help out for people who have a full BO roster and can't take another officer.

This game already has a few unique BOs and I imagine more will be added throughout the course of the game. There needs to be a solution sooner rather than later to allow these BOs to be trained. That or give them unique skills that are so good/useful you wouldn't WANT to train them.
    edited August 2010
    Cryptic just needs to implement additional code:

If HaveUnlocked (AmazonBorgBO, TraderA, TraderB) = 1
    {
    /* Both players have unlocked Amazon Borg Bo - Allow Trade */
    AllowTrade (TraderA, TraderB);
    }

Else
    {
    /* One party does not have Amazon Borg - Abort Trade */
    CancelTrade (TraderA, TraderB);
    }
    edited August 2010
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Stormshade
    edited August 2010
    Cryptic just needs to implement additional code:

If HaveUnlocked (AmazonBorgBO, TraderA, TraderB) = 1
    {
    /* Both players have unlocked Amazon Borg Bo - Allow Trade */
    AllowTrade (TraderA, TraderB);
    }

Else
    {
    /* One party does not have Amazon Borg - Abort Trade */
    CancelTrade (TraderA, TraderB);
    }

This!

Pack your bags and head for Los Catos as they need you thereto do some coding :D
    edited August 2010
    Teach the borg BO emergency power to shields 3 and aux to SIF 3(if you are with cruiser).Ask a friend to train your other engineer BO with engineering team 3 and warp plasma 3.What else do you need?(extend shields 3 is kinda bad).

If you are with another ship doesnt matter anyway(maybe on a BoP....I use aux to SIF 2 as my only heal but it is from trainer)

edit:if emergency power to shields 3 is from engineers(I dont remember and I am on my tactical char,I cba to relog) maybe you can go with aceton field 1
    edited August 2010
    Excellent thread guys, containing several useful idea how to fix this.
    Hi ,

I dont think anybody cares about this game whatever there is...

But this post is irrelevant off topic spam.

And to add insult to injury, it is incorrect irrelevant spam as Ker'rat was crawling with gold farmers last night, producing a torrent of zone chat abuse in Vietnamese every time I blew one up when they were trying to scan a node :p
    edited August 2010
    Xorrlan wrote:
    Teach the borg BO emergency power to shields 3 and aux to SIF 3(if you are with cruiser).Ask a friend to train your other engineer BO with engineering team 3.What else do you need?(extend shields 3 is kinda bad,maybe eject warp plasma 3 can be useful for you but aux to SIF 3 is better to have imo).

If you are with another ship doesnt matter anyway(maybe on a BoP....I use aux to SIF 2 as my only heal but it is from trainer)

That is only true if you do not already have expensive untrainable skills in all the wrong places on all the wrong officers because there was no warning that the Borg BOff was untrainable-by-transfer.

No prizes for guessing what situation I am in :rolleyes:
    edited August 2010
    I just re-train them thru the vendor with Lvl II skills. The only reason I bought the silly thing in the first place was for the "efficient" trait. And for that to work, they merely have to be recruited aboard your ship (not assigned to a station). All my characters run four-engineer away teams, so having one that's limited to Lvl II ground skills is no great loss to me.

I see where the OP is coming from but the reasons they aren't tradable are clear (and covered above). And the changes needed to allow them to be traded...well, I'd be more afraid Cryptic would break something in the process.

Still, I'd love for them to be tradable. I'd have a full crew of efficient BOs on every one of my toons (making that lame-asses/over-priced/ultra-rare sauren BO worthless).
    edited August 2010
    Just posted a suggestion to allow Special BO's to be traded in the Engineering Reports:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2976778#post2976778

Hopefully we'll get a dev reply :)
    edited August 2010

However...

Going to have to disagree with you on all your points.

You are not realizing that the Liberated Borg BO has a whole lot more to it than just a power pool.

You have passives. Efficiency for one. Nanite Health Monitor. Etc. It is far from being inferior. All the skills on my Borg BO are ones trained by BOs gained by leveling up.

I've only trained Extend Shields III on it. But you can find Extend Shields II. Not that much difference.

Its not unreasonable. The Borg BO is very useful on its own. All my captains have a Borg BO on their ship. Even if its just the LT power. And the Borg BO is always on my away team trained with BO trainer skills like phaser turrets I, Phaser Turrets II, and Quantum Launcher. And I get an extra ground healer.

You might want to look at the passive skills of the Liberated Borg Bridge officer. You might change your mind on this topic. Definitely is worth it.
    edited August 2010
    Desdecardo wrote: »
    You might want to look at the passive skills of the Liberated Borg Bridge officer. You might change your mind on this topic. Definitely is worth it.

Nope. Totally not worth it to me. More to the point, the lack of options makes this a very questionable purchase.

So the Borg BOff was what you wanted and needed. Lucky you.

However for those of us who actually see the huge value of getting a different class captain to train up EPS III or ET III... it greatly devalues the usefulness of these BOffs.

And we were given no warning they were untrainable before we purchased them. Still, several fixes have been suggested that can make them trainable and still keep the accounts department happy.
    edited August 2010
    Cryptic needs to buy a subscription or two to World of Warcraft. Then they need to get to level 5 and learn enchanting. Then they need to get open up a trade window and pay close attention to how an enchanter can modify an item from said trade window.

It's a pretty simple solution, and it could be adapted for this.
    edited August 2010
    There's no NEED to train a Borg BO. They come with excellent and useful skills already. Trading them out when you can just get a different BO to train as you like is stupid.
    edited August 2010

However...

Those borg BOs have one of the most insanely useful racial traits in the game. They're worth every penny.
    edited August 2010
    phlyto wrote: »
    Cryptic needs to buy a subscription or two to World of Warcraft. Then they need to get to level 5 and learn enchanting. Then they need to get open up a trade window and pay close attention to how an enchanter can modify an item from said trade window.

It's a pretty simple solution, and it could be adapted for this.

You're talking about devoting significant developer resources and for what? One single BO that many subscribers don't even have?

There's about a million things I would rather see them do than that.
    edited August 2010
    Benfea wrote: »
    You're talking about devoting significant developer resources and for what? One single BO that many subscribers don't even have?

EVERYONE I know has one.