test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What does it mean when they say Servers Up?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Does that mean they are up and running properly so that everyone can play or does it mean they are up, but you can't play, you can't log in, you can't switch zones or do anything even if you *do* manage to log in, and good luck with that?

Just curious, because of it means the latter, then ok. I get it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    It means they are hoping you are easily fooled.
    edited March 2010
    I think it's Cryptic lingo for "the machines are blinking red and green lights".

Anything more than that, is a blessing.
    edited March 2010
    *goes and checks server status*

"looks like they're doing fine jim the lights are still blinking!!"
    edited March 2010
    It means log in...wait 30 mins to get to the char screen.....then wait 30 mins to get to the game.....and wait 30 mins to take any action other than chat or move......rinse and repeat.....

Think of it this way.....its STO the MMO thats playing like a turn based PnP game lol
    edited March 2010
    Buffalo-6 wrote:
    It means log in...wait 30 mins to get to the char screen.....then wait 30 mins to get to the game.....and wait 30 mins to take any action other than chat or move......rinse and repeat.....

Think of it this way.....its STO the MMO thats playing like a turn based PnP game lol

Seems I can get right into the Character Select screen. It's when I press Play, and it goes to the perpetual Loading... screen, which sits for several minutes before dropping back out to the Login screen...
    edited March 2010
    Buffalo-6 wrote:

LOL. Welcome to Star Trek Turn Based Experience Online. Currently Klingon empire is attempting to move their forces into Eta Eridani sector from the Qo'Nos sector. Federation players are planning to enter Sol.

Next update in half hour.
    edited March 2010
    lol thats a lot of dice rolls for a broadside.........hope they have roll boxes or the dice will be all over the place.......
    edited March 2010
    Server status is determined by if the shard controller has checked in with the tracking system, nothing more. If the controller doesn't check in for a given amount of time (5 minutes I think) or we detect the link has dropped it is flagged as "down".
    edited March 2010
    Finalkly got in, and I can count on one hand how many people are in Regulus Sector...but this just in from the Admin:

[Admin] ::on screen:: Captains - we may have a fix for the map transfer issues coming soon. Please sit tight and try not to run out of oxygen.
    edited March 2010
    Ranger, do you have any word on when will we be able to load in again ? I can get to character selection screen, but I can't load in any characters. I get time out on loading every time.
    edited March 2010
    The_Stig wrote: »
    LOL. Welcome to Star Trek Turn Based Experience Online. Currently Klingon empire is attempting to move their forces into Eta Eridani sector from the Qo'Nos sector. Federation players are planning to enter Sol.

Next update in half hour.

That gave me an idea:

Now that were admirals, how about controlling our own fleet and leading them into battle against Klingon generals - but in 2D and round-based! Remember Master of Orion 2? That's how I want it to look and feel like! :D

Would be so awesome.
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    Server status is determined by if the shard controller has checked in with the tracking system, nothing more. If the controller doesn't check in for a given amount of time (5 minutes I think) or we detect the link has dropped it is flagged as "down".

So... if two pieces of hardware, most likely sitting right next to each other on a shelf somewhere, are talking to each other... then the server is "up"?

Genius!
    edited March 2010
    I was trying to leave Sol with my new toon, I died while beaming to my ship.
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:

well then thats broken also.....cuz not getting past the char screen means DOWN in most parts of the world even in Russia.................
    edited March 2010
    Buffalo-6 wrote:
    well then thats broken also.....cuz not getting past the char screen means DOWN in most parts of the world even in Russia.................

In Soviet Union, server is always down
    edited March 2010
    Buffalo-6 wrote:

Sorry - have you played the game ever - it kick you out after 15 minutes of inactivity - even if that inactivity means you're loading and loading and...:D.
    edited March 2010
    So... if two pieces of hardware, most likely sitting right next to each other on a shelf somewhere, are talking to each other... then the server is "up"?

Genius!

Are you being critical? Man your're brave ...

Haven't you seen that old Twilight Zone episode with the kid that did things to anyone that
    thought anything bad about him?

hint hint.
    edited March 2010
    Update...I got in on my level 6 Federation character. I am now inside the SD1, both of Klingon BG5s are MIA.
    edited March 2010
    Newest update in game...

[Admin] :: on screen :: Captains - Please fasten your seat belts. We are bracing ourselves for a quick restart. Will keep the launcher updated with an ETA.
    edited March 2010
    you forgot the part wher he said preapre epic seft destruct sequences.................
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:

I've seen green lights and unable to log in plenty. Check this: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4422552610_310424138b_o.png

Anyone notice the overwhelming majority of forum folk are lifetimers? Wait another two weeks when more people cancel out and lose the ability to post in the forums.