test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Warhammer 40,000 discussion thread

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Ten Forward
After all, why not? I can think of three people off the top of my head (excluding myself) who play W40k (or a form thereof).

So let's start a Warhammer 40k discussion thread.

I'll start it off.

So Raven and Daev, have either of you gotten a chance to try the Last Stand mode in DoW2? I've gotten my Space Marine up to level 10, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

If anything can be said about DoW2, it's that it's got replay value out the wazoo.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Can't say I have tried Last Stand Mode. Been busy with school and a few stories I am working on in addition to some STO.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You haven't played Last Stand until you've done it as an orc.

=]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Give it a whirl when you get a chance.

You and two other people (either invited friends or random people from the interwebs) against wave after wave of... just about everything the game can throw at you. It's a lot of fun. Makes no sense whatsoever canonically (you can have a Mekboy, a Farseer and a Space Marine all working together to mow down Imperial Guardsmen) but still a ton of fun. And as you gain levels you unlock new wargear to use.

At level 10 on my Space Marine, I can choose from a bolter, a power axe, a plasma pistol, a bolter pistol, and a chainsword as well as two different sets of armor and a bunch of extra accessories that give me various abilities. I think next level I get my hammer.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hm, wrong thread. It says Warhammer 40k in the title, but everybody is talking about Dawn of War II.:D

Anybody here who plays the 40k RPG's of Fantasy Flight Games? I'm waiting for Deathwatch at the moment. A shame they never had an army list in the tabletop.:(
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cheeseus wrote: »
    You haven't played Last Stand until you've done it as an orc.

=]

Yeah, the Mekboy can kick some major TRIBBLE from afar, but I like jumping into the fray and hacking my enemies to bits with my power axe way too much to focus on leveling up an Ork. :p

Once I get my Space Marine to 20, the next one I'll be working on is my Sorcerer of anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    K-Tar wrote:
    Hm, wrong thread. It says Warhammer 40k in the title, but everybody is talking about Dawn of War II.:D

Anybody here who plays the 40k RPG's of Fantasy Flight Games? I'm waiting for Deathwatch at the moment. A shame they never had an army list in the tabletop.:(

See, I kept thinking this, too. This is all gonna be about Tabletop miniatures discussion and I was holding back a *very* good, yet semi-scathing commentary on the hobby that I decided not to use because, I understand the allure and was into the tabletop game for awhile in the past.

It's sometimes best to let folks have their fun. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gold-Rush wrote: »
    See, I kept thinking this, too. This is all gonna be about Tabletop miniatures discussion and I was holding back a *very* good, yet semi-scathing commentary on the hobby that I decided not to use because, I understand the allure and was into the tabletop game for awhile in the past.

It's sometimes best to let folks have their fun. :)

When did I say you couldn't talk about the tabletop? :rolleyes:

I just started the thread with DoW2.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    When did I say you couldn't talk about the tabletop? :rolleyes:

I just started the thread with DoW2.

All implied, good sir.

The way you moved that salt shaker across your desk while you were typing this with a web cam in view spoke VOLUMES !! :eek:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I miss playing the table top.
    I'm also sad that my ex still has MY table top SpaceHulk game (got for free at a con)
    I want to paint miniatures....

*waaaa*
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I miss playing the table top.
    I'm also sad that my ex still has MY table top SpaceHulk game (got for free at a con)
    I want to paint miniatures....

*waaaa*

I miss the tabletop too, but I can never find anyone who will play with me. The moment I find a single other person I know who's even remotely interested in 40k, I will immediately march out to Something To Do and buy a Space Marine army, rulebooks, and paints right then and there.

But that'll never happen because nobody around here cares. :(
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I miss the tabletop too, but I can never find anyone who will play with me. The moment I find a single other person I know who's even remotely interested in 40k, I will immediately march out to Something To Do and buy a Space Marine army, rulebooks, and paints right then and there.

Yeah....I would need to get the updated codexs too....*sigh*
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah....I would need to get the updated codexs too....*sigh*

Codices.

The plural of "codex" is "codices."
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Codices.

The plural of "codex" is "codices."

Likes whatevers and stuffs :p
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I have no one to play with, which is no problem because I'm so bad at painting that I would never get an army together that is bigger than a kill team or a celluloid-list.:D But I just love building and modifying the miniatures. I have to get the new Blood Angels sprues sometime to upgrade my Blood Angel honor guard Deathwatch brother, but first I have to make a few Space Wolves.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I love building terrain pieces too....ohhhh so much fun (seriously) :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I.... I have a confession. Next week, when I finally draw a full paycheck, I'm going out and buying theAssault on Black Reach boxed set... Best of all, I'm getting it at a severely discounted price, thanks to my father's now fully online retail outlet, WarGames South.

Yes, that was a plug. Yes, you should order from him. No, regardless of what it looks like, D&D isn't all he carries.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Man I woulld rather use a bed but I suppose tabletops are cool too....sorry you cant find no one to play with you, But for 40,000 Bucks you would think you would have some kind of luck with that...but too be honest I dont know if you really NEEED a whole army to paint Bro, I mean hell you planning on putting that up on youtube or something? By they way last I checked they dont make a rulebook for that kinda thing anyhow, However there might be a law against it in your state.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i first came across WH40K when i picked up dark crusade form a friend and have wanted to get in to the table top ever since, just im poor so i dont have the nessery funds for fielding a repeatable army.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have a decent sized (4000 point almost...HAHAHAHA) Imperial Guard army. Here is roughly their paint style. They also have white piping on their uniforms and their boots are white.

Officers have a lighter blue and gold piping instead of white.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Love the asthetics, some of the back ground, but the game never appealed to me.

probably to much of an FPS kiddy as a teenager.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I am currently doing a playthrough of DoW 2 and am gonna get Choas Rising expansion as soon as I'm done the campaign again. I was never in to the tabletop rpg scene, mainly because nobody I hung out with played. I did play Magic the Gathering, and my little bro got into yugioh so I played that with him and his friends(still have the deck I built out of my bros cards). I only got into Warhammer due to the DoW series of games, I love them all and the universe is so awesome. Would love a MMO to be made so I could RP in that :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Permission to have inappropriate thoughts about Orni requested.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I is 40K player. Ultramarines 4th Company and Necrons
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Khorak wrote: »

My terrain making skills always makes the boys come running :p
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Khorak wrote: »

Nobody else needs permission, why should you? Most guys here have inappropriate thoughts about the Orni-thingy.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The Ultramarines are pretty good. I field a pre-heresy Luna Wolves army and a post-heresy Imperial Fists army consisting of 4 companies. It sucks because I have no one around me that plays and the closest gaming place is in another country.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I didnt get DoWII cause of the whole steam thing which i dont want on my pc, had the whole DoW with expansions which provided many many hours of fun, as for the tabletop i never got round to the 40K universe, had warhammer and lotr miniatures out on a table until i moved house and didnt have room for them so they are in a box, would love to get some necron miniatures since they are my favourite 40K faction
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Hah, another Ultramarines player. I played Ultramarines 2nd Company and Black Templars, but in my heart I will always be an Ultramarine.

I tried Orks for a bit too, but found it harder to achieve the same combined arms tactics I used with Space Marines.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hah, another Ultramarines player. I played Ultramarines 2nd Company and Black Templars, but in my heart I will always be an Ultramarine.

I tried Orks for a bit too, but found it harder to achieve the same combined arms tactics I used with Space Marines.

The words 'Orks' and 'Tactics' don't belong in the same sentence. :p

I've been doing some research on the game. Orks just seem to throw massive waves of Boyz at the opponent until the opponent stops breathing. One of the many reasons I'm going with the Orks.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Daevan wrote:
    The words 'Orks' and 'Tactics' don't belong in the same sentence. :p

I've been doing some research on the game. Orks just seem to throw massive waves of Boyz at the opponent until the opponent stops breathing. One of the many reasons I'm going with the Orks.

Fun part about Orks is they don't break as long as their mob has at least twelve guys in it. And even then they can still mob up.

But no description of Orks is complete without covering the Waaaagh!. I like Wikipedia's description of the Waaaagh!:
    Ork behavior is dominated by the Waaagh!, a gestalt psychic field they generate that affects the Ork psyche, as it allows Orks to instinctively recognize who is 'bigga' and therefore in charge. All Orks generate this field, and it grows stronger as the Orks enjoy themselves, generally while fighting. The Waaagh! helps give momentum (and the name) to the Orks' planet-crushing Waaagh!s. These Waaagh!s are a cross between a mass migration, holy war, looting party and pub brawl, with a bit of genocide thrown in for good measure.