test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Saturday Lag/Map Transfer Issues

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Hey All,

We are actively troubleshooting the issues surrounding lag and map transfers.

Our hope is to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. I will update this thread once there is a resolution.

5:30PM Update: We may have a plan. Currently it is in the process of being sanity checked. There is a high likelihood that there will be a brief maintenance to resolve this issue.

6:00PM Update: Per Continuum:

Okay everyone the plan for fixing this issue has changed. Since it got worse as the day went on we upped the time table.

We've started some work on the db to prep it for the fix.
Sometime around 6:15 (exact time to come with plenty of warnings in game) we'll be bringing the servers down for emergency maintenance.
That'll let us run the rest of the fixes needed to solve the map transfer lag issue.
Once the fixes are finished we'll be bringing the servers back up.

We're working hard to get other fixes ready for the same window (PvP in particular). If they aren't ready in time we may still need to do a 3am maintenance, but hopefully we can kill two birds with one stone.

6:15PM Update:
We will be performing a maintenance period within the next few minutes. The servers will be offline momentarily while we apply a fix. The maintenance is expected to last two hours and we hope to be back up by 8:30PM

7:30PM Update:
So far, the maintenance is going as planned :)

8:00PM Update:
An operation on the server is taking longer than expected. The ETA on uptime is now between 9:00 and 9:30PM PDT.

8:45PM Update:
Still on track for 9:30 PDT. The new version should have fixes for the lag and the PVP rewards

9:30PM Update:
Seeing some issues with the patchservers. Will report back soon.

10:00PM Update:
There was an issue with patching the server. Several developers are looking at it and we hope to have an update soon. No specific ETA yet.

10:30PM Update:
We believe that the new build is on the new servers. Soon we hope QA to be performing the sanity checks before we make them Live.

11:00PM Update:
QA is patching and will begin performing the sanity checks shortly!

11:10PM Update:
New build is on the server. QA is testing now. Shard will be opened if everything checks out!

11:30PM Update
Our QA tests are almost complete. Everything has passed so far.

11:32PM Update:
We're officially back! Log in and have a great time. :)

Thank you for your patience!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Thank you for the info. This sounds more promising than 3am.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the update. Really hoping I can evade RL and play tonight =)
    edited March 2010
    I´am now lvl MINUS 39 and Cant play Anythig plz Fix

thx
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for posting.

If the launcher and website said something other than "Server Up" people may be less upset. Perhaps better status would soothe the nerves a bit.
    edited March 2010
    Wow! The one official thread on this problem has one reply but others are spawning everywhere else rofl. tyvm Destra here's to a speed fix, cheers
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for closing threads unnecessarily.... The patch screwed PvP I don't think its coincidence the servers are all bugged out too when they have been stable.. Turn the servers out revert the code...
    edited March 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey All,

Our hope is to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. I will update this thread once there is a resolution.

Edited because they pulled the servers and are fixing things.......We are smart we fix things
    edited March 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey All,

Destra, please: shut down the servers right now so you can thoroughly fix the given issue. It's completely pointless to leave the servers up as they are now.
    Do some emergency maintenance immediately, instead of trying to keep a server going that is clearly not only limping, but mostly disabled.
    edited March 2010
    The game is unplayable right now maybe you should think of patching before 3 if you have a fix because i tell you what you shouldn't worry about interrupting anyone's playtime this sucks its on a saturday
    edited March 2010
    Well it is sure a cluster*insertcensor*up here.

I don't know what you did, but it went wrong and I really hope you manage to fix this.

Most sad I am is that the fleet RP event had to be cancelled and I was looking forwards to that.
    edited March 2010
    Can we at least take the server down so i don't log in 50 times before i get the idea that is not my machine giving me the headache ?

Seriously if nothing else but chatting and exchange is up there is not much else we can do right now and you guys should take the server down without making people who don't care for this board here log in all over and over again without knowing whats going on. Thats the least what should be done.
    edited March 2010
    ... unless of course some other player was right and you are trying to not **** off your "beloved" US customer base by keeping the thing online now and rather burden your European Customers during mid-day time once again with a maintenance outage.
    edited March 2010
    Thank you for keeping us informed and posting this. Since this is the first major server hiccup since the first week of launch, I have to say that I am quite impressed. I know the forums are being, "Set Ablaze," and people are threatening to cancel subscriptions; but honestly I think you have done a fantastic job on the Server lag issues.

Considering the sudden onset of this issue last night (this lag started prior to the patch, around 11:00pm EST), I would imagine this to be a problem that is not resolved by inserting a queue or setting up new computers. Just to let you know, many of us understand and are aware of how difficult it is to keep such a service online and running.

You still have my support; to be honest, this is how I expected Thursday to be. I'm very impressed you went through a major patch cycle without issues. This seems to be an unfortunate, unrelated event.
    edited March 2010
    Threather wrote:
    Thank you for keeping us informed and posting this. Since this is the first major server hiccup since the first week of launch, I have to say that I am quite impressed. I know the forums are being, "Set Ablaze," and people are threatening to cancel subscriptions; but honestly I think you have done a fantastic job on the Server lag issues.

Considering the sudden onset of this issue last night (this lag started prior to the patch, around 11:00pm EST), I would imagine this to be a problem that is not resolved by inserting a queue or setting up new computers. Just to let you know, many of us understand and are aware of how difficult it is to keep such a service online and running.

You still have my support; to be honest, this is how I expected Thursday to be. I'm very impressed you went through a major patch cycle without issues. This seems to be an unfortunate, unrelated event.

Take the Server down please ?
    edited March 2010
    ... unless of course some other player was right and you are trying to not **** off your "beloved" US customer base by keeping the thing online now and rather burden your European Customers during mid-day time once again with a maintenance outage.

Jeez, Starfire.. do you EVER stop complaining? Post after post after post of your whining drivel gets old...
    edited March 2010
    Few Dev posts regarding these issues:

1.) Regarding, Rollbacks and whats going on:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2455670&postcount=197

2.) What they are currently doing about it:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2455670&postcount=197

3.) What caused this:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2455168#post2455168

I hope these posts help you, I know the whole team that's in the office is scrambling to fix this. It IS a huge problem, and you KNOW they are not taking this sitting down. As much as the trolls would like you to belive that Cryptic doesn't care about the issue, rest assured that they ARE working on it, ARE willing to say, oops we messed up.

In my experience this is bad, but is being handled very well, and as fast as they can. Not everyone's "OMG TIHZ BROKENZ" post will be able to get a Dev reply, due to everyone is working on FIXING the issue.

I thank you for your time.

FIXED
    edited March 2010
    My entire fleet cannot log in. Our group events for the week are @#$@#'d.

However, I am most concerned that no one at Cryptic seemed to realize there was a problem for several hours, and I still don't think you folks understand the extent of the issue.

This isn't a couple folks, this is practically everyone I know. And, 3 am is not a reasonable response to this widespread and severe an issue. If you can't fix it, at least take down the servers.

By the way, when Funcom did this to Age of Conan (hosed the game with a buggy patch), they credited all players with a free day to their accounts...of course, those of us with lifetime subs are just screwed, but it's the least you can do for the monthly subs.
    edited March 2010
    Jeez, Starfire.. do you EVER stop complaining? Post after post after post of your whining drivel gets old...

Here's a thought - they should shut down the servers now instead of 3am, fix them, then I bet starfire would be too busy playing to be posting...

Cool idea, eh?
    edited March 2010
    Omnifox wrote: »

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=197

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=202

3.) What caused this:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...68#post2455168

All of these links are broken
    edited March 2010
    Threather wrote:

I completely agree, thank you cryptic for your continued effort, but feel i should add (not to you but to some people asking them to add the patch now) that they are saying "troubleshooting" so they are still fixing the issues: they cannot add a fix if they do not have it yet
    edited March 2010
    When ever I try to change maps I get "Timeout while waiting for Gameserver address".
    Doesnt matter what map, I try to transfer to, even going to my bridge.

Hope that helps.
    edited March 2010

3.) What caused this:

I hope these posts help you, I know the whole team that's in the office is scrambling to fix this. It IS a huge problem, and you KNOW they are not taking this sitting down. As much as the trolls would like you to belive that Cryptic doesn't care about the issue, rest assured that they ARE working on it, ARE willing to say, oops we messed up.

In my experience this is bad, but is being handled very well, and as fast as they can. Not everyone's "OMG TIHZ BROKENZ" post will be able to get a Dev reply, due to everyone is working on FIXING the issue.

Your links dont work.... =/
    edited March 2010
    OMG.

This means I'll have to actually.. leave.. the house tonight and venture to a semi-local watering hole.

for shame.

I would much rather stay and fillet feds. :D
    edited March 2010

3.) What caused this:

Links no worky. When you copied them, you copied the "..." bit instead of the entire link...
    edited March 2010

3.) What caused this:

None of these links work for me, which forums are they in?
    edited March 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey All,

I can select a character but then I am stuck at loading... :(
    edited March 2010
    You know, yeah most of us don't get to play at the moment, but we can do other things, like watch a movie or read a book, or whatever else we want to do........

They can't. They are stuck at work busting their asses trying to fix this, and all most of you are doing is ****ing and moaning cause you can't play the game........

Cut them some slack and maybe give them a Thank You for working so hard to try and get it back up so you can play as soon as possible.

/rolls eyes

Thanks Devs and everyone else for doing what you can to get it fixed. I appreciate it!
    edited March 2010
    Threather wrote:
    All of these links are broken

Fixed them
    edited March 2010
    Threather wrote:

... careful, lest you might wind up with some poo on your nose.

Besides, Cryptic has dished out no less than at least 4 small patches since Season 1 was released. So forgive me if I won't call that going "through a major patch cycle without issues". If there were no issues, why did they have to patch the bloody thing that often by now?
    And why is it that on a busy saturday, during EU prime time, the servers go ka-blooey like they almost did yesterday?

Do you honestly think this is not in any way related to the release of season 1 and it's subsequent mini-patches?
    Besides, this just goes to show once again that releasing close to a weekend is a bad idea - having major issues crop up during prime gaming times across the globe and then failing to properly respond to them is not good publicity.

And I'm not threatening anything. I am merely ****ed off. BIG TIME.
    edited March 2010
    ok maybe i m repeating myself but m i the only one who thinks its a good idea to take the server down ?

Besides people stop wondering why this happens it might give the fix guys better faster access to the problem ? I m sure they are by now aware what the problem is.

I just don't see what sense it makes to have the server up and running at this point.
This discussion has been closed.