test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CStore - Orion Slave Girl Pets

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
CStore - Orion Slave Girl Pets = BAD IDEA

RE: How much have you Spent on Cryptic Points and your Feedback on C-Store Products !

I'm surprised that even the concept of having a character in any form that references a Slave would even be brought up for discussion.

The concept only legitimizes slavery, and IMO, the lawyers who represent Cryptic and Atari would likely tell them it's a bad idea too.

In no way should STAR TREK and STAR TREK Online legitimize slavery in ANY way. Sure, I realize Orion Slaves are a part of the story of Star Trek, and a part of the history of some of the races and characters, and no one related to Star Trek would ever promote slavery in any way.

Regardless, it's a bad idea. There is NO reason for the DEVs to consider making any adjustments or additions related to Orion Slave Girls or Slaves of any kind.

We ALREADY have Orions' in the game (NPC Bridge Officers & PC Avatars); so if you want an Orion Slave as a Bridge Officer, that would go in the BIO section, that's it.

-
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    If they named them "Orion Companions" I'm sure they'd find a loophole that would allow it. LOL

But seriously, you do make a valid point.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well its in the Trek lore.

But seriously, Klingons have pet dogs, and not orion slaves.

Federation captains? Uhh just no.

So fluff solved.

Change Orion slave girls into Slathering Klingon hounds.

Oh and make some pets available for free, i need to spend some EC :D. (Not on thos overinflated Exchange prices)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This really required a spin off thread? Its not like a dev posted they were coming. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Jonathan Archer had them. For one episode anyways.

They looked fun to have around to. Well, they would have had been more, if they hadn't tried to take over the ship.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think the OP is highly over reacting. Slave girls is a name not a policy. Also this is a video game not reality.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Orions Slave Girls FTW.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Plus in the realm of Trek Lore, the "slave" part is nothing but a ruse, and the Orions being a matriarch society. :cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    TerranRich wrote: »
    If they named them "Orion Companions" I'm sure they'd find a loophole that would allow it. LOL

But seriously, you do make a valid point.

I approve this message to have Orion "companion" pets in the C-store
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Do you think Orion women who aren't slaves get annoyed when then next two words to follow "Orion" out of anyone's mouth are "slave girl"? I bet they do.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wouldn't the player end up being the Slave Girl's pet in the end, anyway ?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You should never make a thread about another thread. If I'm not mistaken, it's against the forum rules. As for slaves, I disagree with that idea, but the rest of the items on his list are good.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's just a game. As long as nobody takes it seriously it's fine. Stop taking it seriously.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    KXSwa wrote: »

RE: How much have you Spent on Cryptic Points and your Feedback on C-Store Products !

I'm surprised that even the concept of having a character in any form that references a Slave would even be brought up for discussion.

The concept only legitimizes slavery, and IMO, the lawyers who represent Cryptic and Atari would likely tell them it's a bad idea too.

In no way should STAR TREK and STAR TREK Online legitimize slavery in ANY way. Sure, I realize Orion Slaves are a part of the story of Star Trek, and a part of the history of some of the races and characters, and no one related to Star Trek would ever promote slavery in any way.

Regardless, it's a bad idea. There is NO reason for the DEVs to consider making any adjustments or additions related to Orion Slave Girls or Slaves of any kind.

We ALREADY have Orions' in the game (NPC Bridge Officers & PC Avatars); so if you want an Orion Slave as a Bridge Officer, that would go in the BIO section, that's it.

-

It is just an example of how society views it as ok to cast one gender as less than the other. Notice it isnt a request for a "race pet" or for an "orion pet" it is a female orion pet. It just continues showing how sexist people really are. Any way i cant see how any one could claim that this is lore for the feds any way. Yes Archer had orion slave girls but he freed them he didnt keep them as slaves "although they did stab him in the back":rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You should never make a thread about another thread. If I'm not mistaken, it's against the forum rules. As for slaves, I disagree with that idea, but the rest of the items on his list are good.

Come on... Your telling me after a long day at work "captaining a starship" You wouldn't want to goto your ready room for some "relaxation" like come on... And if thats the case... Maybe I can interest you in some Ferengi "companion" dudes? :P
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Come on... Your telling me after a long day at work "captaining a starship" You wouldn't want to goto your ready room for some "relaxation" like come on... And if thats the case... Maybe I can interest you in some Ferengi "companion" dudes? :P

I have no problem with them adding the Slave Girl outfits for characters, but sentient pets = terrible idea.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    As a related side note, Age of Conan does offer Courtesan Pets as Veteran Rewards. Also, you begin game as a slave yourself. Last I checked, this in no way caused slavery to be legitimized in the modern world. Nor legal woes. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I approve this message to have Orion "companion" pets in the C-store

+9,001

/10charsux
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    you felt the need to make a separate topic for this because?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fiorra wrote:
    It is just an example of how society views it as ok to cast one gender as less than the other. Notice it isnt a request for a "race pet" or for an "orion pet" it is a female orion pet. It just continues showing how sexist people really are. Any way i cant see how any one could claim that this is lore for the feds any way. Yes Archer had orion slave girls but he freed them he didnt keep them as slaves "although they did stab him in the back":rolleyes:

To this I have to say.. SO!

Sexist? Good lord, that is taking the video game way to seriously.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have no problem with them adding the Slave Girl outfits for characters, but sentient pets = terrible idea.

In WOW you can get a squire. That isn't a bad thing.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Better yet... I never liked the Orions can I have Alessandra Torresani? Shes cute and hot at the same time...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You already can get a shuttlecraft as a pet in this game.
    Obviously its piloted by a "real person", so how can an Orion female pet be any worse?

.....ooh...wait... :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Don't you know your lore?

"It was revealed that Orion females were not enslaved at all, but rather the enslavers," http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Orion_slave_girl

There are no Orion slave girls. It's a ruse.

That would mean, no, there will be no Orion slave girl pets.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Whats wrong with keeping slaves? Mine never seem to have issues with being slaves, in fact, I'd wager they enjoy it. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There have been calls to make STO "more adult", perhaps this would be a step forward in that direction.
    Yes, "slavery = bad" but then, so is shooting aliens in the face with phasers.

If this was to ever happen, I would only want to see it on the Empire side though.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    You already can get a shuttlecraft as a pet in this game.
    Obviously its piloted by a "real person", so how can an Orion female pet be any worse?

No one says its not piloted by a slave girl. I seem to recall a shuttle on Firefly piloted by a 'licenced companion.' :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    personae wrote:
    No one says its not piloted by a slave girl. I seem to recall a shuttle on Firefly piloted by a 'licenced companion.' :D

Thats not the point, someone said it was wrong to have sentient beings as pets. :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    KXSwa wrote: »

-

I find the very idea offensive.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A. The Federation would never allow someone to have a slave.
    B. I suppose the Klingons could have them, but then again, why would you want one. There pheromones are quite dangerous:

Once sold to a male, the Orion slave girls use their unique physiology to their advantage; their highly potent pheromones accelerate the metabolisms of males of many species, raising adrenaline production to dangerous levels which causes aggression and, ultimately, a form of delusion. Its most significant effect is to make them susceptible to suggestion. Not long after, the "owner" males begin taking orders from their "slave" females. The pheromones' effects are cumulative; the longer exposed, the more pronounced are the results.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I would get that. But I don't want an actual bridge officer. Just a pet that dances in front of my captain's chair with a chain that anchors them there like Jabba the Hutt.