test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WARNING: Don´t buy STO without a Gametime Code!

2»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    It is a US game made by a US company so I don't think it is stereotyping.
    released in an EU market.

If you want to release your product in other countries outside the US, at least have the balls to adapt their 'standard' method of payment.
    edited May 2010
    Acylion wrote:
    This is pretty typical for MMOs nowdays. I'm not sure why they do this. Perhaps they think players are too stupid to realise they need to pay month by month, and want to make sure you do. Maybe they want you to commit from the outset. I dunno.

Three words for this Business model. America On Line

The reason is usually because you have to make the effort to cancel the subscription and they don't have to worry about having people dedicated to mailing out payment reminders.
    edited May 2010
    Kelteel wrote: »
    In Germany you can pay via ELV, the most common payment method here. No idea if this available to other european countries.

Most accepted form of payment today: PAYPAL

I hate the commissions, but it works VERY well. STO even uses it.
    edited May 2010
    Wow, thread sure went on.

Thnx on the paypal tip and even the disses. Very hilarious.

I´m way past asking mommy and daddy for anything, but still confine myself to the barest minimals concering internet money dealings. Heck I refuse to do even online banking, as should everybody IMHO.
    Trusting the internet with your money is always a loosing propostition for the consumer, thnx to the banks and their cutthroat policies on damages through hacking.

GTC is already ordered.
    edited May 2010
    910burns wrote: »
    Most accepted form of payment today: PAYPAL

I hate the commissions, but it works VERY well. STO even uses it.

As I said, in germany i can pay via ELV, so why should i bother with PAYPAL?

My response was to Slough-3yeZ complaint, that cryptic did not adapt payment methods to local markets, and at least in the case of germany, thats wrong.

@ivarST: I see that you are from germany, what you are worried about when paying with ELV?
    edited May 2010
    ivarST wrote:
    Well isn´t that special! :mad:

Was happy to find the game somewhat cheap and figured the sentence:
    "This Activation Code entails 30 Days Gametime"

Means I can play 30 days after I register the key..

WRONG!

If you don´t want to submit any personal banking data like me, then you need to buy a GAMETIME CODE on top of your gamebox to get your FREE 30 days. :rolleyes:

I EFFIN HOPE!
    Didn´t come that far yet in my Cryptic MMO experience. :mad:

Maybe anybody else successfully subscribed with game and GTC only?
    NOT dumping anymore money in this until I know this works as the following text on the ADD SUBSCRIPTION page confuses the hell out of me.

:confused:

Cool story
    edited May 2010
    Game Cards are a sunscription option when you do not feel like giving out your CC info. The more and more games you play / try and more chance someone will misuse your CC info. (Warhammer CC problem anyone?)

So setting up a game card sub is an option. #1 problem is they require you to buy a game card to set it up. The 30 months "free" with software purchase doesn't count towards needing a new card number... I feel this needs changed. The account should prompt you for a new card # any time the sub time runs out.
    edited May 2010
    Asked and answered, four pages worth. Can we put this thread to bed now?

:cool:
    edited May 2010
    Capulet wrote: »
    Cool story

Yeah, not over "bra".

Got brandnew packaged GTC, entered everything properly.

Guess what?
    This product key is already active, it cannot be used again.

Whoppee \o/

50 € down the drain, thnx craptic. :mad:
    edited May 2010
    ivarST wrote:
    Yeah, not over "bra".

Got brandnew packaged GTC, entered everything properly.

Guess what?

Whoppee \o/

50 € down the drain, thnx craptic. :mad:

It doesn't say invalid, right? If it's already active then the time should already be on your account. Does the MY ACCOUNT page say when you're paid up to? If not, you can always contact billing.

edited May 2010
    you'd think after all the banking fiasco, that people would of cut there cc's up.
    maybe i'm old but money is money and a cc is plastic. good tho for tinting windows
    edited May 2010
    Cygnus-X-1 wrote:
    It doesn't say invalid, right? If it's already active then the time should already be on your account. Does the MY ACCOUNT page say when you're paid up to? If not, you can always contact billing.

No, my account is still only a demo. As it won´t accept my product key without a game time key.
    I´m actually not sure which one is "already in use". Could be product or the gametime. Though the error appears when I enter the game time.
    Both came in nice pristine clear wrapped DVD-boxes from Amazon(germany).

Which says a lot about Cryptics game time code security, I guess. :mad:
    Yeah, sure I´ll trust them with my banking data... :rolleyes:

Made a ticket but still no reply after 10 hours, eff that shiat. Should´ve heeded my own advice from the first post. :(
    edited May 2010
    Thats the problem with time cards. They are great for people who do not want to give out CC info but they are easy as all get out to steal the numbers off of and still sell them. Happens all the time in local game stores here in the states.

email who you bought it from and ask for another one and keep checking with cryptic maybe they can give you another code :)
    edited May 2010
    ivarST wrote:
    No, my account is still only a demo. As it won´t accept my product key without a game time key.
    I´m actually not sure which one is "already in use". Could be product or the gametime. Though the error appears when I enter the game time.
    Both came in nice pristine clear wrapped DVD-boxes from Amazon(germany).

Which says a lot about Cryptics game time code security, I guess. :mad:
    Yeah, sure I´ll trust them with my banking data... :rolleyes:

Made a ticket but still no reply after 10 hours, eff that shiat. Should´ve heeded my own advice from the first post. :(

I don't get it. You say you have a retail (product) key and a gametime key, yes? But you don't know which is which. The account is still only a Demo. So the retail key needs to be entered.

Did you try both keys? What message do you get for each? I see a whole lotta Cryptic bashing for something that shouldn't be too difficult.

Can you click here and give us some clue as to what it says?

edited May 2010
    Actually, IvarST did say he had the game. Earlier threads complained that he couldn't play is free 30 days because a subscription was required. Now he has entered is 60-day gamecard, and he seems to be complaining about more problems?

A phone call to billing should fix the problem now... but then again what country is he in?
    edited May 2010
    I´m very well aware of which key is which, but the error I get on hitting submit is somewhat ambiguous.

In case you´re not familiar with the 1st time subscription process with a gametime card:
    After getting prompted to enter the "Produkt Key" (which I did) and choosing "Game Time Card" on the following screen another field appears under it to enter the key.
    Hitting submit then leads to my current error, with the Game time Card area flashing red.

So I´m 90% sure the GTC is stolen.

The error thus aborts the whole registration process as I complained about in the very first post of this thread.

As I already said, these are originally wrapped boxes from Amazon-Germany so the "security breach" has to be somewhere higher up. I checked of course Amazons return policy, but SURPRISE, the DVD boxes must be unopened. Tricky stuff when you need break the packaging to find out if everything works.
    Smart bastiches them ´zons.

At least my ticket got finally answered and I´m contact with a GM. Also not so pi$$ed off anymore. :p

The saga continues..
    edited May 2010
    Lol, I went out to GameStop today and bought the game. Came home and thought the same thing, that I could just play for 30 days then pay. Had to go back out to Best Buy and get a code. So at least I'm set for 3 months, but it would of been nice to have some clarification on that. Or just have 30 days to play without having to put in any payment information.

So you can play STO with just the Game Time cards, and never have to pay by credit card?
    edited May 2010
    So you can play STO with just the Game Time cards, and never have to pay by credit card?

Yes. This is the way STO allows "Children" (under Credit Card age) to have accounts.
    edited May 2010
    wrote:
    Yes, welcome to the wonderful world of GTCs. :D

Actually I played Eve-Online for a couple of years exclusively through GTCs.
    Those Icelanders are much more sensible about subscribing and GTCs in general. It´s been a while since I 1st subscribed to EVE, but IIRC on starting an account they only require you to enter a GTC. That´s it.

Anyway, on to the finale of my epic struggle with the stolen GTC&aborted Registration.

Not sure how much is allowed to say about GM interactions, so I´ll just state that now all is good. Space is full of fluffy rainbows again, and Klings are still choleric and smelly.
    My account is activated has even 97 days game time added to it (nice touch :) ) and I´m somewhat mollified. ;)
    edited May 2010
    910burns wrote: »
    Yes. This is the way STO allows "Children" (under Credit Card age) to have accounts.
    :eek:
    /starts huffing and puffing

Well Sirrah, I must resolutely take umbrage to this insinuation. ;)
    It is well sensible to not spray your vital financial data to databases all across teh internetz.
    :p
    edited May 2010
    You may Huff, and you may Puff, but you shall never blow my starbase down!

I understand your argument... the "Majority" of people put the card out there. I myself use PAYPAL, because I can argue the charge better if there is a problem.

Oh, and congradulations on getting an extra week (for 97 days total) on your account.
    edited May 2010
    ivarST wrote:
    Those Icelanders are much more sensible about subscribing and GTCs in general. It´s been a while since I 1st subscribed to EVE, but IIRC on starting an account they only require you to enter a GTC. That´s it.

Yes, EVE is free to download. You don't have to pay for the software, just the game time. Star Trek Online requires a retail purchase. EVE has a 14 day trial. Star Trek Online gives you 30 days of free playtime.

That's it.

edited May 2010
    ?The other alternative is to get a greendot or netspend Visa or Mastercard ebit, load it with your money when you want to play leave it empty when you don't.

I have done this for years with other mmo's and have never been overdrawn, if it doesn't go through you just don't get game time for that month, and when you come back you only get charged for the month your coming back in, and it goes 30 days from date payed not from original due date. so if you come back on m31 at 1 pm your good until june 31st at 1pm. evben if the original due date is the 15th.
    edited July 2010
    I actually found a way to get the free month without giving up any credit card info. You choose the PayPal feature thing, then you go to PayPal in a different window or tab, make an account (don't put in the credit card info), then tell the subscription page to go try and find that stuff. Then you go back to your account info and it should say you are registered to pay with PayPal, but it doesn't have your credit card info :) I'm too young to get one haha. Hooray for loopholes!

EDIT: You do not have to buy the game card either haha. Thought some people might get confused and eat my soul.
    edited July 2010
    Bought it on Steam for $16

Free 30 days

edited July 2010
    not all major mmo.

you can get a 14-21 day trial for eve without giving them credit card info. its after the trial if you want to subscribe then you pay.
    edited July 2010
    Nickison wrote:
    I actually found a way to get the free month without giving up any credit card info. You choose the PayPal feature thing, then you go to PayPal in a different window or tab, make an account (don't put in the credit card info), then tell the subscription page to go try and find that stuff. Then you go back to your account info and it should say you are registered to pay with PayPal, but it doesn't have your credit card info :) I'm too young to get one haha. Hooray for loopholes!

EDIT: You do not have to buy the game card either haha. Thought some people might get confused and eat my soul.

It works, Just started playing, Didnt have a credit card on hand. :cool:
    edited July 2010
    I'm an LTS. :cool:

Though I can see your trouble.
    edited July 2010
    ivarST wrote:
    :eek:
    /starts huffing and puffing

Well Sirrah, I must resolutely take umbrage to this insinuation. ;)
    It is well sensible to not spray your vital financial data to databases all across teh internetz.
    :p

Sdaly. In the modern age - that info is already out there and avialible to nay who have the sklills to use to villianous ends. Luckily your like the rest of us and not of the finicial status to warrant theft.