test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sector space travel needs some work...

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
It seems to me that travel in sector space just doesn't feel right, first off I sure as heck don't feel like I am traveling at warp, even if the speed slider says I am (top that off with me wishing the speed was displayed all the time and not just when I mouse over it).... Perhaps a warp animation of some kind ? Similar to the trans-warp wormhole thing? So say you leave orbit ( you warp out to sector space with the nice ingame animation that exists) and now you set course and then warp again with a little nacelles glow charge up ?

Or maybe a star-blur effect like seen in the shows when they were looking out windows? I am not sure exactly how it would look as we are in 3rd person view when traveling at warp...

Sector space could use a bit more life too, comets? asteroid belts? I dunno, more NPC ships?

Also the warping between sectors needs work , I know you have to have a way to switch sectors (that fits how the server instances are set up) but when I "warp" to a new sector, I literally feel like I traveled an inch in space.

Perhaps a loading screen more fitting to warp travel would be better (showing the galaxy map, with the sector you were in and the sector you are going to, with an animated warp line or something?) facts about the sector you are going to would be great also!!! I know half the time it shows me screen-shots of klingons or the station at SOL and I go meh... loading... shudder....

I know there are more pressing issues, but these are just some ideas that I wanted to get off my chest. Maybe for patches down the road , after more pressing content is added :D

Best of luck Dev's :cool:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    I agree some of the sectors need a little more going on in them... comet is an interesting idea, usually planetary not a sector thing though I suppose.

Personally I'd like to see two things, one easy, one challenging.

Easy, i wish they made the 'ribbons' you see Warp Corridors that actually sped you up like a freeway. If you want to click and 'auto-nav' a destination fine, go slow... if you want to sit there and drive, give us an express lane.

More difficult; for the Dev's at least; warp space, or sector space should actually be a couple different views... you should start with a view like our star list today, tell your navigator where you want to go and click.... it computes a time and you get a long timer bar ticking away.... during this time you should have a at least two options, (a) astrometrics view, what we know of as sector view, (b) ship's interior view where you could actually man your bridge, walk around, maybe play a game of 3d chess or just hang out in your ready room with your fish. If there is an event (incoming transmission, deep space encounter, etc) you can get a popup and drop you back into the regular game mode. Meanwhile your ship should plod along, even zoning itself to get to your programmed destination.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like your ideas for in-transit "fluff" Nack.

I'd love to see this added, though I'm sure you'd need to add a way to skip this feature for the power gamers.

I'd also like the in transit ship to possibly have random encounters, maybe solve a ship-side mystery, ect.

STO could have the coolest "housing" system in an mmo, with your quaters, bridge,corridors and/or common areas all able to be altered.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like a lot of things being discussed here.. Though the random encounter thing.. yes I understand.. but when I was playing my fed, i got tired of being stopped for the random npc encounter thing. I just wanted to get to my sector gate.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Agreed it does need some work. It currently does not feel like ou are travelling through space but rather on a chess board. I previously have suggested allowing us to toggle on or off the sector map grid. This would make it feel more like we are in an MMO etc
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ArnDog wrote: »
    Agreed it does need some work. It currently does not feel like ou are travelling through space but rather on a chess board. I previously have suggested allowing us to toggle on or off the sector map grid. This would make it feel more like we are in an MMO etc

Ya, i don't really understand the fat lines connecting some systems together.. I guess if it was a fast warp (wormhole) then maybe. Grid has no real use. Also, when I want to go to border sector TRIBBLE.. why is it stopping me at other border sectors and asking if i want to warp there..

I should dismiss my navigator.. my order was for TRIBBLE sector.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bostish wrote:
    Ya, i don't really understand the fat lines connecting some systems together.. I guess if it was a fast warp (wormhole) then maybe. Grid has no real use. Also, when I want to go to border sector TRIBBLE.. why is it stopping me at other border sectors and asking if i want to warp there..

I should dismiss my navigator.. my order was for TRIBBLE sector.

I've always thought of it as more of a tactical or computer generated map simulation to show you a representation of travel. The grid doesn't bother me at all since using the "realism" arguement against the grid would result in a far, far away starfield with tons of nothing anywhere near you until you reached you destination.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    mirek99 wrote:
    I've always thought of it as more of a tactical or computer generated map simulation to show you a representation of travel. The grid doesn't bother me at all since using the "realism" arguement against the grid would result in a far, far away starfield with tons of nothing anywhere near you until you reached you destination.

true .. need more characters to reply :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    deletion would go far in this game

all travel should be like when you are around a planet

it should look like space

if you need the map thing they should have it on your viewscreen that you pop up if you want

when you go warp stars flashing by- like they could do with graphics in like 1975.

this could really be a great game

they got the space battles done great- and lets face it - best action in the series and flicks visually

even the complaints of "arcade game like" fail to mention that its a damn good arcade battle thing
    and you don;t have to keep putting quarters in

at any rate- less is more- i keep saying it

have explore like space around plonets

a view screen and somehow make the instancing behave like sandbox
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    As i dont wanna be "demanding" things here or dreaming of how i would love to see it (because lets face it i would be dissapointed) i only wanna say this: Turning off the grid would be nice, just the stars, passing systems and other ships .. thats it :) no fat road like lines on the "ground" (in space lol?) .. would give it a more spacey feeling. Also, instead of the trafic control guy they could have your tactical bridge officer just say "we are now entering [insert system here] captain! with the option to just push ok and something that would say you've changed your mind and wanna plot a course somewhere behind you instead.

hope its a usefull reply