If you were the Captain of Voyager Pt. 1

2»

Comments

  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Very little makes sence in Star trek once you think about it for a second or two.

    Data's brain should explode even in Star trek physics (it's antimatter in a matter frame)

    the federation is only a year at maximum warp across, which according to voyager is 1000 times the speed of light (80,000 years from home 80 years to get back) so the federation isn't even taking up a fraction of the volume of the "Alpha quadrant" (what ever that is)

    it goes on. but those are two of the sillest.
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    Very little makes sence in Star trek once you think about it for a second or two.

    Data's brain should explode even in Star trek physics (it's antimatter in a matter frame)

    the federation is only a year at maximum warp across, which according to voyager is 1000 times the speed of light (80,000 years from home 80 years to get back) so the federation isn't even taking up a fraction of the volume of the "Alpha quadrant" (what ever that is)

    it goes on. but those are two of the sillest.

    datas brain is positronic, not antimatter. but yeah the trek scale of distance and speed is really messed up.
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I'm pretty sure they mentioned in the ST V movie that the Great Barrier was at the center of the galaxy, but I know that's how they described it in the book.

    Of course, Roddenberry made it very clear that ST V was purely apocryphal and should never be seen as canon, so in the end, it wouldn't matter anyway. =)

    As for Voyager, I didn't really hate it, I just didn't find it all that entertaining.
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    like ds9 it was alittle to ham handed for me. To soap opera and action movie.
    Not enough camp or serious comentery.
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    datas brain is positronic, not antimatter. but yeah the trek scale of distance and speed is really messed up.

    Positrons are the anti particle of Electrons. they are antimatter.
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    Data's brain should explode even in Star trek physics (it's antimatter in a matter frame)

    You can contain/interact with antimatter in a magnetic field. It is entirely possible that Data's brain acts like a Penning trap to contain the positrons.

    It is possible to manipulate the magnetic fields to move the positrons and complete the circuits, enabling computations. Rather than touching the positrons directly, you can use sensors to detect the minute changes in the magnetic flied and the position moves to get your results.
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    mizarone wrote: »
    You can contain/interact with antimatter in a magnetic field. It is entirely possible that Data's brain acts like a Penning trap to contain the positrons.

    It is possible to manipulate the magnetic fields to move the positrons and complete the circuits, enabling computations. Rather than touching the positrons directly, you can use sensors to detect the minute changes in the magnetic flied and the position moves to get your results.

    Obviously they can manipulate Antimatter, but then Geordi fiddles around with it it's looks like an electrical circuit.

    They were obviously using the world positronic as a futuristic version of electronic, considering they got it from Asimov, who was doing exactly that.
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    Obviously they can manipulate Antimatter, but then Geordi fiddles around with it it's looks like an electrical circuit.

    They were obviously using the world positronic as a futuristic version of electronic, considering they got it from Asimov, who was doing exactly that.

    aasimov came up with the idea of a positronic brain for robots so they could function with humans.
    basically a positronic map or brain is a difference engine. it measures values and poses these values through a series of qualifying questions, the first being the three laws of robotics. and all the values to be processed finish their path going through the same process all over again so that the final result passes through the three laws computation once more to ensure that the result complies with the three laws.

    positronic brains have no anti matter, they are optical computers. photons not electrons. and not anti matter. if data has an antimatter power source, its likely not in his head. most likely in his torso.
    but thats just a guess.
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    aasimov came up with the idea of a positronic brain for robots so they could function with humans.
    basically a positronic map or brain is a difference engine. it measures values and poses these values through a series of qualifying questions, the first being the three laws of robotics. and all the values to be processed finish their path going through the same process all over again so that the final result passes through the three laws computation once more to ensure that the result complies with the three laws.

    positronic brains have no anti matter, they are optical computers. photons not electrons. and not anti matter. if data has an antimatter power source, its likely not in his head. most likely in his torso.
    but thats just a guess.

    I think that is actually more of a mess...
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    I think that is actually more of a mess...

    that is all together likely. i had to read the aasimov books several times and research it before i fully understood what it meant.
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I would have bought a way home from the C-Store :cool:
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    that is all together likely. i had to read the aasimov books several times and research it before i fully understood what it meant.

    Plus there is this
    When Asimov wrote his first robot stories in 1939/1940, the positron was a newly discovered particle and so the buzz word positronic, coined by analogy with electronic, added a contemporary gloss of popular science to the concept.

    So i'm not completely batty to suggest there is an analogous relation ship between the two.
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    Plus there is this



    So i'm not completely batty to suggest there is an analogous relation ship between the two.

    i would never suggest, imply or call you batty. if i came off like that i do apologise.

    ive been trek nerding on here for days and sleeping little, i may be mistaken.
    but im almost positive datas brain like all trek tech is optical technology.
    perhaps a positron is something else entirely. ima google it. ill post back tomorow, i ned slep tonight
  • Archived Post
    Archived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    ok so if i was captain of voyager first thing would be to use the caretaker array home if failed in process i would then make my way back to the alpha quadrant but break a few starfleet rules and one of does rules would be the (Treaty of Algeron) id find a way to built or get a cloaking device. that way i get to avoid kazon space for good ;)