test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Massacare at the OK Corral

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Yea that is how I would describe several recent ecnounters I have had with ground combat. The final straw? I was tooling around in Delta Volcanis doing some diplo missions. Beamed down to scan some artifacts and ran into some Strekklan. Ok when I engaged them I went from full shields and health to dead in less then 3 seconds. 3 seconds. I didn't have enough time to flee, move, fire a weapon, activate a shield or hypo...nothing that is how fast they killed me. Mind you it was on my VA1. I have rare blue personal shields with over 400 shield strength. Challenging is one thing.....thiis is ridiculous. Sad thing is it wasn't even elite it was advanced.

I actually like the ground game because some of the planets are way cool but I am getting to the point where I am starting to avoid any ground game based combat (at least with certain species....those known to use dual pistols). Is there any hope of this being corrected? Ever?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Woah. I hadn't been massacred like that since my first Klingon mission when I had never played an MMO before.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yea that is how I would describe several recent ecnounters I have had with ground combat. The final straw? I was tooling around in Delta Volcanis doing some diplo missions. Beamed down to scan some artifacts and ran into some Strekklan. Ok when I engaged them I went from full shields and health to dead in less then 3 seconds. 3 seconds. I didn't have enough time to flee, move, fire a weapon, activate a shield or hypo...nothing that is how fast they killed me. Mind you it was on my VA1. I have rare blue personal shields with over 400 shield strength. Challenging is one thing.....thiis is ridiculous. Sad thing is it wasn't even elite it was advanced.

I actually like the ground game because some of the planets are way cool but I am getting to the point where I am starting to avoid any ground game based combat (at least with certain species....those known to use dual pistols). Is there any hope of this being corrected? Ever?

This bug goes back to when they added the difficulty level options to the game as I recall. As far as when it will be fixed, maybe a developer will pop in and say it's somewhere on to the fix list at least.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Woah. I hadn't been massacred like that since my first Klingon mission when I had never played an MMO before.

Yeah I know I haven't had that bad in a while. I was preppping for battle moved into range and died before I could even fire my weapon.......funny but frustrating as well.

I know its a bug but its really gotten old....
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I know its not a very good video game combat system but when I first envisioned STO: Ground Combat I pictured...

Enemies with Little to Practically No Health; A decent Dodge Chance, a inclination to find cover. They would deal significant damage, so they can pose a threat. 1 or 2 hits kills them.

Bosses and Boss Groups would be mostly the same as they are currently.

Or something like that...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i dunno how you died so fast, the only ones who partially kick my head in with my boofs is borg, cos they are gits for slowin an that wierd teleport an bang held no healing. only advice i can give you is have your medic on passive the whole time.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sh1ngara wrote:
    i dunno how you died so fast, the only ones who partially kick my head in with my boofs is borg, cos they are gits for slowin an that wierd teleport an bang held no healing. only advice i can give you is have your medic on passive the whole time.

Even the medic wouldn't have helped...it was just so crazy fast. The damage was insanely high.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, this sounds a lot like the problem people have had since they introduced Advanced and Elite difficulty. But I've never heard of this happening at Advanced difficulty. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a bug with scaling issues concerning NPC stats (and thus their damage potential)... considering we've earned a whole new rank, and thus these NPCs would have to be scaled accordingly.

Considering all the other bugs that made it in under the radar, I seriously doubt many people (Cryptic included) ran many tests with ground combat on high difficulties.

With how long this bug has been in the game and how difficult it's been to get Cryptic to acknowledge there's a problem... don't expect this to get fixed anytime until Season 3. Which is apparently the patch they're going to do bug fixes for. :rolleyes:

If anything that just tells everyone how sorry of a state the game is in... a whole season devoted to bug fixes. Sheesh...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, this sounds a lot like the problem people have had since they introduced Advanced and Elite difficulty. But I've never heard of this happening at Advanced difficulty. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a bug with scaling issues concerning NPC stats (and thus their damage potential)... considering we've earned a whole new rank, and thus these NPCs would have to be scaled accordingly.

This is one reason I don't player an at a higher difficult level. Even at Normal Difficulty those bugged Bosses will blow away more of the shield 80-90% with their big damage attacks. The AOE attack from a Boss and a couple or Lieutenants is more than enough at Advanced to blow your away. The Boss's attack will know your shield down and take a bit or health. The rest of the AoEs will finished the job. Submit /bugs and put the name of the NPCs in the bug report so they can be neutered.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ...... Ok when I engaged them I went from full shields and health to dead in less then 3 seconds. 3 seconds. I didn't have enough time to flee, move, fire a weapon, activate a shield or hypo...nothing that is how fast they killed me.

What's killing you are the dual-wielding pistol guys. For some reason, each of their shots will slam for ~40 to 400ish points per hit, I believe their ranged damage formula is set with too large a variable. You will only meet these uber-guys on the random star cluster missions (Difficulty: Advanced or Elite). Anyways, obviously with those kinds of hits the current player-character gear sets will not be able to deal with it.

If it's any consolation, you can still deal with them if you're persistant and don't mind getting knocked out a few times, also if you're an Engineer it's a lot easier going.

Once you spot them, set up an ambush a ways back. Set up motars and turrets if you can, then lock you team off to the side and behind the turret cluster if you have them. Send a seeker or support drone in on the Strekklan Ensign or LT. first. Aside from sending out the drone, you should not fire at this time, if fact you should be running back behind your team; if you get hit or pegged out you should be in range for your medic to heal you. It might seem cowardly, but here's the thing, your team can't pause the game for target selection and if you're knocked out your battle-field awareness is very limited and of great importance here. Quick target selection is also important to survivial here. The seeker drone will eat that first fatal barrage. Your team will intiate fire by this point, pause the game and get your team to focus its fire on the nearest dual-wielding punk. Once they fire you can add your fire, or if a team member gets knocked out (and they will), revive them. Stun weapons are a boon but remember you still need team members with real killing power here.

The issue with these guys is with their crazy damage output, however their health points is fairly normal. If you're on your toes, the battle will be over in seconds, and at least one of your team will still be conscious.

There is one thing to note though, on a rare occasion a super-overlord dual-wield pistol Captain/Dahar Master may spawn near the end of the mission. These guys take a lot of work to take out, and they will kill any team mate they set their sights on. There was one Dahar Master with a ceremonial Bat'Leth that cause me to retreat from the mission after five or seven bloody attempts. The Dahar Master was hitting me for 800 to 1200 points, the combat log showed he gave one of my officers a 1600~ point lunge; there's nothing in my bag of tricks to deal with that kind of damage, retreat was the only course and if I could have I'd take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure....
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh and few more thing. Fire exchanges at long range isn't so bad with these guys, however if you've noticed the dual-wielding pistol guys like to charge right up to point-blank range and let off their barrages. They don't do it every time but they like to charge a lot of the time, when they are at point blank range their damage naturally is amplified. To deal with this, I have my medic/science officer come armed with Gravimetric Shift, just don't have her open the fight with the Grav, unless you like seeing her cut down immediately. Anyhow, separating the chargers keeps our casualities down.

Finally, Borg and Undine are easy to deal with mainly because the Borg walk and both the Borg/Undine are predictable in their tactics. If you control your team's fighting space with the Borg and expect the proto-Borg beam-in when you withdraw too much then cut down Borg becomes very fun past time!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    this might be 100% unrelated (or i could always be stupid) but are you guys paying attention to the npcs levels when they seem to be doing instant death damage? got owned twice today almost instantly before realizing i was in a wandering enemy contact supposed to be 4 levels below me populated with fighters who were 40 levels ABOVE me. all they had to do was look at me and i was dead. sounded similar so i thought i would see what yall thought. checked around for known issues but couldnt find much. i was playing on normal difficulty so this may be a whole new super fun and exciting bug! lol
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mastermase, hmmm, by wandering encounters I assume you mean the deep space encounters. If so, getting sent to an incorrect higher level instance does happen on occasion in space. However, the original post refers to ground combat encounters that happens under the difficulty of Advanced or Elite settings. In that, I don't think the ground encounter is really a matter of incorrect instance level placement; I say this because mobs with rifles and assault weapons aren't really any more difficult than what is expected on those difficulty settings, which is to say the mobs did not having a fatal and insane dps rate.

The mobs with the unreasonably lethal dps rates that I've encountered and from the tales of a few of the other players I've conversed on this, seem to agree that this can be insolated to the dual-wielding pistol guys. Yet, since I don't know about the dual-wielding mobs' damage formulas and how great their point-blank bonuses are, I can't really say for certain and you could be correct that some of the mobs are simply level inappropriate.

Just for the sake of conversation, I've had these lethal encounters at Rear Admiral LH/UH and at Vice Admiral levels.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oops ya im new sorry, i meant deep space encounters :) what was strange about the few ive been in with the high level npcs was i had always just killed like 6 or so npcs leveled correctly, then here come these 50's rolling in lol. also just to clear it up in my own head, have you indeed seen the levels of the npcs that are overpowered u come across or are they killing you too fast or something & u cant see it?