test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DEV: Improving Squadleading - easy-to-do!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Greetings, fellow players and Cryptic,

I like playing this game. And I like playing it with my fleet and my friends. We are recruiting new players almost every week, starting new characters.

The problem we have is the restriction at the Gamma Orionis Transwarp Gate, which only allows level 43 characters to enter the sector. With the release of Season 2 the problem got even bigger, because there now are two sectors and a lot of quests to do beyond this gate.

What we want is to activate Squadleading and take our new players at LC, Cmdr and Captain ranks with us to simply play together. It's possible to use Squadleading to level yourself down and help the newbies solve their quests. But that's a huge waste of time to the RA and VA-players, and more important: It's no challenge at all, because even at matching level every VA1 is almost-hitting the ships and NPCs in lower quests. The scaling would need some balancing, but that's a litte bit more work to do than with the improvement I am suggesting to you now.

Just remove the level 43 restriction at the Transwarp Gate and let us take our lowlevel-players into Gamma Orionis and Fluid Space. Let us take them into the Special Task Forces by using your fine Squadleading-System. Yes, you are right: That's way harder to play because they may lack some skills and BO slots. But it is FUN and a huge challenge. And we can play TOGETHER. Let them get the new episodes, dailies and STF as secondary missions and play them together with us. So everybody is getting rewards, getting XP and getting the feeling he is doing something useful TOGETHER.

At the moment, we are playing an MMO like a singleplayer game: Everybody is doing his stuff, the highlevels grind dailies while the new player fight through their episodes alone.

Removing the level-43-restriction should be done within few hours of work for you. And hopefully, the Squadleading and Mission-Sharing should be also working in Gamma Orionis.

Best regards,

Thaxx
Devourer Fleet Command

(P.S.: English is not my native language, so if these suggestions are not clear enough at some points, any help would be most welcome!)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Yes, this was definitively one point that made me feel a bit curious when you guys implemented the Squad Support-system. Sure enough, the system is simply wonderful for all the "regular" sectors and it's working either way - up and down. The problem is, like mentioned in the posting above, that most players are doing daily missions these days which, unfortunately, very often take place in those restricted sectors. I think many people with low-level-characters would love to take part in high-level quests, even though they have not finished the entire storyline. It would just be a benefit for playing together as a fleet and would also involve low-level-players in the "daily-STO-life".

Regards
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If they took away the restriction on the transwarp gate, all peeps would do from low level would be to AFK the Borg Deep space encounters till max level. I know it would happen.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They can also use the Captain Deep Space Encounters right now to reach max-level. Wouldn't be such a difference. And it would be their shame to miss the story. But to take away some more fleet-fun in order to keep players away from afk-leveling can't be the point.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Not much feedback yet. I wonder if this isn't important for many fleets.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OP - there is a more precise term for what you are asking...it's more commonly referred to in MMO's as "power-leveling". :)

I can't agree to opening up the Transwarp gate to lower level characters as there would then be no more incentive to rank up your characters in order to see what end-game content there is.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pyryck wrote:
    OP - there is a more precise term for what you are asking...it's more commonly referred to in MMO's as "power-leveling". .

No.

Because these mechanics are already in the game with the "squadleading" or so-called "sidekicking". The lowlevel player which is upleveled gets only 80% of the XP from the mission he got shared as secondary. 80% of the XP downscaled to his levelrange!

You cann't powerlevel anybody by using the Squadleading System. If so, you should deactivate it for the whole game.