test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Federation Cloaking Device

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
From what I can remember from the episode of TNG where the enterprise is sent to look for Commander Rikers first starship posting the Pegasus the Federation was not allowed to research and develop cloaking technology without violating the treaty with the Romulans... now that the treaty is no longer and the Federation and the Romulans are now in all out war why has the federation not developed their own cloaks?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    While I can't completely agree that the treaty is defunct and that the Feds and Rommies are in all out war, methinks you haven't seen that the Federation does have cloaking devices now.*

I'll stick to my Intrepid retrofit, though, because that's my favorite ship design (and I'm a huge Voyager fanboi, so I guess that factors into it, as well. :p )

*(Galaxy X and Defiant retrofit)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'll make up a reason. It's by no means canon or soft canon. :P

First off Starfleet simply isn't as good at making cloaking technology. Both the Klingons and Romulans excel much more at this tech. Romulan and Klingon ships were designed with Cloak in mind while Starfleet ships were not.
    Using that logic we might assume that for tech and design reasons Starfleet ships simply aren't as effective at cloaking.

In the events of Nemesis the Romulans developed a perfect cloak which could surpass all defenses. This led the Federation to greatly increase funding towards anti-cloaking technology.
    Eventually a breakthrough was reached that nullified this cloaking technology and made normal cloaking much less effective.

Both the remaining Romulans and Klingons tried to counter this however with limited success. They succeeded in developing cloak that was still plausible though no longer as tough to find (like in STO).

Starfleet at this point wants to put cloak on their ships but it's controversial politically from within the Federation and from outside of it. Many in the Federation don't want to be cloaking around "like pirates" and want to keep the Federation imagine clean. Many factions outside the Federation go anywhere from expressing concern to discontinuing diplomatic relations.

The talk of cloak in Starfleet ships certainly didn't help Klingon/Federation relations...

When the decision was made to start putting cloak on ships they found that their same counter measures developed to counter other "perfect cloaks" like on the Scimitar coupled with the fact that Starfleet ships weren't designed to use Cloaks and were therefore slightly less effective at them made the cloaked Starfleet ships a waste of resources.

This slowed down cloaking progression for Starfleet significantly. However eventually they would develop technological upgrades much like the Romulans and Klingons did to allow it to be possible.

Putting these new cloaks on each ship was cost prohibitive however due to the Cardassian and Romulan aid. It would require a huge amount of resources to refit current ships with the new cloaking technology.

That said they began slow. Under the guidance of Miles O'Brien they developed a cheaper way to implant the technology on the existing Defiant-class designs up to the standards of the Klingon and Romulan cloak.
    Their next project would be on the newer Dreadnaught Galaxy refits.

Facing success it's still a ways to go before special refit designs could be put on more ships. It takes time and resources to make the Starfleet ships which are most of the time not designed for cloak and often too old. In fact there is talk of abandoning already made models and just making all or most future Starfleet designs cloak ready to avoid huge refit costs.

So the future of Starfleet would seem to involve cloak.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The-Eraser wrote:
    From what I can remember from the episode of TNG where the enterprise is sent to look for Commander Rikers first starship posting the Pegasus the Federation was not allowed to research and develop cloaking technology without violating the treaty with the Romulans... now that the treaty is no longer and the Federation and the Romulans are now in all out war why has the federation not developed their own cloaks?

It's ok its not like the Federation can take on a fleet of Scimitars :)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Though its pretend politics it seems to me the average STO player does not understand politics all that well.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I made a klingon character and this battle cloak is sweet... I have had a few times where my shields are down and my armor is at 25% against 2 or more enemies... so I drop the sheilds entirely and hit the cloak. taking a few more shots my armor is down to 10 - 2% and I survive to rebuild my armor and shields.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The treaty between the Federation and the Romulans is not enforceable when one of the sides is nearly wiped out by a supernova. Also, the Romulans loaned the technology to the Feds for the Defiant; and as Gul Dukat said, never underestimate the Federation's technical skill. I'm sure they can copy technology with the best of them.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    well the thing is in the voyager episode Endgame admiral janeways shuttle had stealth tech that was not compatible with voyager so that could mean it had a cloak and therefore is canon in a way
  • Options
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i actually find it odd that every klingon ship class seems to be fitted with a cloak , my star trek lore aint the best but as far as i understand it only birds of prey had cloaks and a few special purpose ships , cloaks wherent a mass thing , unlike romulans whos ships all had cloaks for every class ,
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The-Eraser wrote:

They have, The new tier Defiant that comes with 1.2 has one
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Canmore wrote:
    i actually find it odd that every klingon ship class seems to be fitted with a cloak , my star trek lore aint the best but as far as i understand it only birds of prey had cloaks and a few special purpose ships , cloaks wherent a mass thing , unlike romulans whos ships all had cloaks for every class ,

I think the first episode with cloaking Vor'cha Warships was the DS9 Episode "Way of the Warrior" so i guess it's canon.
    (The Ships of the Klingon Fleet cloaked and decloaked to mask the true strength of the fleet)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh dear god, not again. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes again!
    Awesome! :p

The Feds suck at cloaks??

HA!

They made not only a cloak but a device phasing ships out of reality so it can fly through matter!
    That´s miles above any gorram cloak.

Yes, Cryptic should work on giving us a proper storyline on the cloaking issue already.
    Now that they are TWO fracking ships with it!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ugh.... i is tired of fed cloak threads of DOOOOOM
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Valenn wrote: »
    I think the first episode with cloaking Vor'cha Warships was the DS9 Episode "Way of the Warrior" so i guess it's canon.
    (The Ships of the Klingon Fleet cloaked and decloaked to mask the true strength of the fleet)

that was galrons flag task force not a standard klingon fleet .
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    now that I think of it the federation do have cloaks.... proof = Star trek Insurection the holo ship was federation in design and cloaked.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    AHHHH how did i miss that, i said earlier that admiral janeways shuttle was said to have a cloak in endgame we all saw it used for god sake. she was cloaked when she was in taking to the Borg queen from within the unicomplex
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The-Eraser wrote:
    now that I think of it the federation do have cloaks.... proof = Star trek Insurection the holo ship was federation in design and cloaked.

If memory serves me it wasn't cloaked as merely camoflagued by holographic images.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If memory serves me it wasn't cloaked as merely camouflaged by holographic images.

Which is a form of cloak :)