test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Joystick?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Anyone using a Joystick for Space Combat? I was tempted at buying a cheap $20 one just to try it out but I'm curious to know if anyone is doing it, with what type of Joystick, and how you like it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    reon wrote: »
    Anyone using a Joystick for Space Combat? I was tempted at buying a cheap $20 one just to try it out but I'm curious to know if anyone is doing it, with what type of Joystick, and how you like it.

They did not include a native Joystick interface. Which means you have to use a third party program. Also, the camera will not follow your ship which makes joystick control very bad.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OpenSorce wrote: »
    They did not include a native Joystick interface. Which means you have to use a third party program. Also, the camera will not follow your ship which makes joystick control very bad.

gotcha, but some/most Joysticks do come with Profile programs where you edit the Fire Controls to keyboard buttons so the Trigger = Spacebar but I see you point about the camera control, would still have to use the mouse and mouse + joystick would be pointless imo. Ty for the input
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I just could never bring myself to try and use a joystick for something so far removed from a flight simulation as this. It just feels primarily like a two-dimensional deal with a minor and near meaningless vertical component that normally only serves to frustrate due to your inability to move along it without doing a tornado maneuver.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's $60, but I find the XBox 360 controller works quite well with this game. No profiling software needed: just commands in chat to bind the buttons... The XBox 360 DOES map camera control properly with binds in this forum somewhere (search for them!) but the movement factor is choppy at any setting... I tried the Logitech Dual Action, but I couldn't get camera movement to work even with profiling software. And playing with a controller and a mouse does not equal "sexy". I gave up and traded it for the 360 controller.

YMMV.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'm using a joystick to play the game. Not always, but most of the time.

I've got a Logitech extreme 3d pro and I'm using the logitech profiler software to map the keybinds.

It's mostly functional. The only things I haven't gotten to work are the throttle (using buttons for that) and good camera control. The game currently has no way to lock the camera behind the ship, but apparently they are looking into adding a 'chase cam' to the game at some point. For now I just use "follow target" cam and a button for Reset Camera, to get the camera to point vaguely where I want.

On the whole it's fairly playable with a joystick, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to buy one specifically for it.

edit: I say this last bit mainly because there's no official support for it and they don't plan to add any either (aside from the camera option), so you're largely dependant on either the software from your joystick manufacturer or freeware programs, which don't always work out well.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think everyone plays using a joystick... if there's an Orion girl involved.

ba-doom-tssh!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Muhler wrote:
    It's $60, but I find the XBox 360 controller works quite well with this game. No profiling software needed: just commands in chat to bind the buttons... The XBox 360 DOES map camera control properly with binds in this forum somewhere (search for them!) but the movement factor is choppy at any setting... I tried the Logitech Dual Action, but I couldn't get camera movement to work even with profiling software. And playing with a controller and a mouse does not equal "sexy". I gave up and traded it for the 360 controller.

YMMV.

This may be something I have to try as my brother has an Xbox 360 hand >:)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think everyone plays using a joystick... if there's an Orion girl involved.

ba-doom-tssh!

HA I see what you did there :P
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I tried a 360 pad and Pinnacle game profiler, but lost interest setting the buttons, so you say a 360 pad works with the chat binds, I'll have to give that a whirl.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Incoming flames!!!! I have yet to see this question end well
  • Options
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    OpenSorce wrote: »

Cant you just use the hat switch to move cam? Don't you want to be keeping an eye on the enemy and looking in all directions anyway?

This whole keeping an eye on your ship thing is strage, you don't need to look at your ship in this game. It would be flying backwars and upside down, wouldnt matter if your firing at a target plus hitting it.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    But you do need to be able to see where you are going especially if you rely on cannons or limited arc beam arrays.