test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Farewell STO and a few suggestions

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Looks like STO wasnt for me. That's fine, alot of games arent for me.

I dont know what you had in mind Cryptic. If this was supposed to be a casual MMO and a lure for all the people who say they dont have time for MMOs because they are life suckers and too daunting, that's all fine but unless I see an Ad for this game in the next ST movie or during TNG reruns, its aimed at MMO people who are not casula and don't find them daunting. If it was your goal to make a casual and get more in to the MMO genre, big /salute for trying but you need to follow up with proper marketing.

As for keeping the MMO side of your subs happy? There are all kinds of possibilites. Your problem is time. You need to balance the PvP, even if you dont plan to make this game PvP oriented. If you plan to have it in the game, it needs to be balanced. PvE you have a good system. It can be expanded and has a decent core. FFS, fix the bugs. That systematic beam array shut down really borked this game for me.

Like I said, I dont know what you had planned for this. GL anyway. I could say I will be back to the history says otherwise. Most MMOs I leave in 3 months or less, I never return to :[
Sorry, just being truthfull.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Ioci wrote:
    I dont know what you had in mind Cryptic.

A game for the 40 year olds?

I think if Totally Games had another go and listened to fans and pulled ideas from other star trek games with a real feel that you are part of the game they could probably do a close to star trek mmo game that works.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ioci wrote:
    I dont know what you had in mind Cryptic. If this was supposed to be a casual MMO and a lure for all the people who say they dont have time for MMOs because they are life suckers and too daunting,

The design is a hybrid. What you're sensing is part of the design, yes. But also they are putting in more console game friendly bits and pieces. Because they most likely feel that they can circumvent their competition in the genre if they can find the formula that lets them tap into the console demographic. That's why you get things like accolades, and achievements and difficulty sliders and dynamic combat and customization. And don't get things like end-game raiding, tiered levels of end-game loot progression, and things that you are probably more comfortable with in your MMO experience.

Part of it is casual. The other part is ... they're trying to appeal to a different demographic.
    that's all fine but unless I see an Ad for this game in the next ST movie or during TNG reruns,

They ran ads on Spike and Syfy. During TNG reruns. So ... there ya have it.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    StarVoyage wrote:
    A game for the 40 year olds?

I think if Totally Games had another go and listened to fans and pulled ideas from other star trek games with a real feel that you are part of the game they could probably do a close to star trek mmo game that works.

I'm 42 and it's too slow for me at endgame/ too fast to endgame. I have plenty of friends in the 36+ group who play MMOs. They dont want laid back, relaxed, take me by the hand quest systems. They want Sandbox, leave me alone systems that take them away from the rat race. I dont think demographics was really a consideration. They tried to make STO 'Worry free'. From the way you level to the life time Sub.

12, 22, 42. Most of us are MMO enthusiasts and we got that way by playing hard games that push boundaries on our real lives. They are a hobby to us and a part of our 'real life' not an invasion on it. When I come home from work I want to look forward to my MMO. I havent logged in for 3 days. Alot of people I am sure would love a game they arent expected to log in to every day. If Cryptic can reach that group they might do well. It isnt for me to begrude them that. That and MMOs have been sharing the same group of people for 10 years now. Trading subs with new companies, new games and never growing as a whole group. If anything the number of people playing MMOs is getting smaller. So even if I am not playing this MMO, if Cryptic can attract 400K people to them the $100 I spent here is in my view an MMO investment and I wish them well on thier venture.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Something to remember, Champions Online is still supposedly having an XBox 360 version in development. If that ever works, then plans to do so with STO may be activated.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    superchum wrote: »
    The design is a hybrid. What you're sensing is part of the design, yes. But also they are putting in more console game friendly bits and pieces. Because they most likely feel that they can circumvent their competition in the genre if they can find the formula that lets them tap into the console demographic. That's why you get things like accolades, and achievements and difficulty sliders and dynamic combat and customization. And don't get things like end-game raiding, tiered levels of end-game loot progression, and things that you are probably more comfortable with in your MMO experience.

Part of it is casual. The other part is ... they're trying to appeal to a different demographic.

They ran ads on Spike and Syfy. During TNG reruns. So ... there ya have it.

I've never seen thier ads. I watch some Spike, alot of Space channel. Means nothing though. Its usually Fringe or something, not reruns of TNG.
    As far as 'My MMO' at this point though I have alot of resentments I think I will head back to EvE untill something equal comes along. After 5 months of sterile MOs I need a good dose of MMO fightclub.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    superchum wrote: »
    Something to remember, Champions Online is still supposedly having an XBox 360 version in development. If that ever works, then plans to do so with STO may be activated.

They have a functioning 360 client they use in house. It does work. The problem is Microsoft will not make a reasonable offer for support of the game in their network at a reasonable rate. As a result none of their games are going to that rout. I suspect Sony wouldn't be reasonable either.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ioci wrote:
    I'm 42 and it's too slow for me at endgame/ too fast to endgame. I have plenty of friends in the 36+ group who play MMOs. They dont want laid back, relaxed, take me by the hand quest systems. They want Sandbox, leave me alone systems that take them away from the rat race. I dont think demographics was really a consideration. They tried to make STO 'Worry free'. From the way you level to the life time Sub.
    And what I'm thinking of is not laid back but at the same time never in a thick of things unless you do something.

You say game play in PvP is to slow?
    Ioci wrote:
    I
    12, 22, 42. Most of us are MMO enthusiasts and we got that way by playing hard games that push boundaries on our real lives. They are a hobby to us and a part of our 'real life' not an invasion on it. When I come home from work I want to look forward to my MMO.
    Never said real life but their needs to be something but at the same time a reason for playing at a lesser level then what you were...STO doesn't have that so yes really this would be a bad thing but a worry free game is just like you have the best stuff which to a point is like why continue...and the only reason is STO is about adding new quests as time goes by and that for me just doesn't work and just don't see the point in subscribing too...which is what their hoping for so players come back.

A worthwhile to play for PvP system thats fair play with PvE as extra game play to me is what would keep people playing & paying for.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thank you for your feedback.
    At this time we are not allowing "I quit" threads, so I will be locking this thread.
This discussion has been closed.