test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"I want the stick"- a short proposal

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
The above title is a quote from another player responding to a dev about an exploration mission (Quote by Leviathan99). Rather than weapons, consoles, new BOFs, etc... he wanted artifacts from the idigenous people he helped whenever he did an Aid to the Planet mission. Something like this exists now with the new Aid to the Planet missions updated recently. These artifacts would become trophies he could keep in his bank or his ready room (this is an idea that has been mentioned by the Devs before in the Egineering reports).

I wanted to extend this idea to the deliema that RA5s face. Granted, I'm almost at commander and it has taken me over 30 hours to get there, but I sympathize with the plight for Admirals. I will be one... one day :)

Allow me to cut to the chase. No End game content? Nothing else to strive for? What about adding the following at the end or for all players?

- The ability to replay older missions to get the chance for a new skin or something else for the ship as a reward. Edit, this has been discussed by devs.

- The ability to customize our own Bridges/ Ships more with new items found/crafted at Memory Alpha. (NOT WEAPONS/ CONSOLES) These items require certain uncommon anamalous data only found in Exploration clusters. This also has been discussed by Devs, but incorporating the use of Memory Alpha and analamous data has not.

- The ability to win Cryptic points for unlocking an "achievement". This can be for doing a certain mission on elite or simply by successfully completing a ground mission without a BOF dying.
This has been added in a sense. We now have emblems that can be spent on C-store retrofits.-

Add more "titles" for unlocking certain achievements, much like what they do in Champions Online. This has been done.

- Give RA5's the special Admiral's right to submit unique story lines and/or modded items. Since more Admirals will surface eventually, this requirement to reach Admiral leval for each playable faction (Klingon/ Romulan) would not be unreasonable. Edit: The forums could be used for this idea. Devs would only approve players who have achieved the maximum rank possible in every playable faction (Currently RA5 for Feds and Klingons, possibly Romulans in the future) This means a severe limit on who could post a short script or story line in this forum would be enforced. For ideas of modded weapons, consoles, and the like... a graphic picture along with a description of possible stats would be required. Not all ideas would be approved, but Devs could come here to brainstorm with this approved players. The approved players themselves could also comment on each other's ideas. Further edit: Another idea posted on this forum is to make access possibly exclusive to Vet rewards (say 400 days or more?) With UGC confirmed, this idea can be said to met.

I just want to end this wall of text by saying that the latest difficulty slider was a bold stroke in the right direction. While I am not skilled to do anything other than normal yet, it has forced me to consider how I could do better. Definitely more challenging. I believe that the Difficulty slider combined with the upcoming ship interiors and the ideas I mentioned above could satisfy a lot of people.

Craig recently said in an interview that the players eat up the content faster than they can deliver. I think that is an accurate assesment. With this in mind, Cryptic has to focus more on giving the players something to strive for... rather than focus on churning out content. They will only burn themselves out in the end and fail to satiate the appetite of so many players.

What do you guys think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    joebobkill wrote: »
    The ability to replay older missions to get the chance for a new skin or something else for the ship as a reward.

Currently in development.
    The ability to customize our own Bridges/ Ships more with new items found/crafted at Memory Alpha. (NOT WEAPONS/ CONSOLES) These items require certain uncommon anamalous data only found in Exploration clusters.

Ship interiors are in development. This could be something that comes later.
    The ability to win Cryptic points for unlocking an "achievement". This can be for doing a certain mission on elite or simply by successfully completing a ground mission without a BOF dying.

Possibly an accolade when the accolade system is released? Not a bad idea.
    Add more "titles" for unlocking certain achievements, much like what they do in Champions Online.

More? I have too many lol. I hope not too many more. I already have a lot plus I'll be getting the ones from the Veteran rewards, oh boy! Not a bad idea though.

Give RA5's the special Admiral's right to submit unique story lines and/or modded items. Since more Admirals will surface eventually, this requirement to reach Admiral leval for each playable faction (Klingon/ Romulan) would not be unreasonable.

Not sure what you mean. You want Admirals to suggest more mission/item ideas? I feel bad for Cryptic if they allow that. Their servers will crash with all the messages. We may even take out the entire internet lol
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for your feedback, I posted some edits in green to clarify.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't want to replay old missions since I'm doing that with my alts (it gets tedious). And I don't want any more titles since I have too many to choose from. :)

But what I would like are a couple items in the OP:
    - The ability to customize our own Bridges/ Ships more with new items found/crafted at Memory Alpha. (NOT WEAPONS/ CONSOLES) These items require certain uncommon anamalous data only found in Exploration clusters. This also has been discussed by Devs, but incorporating the use of Memory Alpha and analamous data has not.

- The ability to win Cryptic points for unlocking an "achievement". This can be for doing a certain mission on elite or simply by successfully completing a ground mission without a BOF dying.

Those two would be nice. I really want new content, though, with an upped level cap. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Edit: The forums could be used for this idea. Devs would only approve players who have achieved the maximum rank possible in every playable faction (Currently RA5 for Feds and Klingons, possibly Romulans in the future) This means a severe limit on who could post a short script or story line in this forum would be enforced. For ideas of modded weapons, consoles, and the like... a graphic picture along with a description of possible stats would be required. Not all ideas would be approved, but Devs could come here to brainstorm with this approved players. The approved players themselves could also comment on each other's ideas.

Just wondering if also a second way to become an approved player to write missions and design items etc, for those who don't want to play as other factions, maybe after long active account status (eg. a years worth of being around), something along them lines.

Anyways, I do look forward to something like this tho as I quite like designing stories and missions, the other suggestions are quite good too in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm the source of this quote... and I want to extend it out further:

Desegregate fleet actions. Make the rewards for fleet actions Bridge Officers (which have value for all levels). Everybody gets one but the quality gets adjusted from white (common) all the way to purple (rare) based on a personal contribution metric. In other words, you're competing against a baseline standard for your ship type and rank instead of other players' DPS.

Have the race be random but have each Fleet Action have a small (1-5%?) chance of awarding you with exotic bridge officers (ie. opposite faction, exotic races like Borg or even rarer strange races). Each fleet action has its own "chase variant" ultra rare BO races, encouraging people to play them all.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jim-San wrote:
    Just wondering if also a second way to become an approved player to write missions and design items etc, for those who don't want to play as other factions, maybe after long active account status (eg. a years worth of being around), something along them lines.

Anyways, I do look forward to something like this tho as I quite like designing stories and missions, the other suggestions are quite good too in my opinion.

I like your idea. Possibly add access as a Vet Reward? Or make this exclusive to vet rewards?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm the source of this quote... and I want to extend it out further:

Desegregate fleet actions. Make the rewards for fleet actions Bridge Officers (which have value for all levels). Everybody gets one but the quality gets adjusted from white (common) all the way to purple (rare) based on a personal contribution metric. In other words, you're competing against a baseline standard for your ship type and rank instead of other players' DPS.

Have the race be random but have each Fleet Action have a small (1-5%?) chance of awarding you with exotic bridge officers (ie. opposite faction, exotic races like Borg or even rarer strange races). Each fleet action has its own "chase variant" ultra rare BO races, encouraging people to play them all.

I definitely like the personal contribution metric.... achievements such as "Aided four team members" or "Killed 5 cruisers without dying" should have unique rewards (You want Bofs). Also, see edited OP, I added you as the source of the quote as I could not find where it was earlier. Thanks for chiming in!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    From a KDF Perspective

Thought # 1-The ability to replay older missions to get the chance for a new skin or something else for the ship as a reward. Edit, this has been discussed by devs.

First install missions for us

Thought #2- The ability to customize our own Bridges/ Ships more with new items found/crafted at Memory Alpha. (NOT WEAPONS/ CONSOLES) These items require certain uncommon anamalous data only found in Exploration clusters. This also has been discussed by Devs, but incorporating the use of Memory Alpha and analamous data has not.

First install our version of Memory Alpha, And install craft nodes immediately, so we too can horde them up for when you fix Memory Alpha up.

Thought #3- The ability to win Cryptic points for unlocking an "achievement". This can be for doing a certain mission on elite or simply by successfully completing a ground mission without a BOF dying.

First install our missions, or make these buyable rewards using Exploration Tier 5 or Medal of Excellence. 1000 points = 100 Cryptic Points.

Thought #4- Add more "titles" for unlocking certain achievements, much like what they do in Champions Online.

Give us side specific titles, like our achievement for our "Its a good day to die", could be something like "Sacrificer" (I know, prolly a poor example)

Thought #5- Give RA5's the special Admiral's right to submit unique story lines and/or modded items. Since more Admirals will surface eventually, this requirement to reach Admiral leval for each playable faction (Klingon/ Romulan) would not be unreasonable.

No Comment here
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thought #5- Give RA5's the special Admiral's right to submit unique story lines and/or modded items. Since more Admirals will surface eventually, this requirement to reach Admiral leval for each playable faction (Klingon/ Romulan) would not be unreasonable.

No Comment here[/QUOTE]

Why? I personally love thought #5 :) Oh well, guess i'm in the minority. Thanks for bringing up the KDF perspective. I have not played the KDF side... been waiting for what you mentioned to get added first :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for bringing up the KDF perspective. I have not played the KDF side... been waiting for what you mentioned to get added first :)

Yup, the Klingons have very little compared to what Fed players have. Cryptic is still behind in delivering on promises they made a year ago. An interview from the summer of 2009 has their CCO, Jack, stating that STO will have "full PvE content for both Federation and Klingon" factions (paraphrased, might not be exact words in that order, but that's what he said).

Hence many Klingon-only players left, and the ones still around are still sore about it (rightfully so too). They only have random exploration missions and the STFs for PvE content. I log onto my Klingon once in a while, but leveling up is a boring grind.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I still think that what happened was they were focused on creating a lot of content in a short amount of time. Dshal even seemed proud to say that STO created 80 hours of content in 12 months time. Unfortunately, we discovered that this was 95% Fed and largely rinse and wash.

If they had focused on more on personal ship customization (exteriors and interiors), less amount of content and better exploration content, an actual crafting system, and other unique trophies and rewards at the beginning, we would have a returning fanbase. As it stands, we know Cryptic is focusing on inteirors and trophies... they are "updating" memory alpha in the right direction. I have hopes it is not too late, but they appear to realize they need this.

Supposedly season 2 will bring more PVE for KDF.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I support the idea of allowing us to win Cryptic Points. But if they don't allow it in CO, don't hold your breath...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I still think that what happened was they were focused on creating a lot of content in a short amount of time. Dshal even seemed proud to say that STO created 80 hours of content in 12 months time. Unfortunately, we discovered that this was 95% Fed and largely rinse and wash.

Very true.
    Supposedly season 2 will bring more PVE for KDF.

Season 2 is supposed to be very content heavy and add a lot for Klingon PvE as well. Now if I could only bring myself to trust Cryptic when they make promises. ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I like your idea. Possibly add access as a Vet Reward? Or make this exclusive to vet rewards?

Could be as a Vet reward yes as either 300 or 400 days would prob be acceptable to know how things work etc, but as an exclusive offer prob not so much as there should always be more then 1 way to get something.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jim-San wrote:
    Could be as a Vet reward yes as either 300 or 400 days would prob be acceptable to know how things work etc, but as an exclusive offer prob not so much as there should always be more then 1 way to get something.

I'm curious.. why should there always be more than 1 way of getting something? If the purpose is to be exclusive, then adding more ways to get this "exclusive" reward would be rendering the reward as something that is NOT exclusive.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm curious.. why should there always be more than 1 way of getting something? If the purpose is to be exclusive, then adding more ways to get this "exclusive" reward would be rendering the reward as something that is NOT exclusive.

Most likely the suggestion is driven by personal desire. That exclusive thing is something that person wants. And so they want an easier way of getting it. On a basic level I can understand and sympathize with such logic. But that does indeed defeat the purpose of making that exclusive item special.

So while I may be sympathetic to the cause, logically I am far more swayed by your point. If something is so easy to acquire, it's not very special.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    superchum wrote: »
    Most likely the suggestion is driven by personal desire. That exclusive thing is something that person wants. And so they want an easier way of getting it. On a basic level I can understand and sympathize with such logic. But that does indeed defeat the purpose of making that exclusive item special.

So while I may be sympathetic to the cause, logically I am far more swayed by your point. If something is so easy to acquire, it's not very special.

I hate to say it... but thats exactly the basic kind of desire.. not logic that has so many people up in arms about the RAF program. If it was logical, it would be correct. However, it is illogical. How spock of me :)