test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Transporter Room for your ship: it's a must for interiors

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
So I just joined an RP fleet, and had my first real RP in star trek online. we beamed to one of the member's ship to have a reception, but one thing that bugged me was the fact that people always beam on to the bridge. ( I know interiors are coming I'm getting to that ) So I was thinking, when we have interiors are we still going to beam to the bridge. ( which is a bad thing ) or are we going to have a transporter room to beam to your ship. my reason for this, is when you invite someone to your ship you would think that they would transport to the transporter room. ( but your captain would spawn on the bridge. )

so what I feel must be in ship interiors is the transporter room. you could even use the transporter room from the training mission, and it needs to be a place to beam guests to your ship.

so do we know if this is coming?

do you want something like this?

and do you have any ideas that would make this better?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Wow. Of all the things I've tried to think of for ship interiors this one completely slipped my mind. It's a must. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Transporter rooms should be a must not just on ships but everywhere.
    I can see Cryptic's reasoning in having people beam on to Earth space dock where they do. "Put the noob in front of the door they're supposed to go to."
    But after that. Let's get on with the Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Transporter rooms should be a must not just on ships but everywhere.
    I can see Cryptic's reasoning in having people beam on to Earth space dock where they do. "Put the noob in front of the door they're supposed to go to."
    But after that. Let's get on with the Star Trek.

that's part of the reason why i made this thread. I want to see it in the game, and I have a bad feeling that it's going to get left out. ( and if it is left out then it most likely will not be added for a while. ) I also want to see if that is something people want.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "gamers" won't want to walk to the transporter room. "Its lame and takes too long." they'll cry. Trekkies will be like." I understand where you're coming from but, its called Star Trek, can you read?"
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "gamers" won't want to walk to the transporter room. "Its lame and takes too long." they'll cry. Trekkies will be like." I understand where you're coming from but, its called Star Trek, can you read?"

well you would have a spawn point for the captain to spawn on his bridge, and a spawn point for group members in the transporter room.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Im pretty sure Dstahl posted a list of whats expected for interiors a month or so ago, and transporter rooms were one of the things he listed.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ships and stations should have transporter rooms. That's where you go when you beam up, down or whatever.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It is very lazy to not really bother with Transporter rooms. It is one thing I hate about the game and one more missing element from the Trek mythos. Adding these and making it manditory to beam (only) from these would help A) slow down people making RA5 so quick and B) making it feel more like a Trek game!
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I love this explaination because its so true. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Morgomir wrote: »
    Im pretty sure Dstahl posted a list of whats expected for interiors a month or so ago, and transporter rooms were one of the things he listed.

do you know where that is at?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I do hope transporter rooms are part of the interiors.

It would be kind of silly to not have one.

Although could they not be transporter pad that you can fit 50 people on?

Personally I like the ones from the TOS.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:

Personally I like the ones from the TOS.

I would like to see the defiant transporter room or the Intrepid transporter room. mostly intrepid because I like the look of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Make the transporter room walking distance from the bridge (no load screens) and don't force people to use it. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Make the transporter room walking distance from the bridge (no load screens) and don't force people to use it. :)

I feel that guest should have to beam in there.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I would love to get some dev feed back.

also what type of transport room from the shows would you like?
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I agree there should be no loading screens from the bridge to the transporter room... but strongly disagree about making people use it. I think it should be the ONLY WAY on or off a ship. That is, until shuttles are introduced.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    well the best answer is.....option

just add the transporter room and if the RPers want to go there to transport..that works

if the strict gamers don't, fine they can use the normal method

it is all good.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    do you know where that is at?

Here...dug it up, dunno how to link posts so I copy/pasted it, date: 04-23.

"Here's an update on where we are at with Player Ship Interiors.
    (all subject to change as we're still in the process of building this system)

We've posted a poll to gather feedback on priorities for the interior system (if you haven't taken the poll or commented, please check the polls section).

What we're agreed on so far
    Feds and Klingon players will both get ship interiors
    Fed players will get the Fed Ship interior kit (similar to what was seen on Khitomer in tutorial)
    Klg players will get the Klingon Ship interior kit (similar to what was seen on B'Vat's ship)

The default interior will have multiple floors (similar to Khitomer in Tutorial)
    The interiors will be instanced and use turbo-lifts (depending on your video processor speed - turbo-lifts are either instant moves or a few seconds - so some players may see a brief loading screen - but you are transfering within the same map which is faster than going from map to map)
    Crew members will populate the interior and appear to be performing duties
    BOFFs will remain on the bridge - but candidates might be seen elsewhere

There will be 3 floors represented for your ship to start

Floor 1
    Bridge and Ready Room

Floor 2
    Medical Sickbay
    Lounge (like 10-Forward)
    Captain's Quarters
    Reception Room (for diplomatic purposes)

Floor 3
    Engineering / Engine Room
    Engineer's Office/Science Lab
    Transporter room

Things still up in the air - options we are discussing to improve ship interiors for launch of Season 2 - all TBD
    Creating more floorplans that you could choose from (Small vs Large)
    Creating specific versions of rooms to match IP ship designs (Galaxy Engine Room)
    Adding a customizable uniform for your crew (it may just be based on a default)
    Adding the ability to remove personal injuries in sickbay and ship injuries in engineering
    Adding mini-games to remove injuries
    Adding social mini-game such as poker
    Adding ability to place trophies/items on your interior
    Adding ability to have enemy boarding actions take place on your interior
    Adding ability to have PvP duals on each other's interiors
    Adding missions that use your interior as a part of the episode
    Having diplomatic First Contact missions take place in your reception room
    Adding ability to find new BOFF candidates working your interior that you can promote
    Building specific interior kits to match eras (TOS interior vs. TNG interior)
    Ability to purchase some items from your lounge
    Ability to craft some items in engineering or sickbay
    Adding some sort of "team bonus" for spending time on other players ships
    Attempting to shrink the kit hallways and interiors as much as possible and still maintain camera/combat
    Create a new curved hallway section to represent fed saucer ships
    Allowing players to customize kit lighting/textures

Thats a lot of features and we don't have the resources to get all of those in for the launch of Season 2 which is another reason we're using the polls and your feedback to get the interiors started on the right track so we can add to them as we go. We want to focus on a few of the items above to start.

We were also concerned that removing injuries from normal difficulty (no matter how slight there were) removes some of the coolness of having ship interior functionality for players that play on normal - since they will simply never get injured. I'm curious if players who don't want injuries on normal would change their mind if they knew they would be missing that."

original post on this thread:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2591347#post2591347

Expect the transporter room to be like the ones you have seen in game already...huge and tall.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I would be happy if they would... make it so!

I just wish the ship interiors would have been in the game right from launch on. Imagine how it would be to have acess to many of the UI/Interface options from inside your ship. You don't chose your away team in your Assignment UI screen. You're using your captains chair to open that menu, or at the last minute you change the away team at the transporter room control console.

I would love if it everytime you have to beam somewhere for a mission the game would switch to your interior first and you'd have to go to the transporter room and beam over/down/inside from there.

The game then feels more substantial? I don't know enough english to describe it spot on for me. The quick access to everything and every feature might be efficient and "comfortable"... but thats something I want for my office and word programs... My games should be more about, feel, atmosphere and experience. :P
    (Saddly those "uncomfortable" changes to the flow of the game would cause a riot on the forums... as everything seems to be that changes ...)

But yes. If they would at least put visitors to your ship in the transporter room when we finally have them... that would be awesome.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Darkjedi wrote: »
    I agree there should be no loading screens from the bridge to the transporter room... but strongly disagree about making people use it. I think it should be the ONLY WAY on or off a ship. That is, until shuttles are introduced.

what I would like to see is two options for the captain.

if you go to bridge in a starbase. then when you beam to the ship. you beam to the transporter pad.

if you are in sector space, or in one of the systems where you can go to bridge, then you spawn in your ready room, or bridge.

as for guest. they need to spawn in the transporter room.

also thank you Morgomir
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cyllus wrote: »
    Wow. Of all the things I've tried to think of for ship interiors this one completely slipped my mind. It's a must. :D

I agree but I think the transporter rooms should be appropriate to the class of ship. Galaxy class gets the tng era transporter rooms, defiant class gets theirs and voyager gets theirs. Then they need to make the starship bridges appropriate. er appropriate per ship. Like the galaxy class needs to get the proptype bridge that is available for the soverign class starship which is missing a brige chair by the captain btw. But its just a suggestion.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    a must!

/10chars
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You can still beam into a transporter room when you beam down. Similar to when you beam down to Memory Alpha. The Sol Station has a transporter room door, but I guess it is under construction because you cannot enter through the door.

I can see why Cryptic may not want you to go to the transporter room to beam up as you may have 50 people crowding the transporter room, but you can have it as an arrival point.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In COH/COV there is an engine that allows players to design their own super team bases using environment tiles and currency. You can take all the peices and configure them however you like and in whatever order, and if you want more space, you can simply pay to have more room for new components. Something like that in this game would be most excellent. That way you could have a set layout for your ship interiors you've made yourself, and can descide what style interiors you wants to use.

For a costume junky like me, it would be the holy grail. I'd spend all my time designing different interiors for all my ships and then run around through them.