test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time to swollow your pride.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Ok I have been very patient thus far with this game and I will continue to be patient but there comes a time when you need to speak up.

I understand the logistics of making MMO’s and I am not going to rage rant over things that are beyond your immediate control.

However, I think that today’s problems are indicative of a company that is not prioritizing its product needs to assure that customers can at least continue to participate in the game while you work on issues that logically appear as you expand and develop.

Of particular note is the stability of your server. Timeouts, zone drops, login issues are fundamental. If you are having trouble with this then I suggest you swallow your pride and ask for help. A good company to call and ask for assistance would be CCP in Iceland; they have a huge MMO that has years of quality and stability and a dedicated customer base that can vouch that EVE Online is up 24/7 except during the daily reboot. I know I am a dedicated customer of theirs and would like to be a dedicated customer of yours.

I like your game, I see its potential and understand your doing your best but right now you’re failing on a very basic and fundamental level. Get some help.

Swallow your pride and save your game. I and many others with then continue to line your shareholders pockets with money. Send this post to them I think they will agree.
Suldra.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Wall of text crits for 100000000 points

But yea down time sux
    edited March 2010
    If you go by the KPI on the website, the server is up. Just seems some people are having problems getting in or going anywhere once in.
    edited March 2010
    jhered wrote:
    *snip*

The EVE Tranquility Server is the most advanced gaming server on the planet. Should Cryptic order one on the internet quick so you can play? ;)
    edited March 2010
    Have fun in whichever game you end up in.

*cue trumpets*

Can I have your stuff?!

Laughing at the apparent need for people to whine over a new MMO.

The 3rd of every month is a mini Holy Day for me now, those who are left behind will make the place better with their absence and those who are dedicated and stay will likewise build a better community.

Yours in "Hard knocks and careful courtesy" Plasma,
    Star*Dagger
    edited March 2010

*cue trumpets*

Can I have your stuff?!

The 3rd of every month is a mini Holy Day for me now, those who are left behind will make the place better with their absence and those who are dedicated and stay will likewise build a better community.

Star*Dagger

It wasent an "iquit" thread.

Put the trumpets away, hes still here.
    edited March 2010
    My biggest concern is that the zone drops and PvP que issues have been going on for four days. Cryptic, I am sure is looking into the issue.

However, the problems originated before the patch and only become more frequent after the patch. Logon fails are not as frequent but consistent. This is a sign that there is something fundamentally wrong with the layer of software that manages user traffic in and out of the game. EVERY MMO has these issues however, most addresses stability immediately.

Now granted I am not aware of what physical or network layer architecture they are using but most MMO’s with a persistent world are clustered and designed in a way to allow regions with more traffic to be allocated more resources and vise a versa. Today for example I am doing my dailies and every time I scan an anomaly that results in a time out or CTL (crash to login). If their architecture is set up as it should a simple reboot of that section of the cluster should restore stability. Assuming they did the right thing and deployed this game on virtual cluster with each zone in its own sandbox partition. If they didn’t then..well…oopse.

As for those that do not like my walls of text…you don’t have to read them. It is however my right and duty as a paying customer to provide feedback on what I pay for.

Suldra
    edited March 2010
    jhered

Please stop with the wall of text posts and go back and edit the posts you have already making them into paragraphs. I want read what you are saying but I just can't.
    edited March 2010
    You don’t have to read my posts or play this game if you don’t like it. That’s the beauty of the internet; you have choices. Please stop ragging on me because of my literacy and ability to read. If your having trouble reading my posts then might I suggest the following:
    Sylvan learning center – excellent reading and writing tools
    Hooked on phonics – teaches basic but fundamental reading skills.
    There are more but I don’t want to overload my readers.
    Suldra.
    edited March 2010

*cue trumpets*

Can I have your stuff?!

Star*Dagger

More sympathy, less trolling.
    edited March 2010
    If its possible, they probably need to do a patch rollback until they can fix this TRIBBLE. It started right after the patch that introduced respecs and stuff. But I suspect its more hardware related than software related.
    edited March 2010
    Lulwut, Eve servers crashed twice yesterday :P Not counting singularity
    edited March 2010
    jhered wrote:
    My biggest concern is that the zone drops and PvP que issues have been going on for four days. Cryptic, I am sure is looking into the issue. However, the problems originated before the patch and only become more frequent after the patch. Logon fails are not as frequent but consistent. This is a sign that there is something fundamentally wrong with the layer of software that manages user traffic in and out of the game.

As a software engineer, I am going to point you at the hardware. (we always do). The sofware that manages this is pretty cut and dried. There is not really anything in a program that can work one time and then not another. I suspect we are having router problems here. Sometime you get routed correctly and sometimes not. Routers tend to be rather finicky and putting a load on them can cause unpredictable results.
    edited March 2010
    They will need to consider crediting all of the non life time subscribers with some free days due to the last couple of days being virtually unplayable.
    edited March 2010
    Ayenn wrote:
    jhered

Please stop with the wall of text posts and go back and edit the posts you have already making them into paragraphs. I want read what you are saying but I just can't.

Apperently he dosent care if you can read them, last line reads:
    jhered wrote:
    As for those that do not like my walls of text…you don’t have to read them. It is however my right and duty as a paying customer to provide feedback on what I pay for.
    Suldra

What he dosent realize however is if we cant read them, or find them hard to read, that a developer is just going to pass by his posts and chalk it up to ranting.
    jhered wrote:
    You don’t have to read my posts or play this game if you don’t like it. That’s the beauty of the internet; you have choices. Please stop ragging on me because of my literacy and ability to read. If your having trouble reading my posts then might I suggest the following:
    Sylvan learning center – excellent reading and writing tools
    Hooked on phonics – teaches basic but fundamental reading skills.
    There are more but I don’t want to overload my readers.
    Suldra.

It seems according to him the problem is on our end. He keeps saying "You dont have to read my posts" but if thats the case why the hell did he post them?
    edited March 2010
    Wall of text?!? SHEESH! I swear, what is wrong with the world today where a bare dozen or so lines is called a 'wall of text'. Read more, it'll expand your mind.

Now, OP. I don't really think it's an accepted practice in the business world to go to your competitor and ask them for help. Most competitors aren't really interested in helping their business foes, dontchaknow. Unless, of course, this is just a way of saying Atari should sell STO to CCP or some such plan.

In any case, someone else said that one of the Eve servers went down? Maybe they need to contact Blizzard then and see how to keep servers up. Wait...WoW had server problems last week, didn't they?
    edited March 2010
    noyjitat wrote: »
    If its possible, they probably need to do a patch rollback until they can fix this TRIBBLE. It started right after the patch that introduced respecs and stuff. But I suspect its more hardware related than software related.

Indeed, I do believe it’s a matter of network trafficking and how the network layer of their software manages player volume. When I am alone in an instance these problems go away but if more and more people show up it becomes congested.

I could be totally wrong but to me (and I use EVE online as a model only because it’s the best I have seen in handling traffic) the server stability is what keeps customers. Once that is established then content and tweaks to bugs become easier to handle because you do not have to revisit old errors over and over every time you patch. There was a really cool game called Earth and Beyond that had similar issues and that game no longer exists because even though they bought you new content every week and people liked the game it was down 75% of the time. When EVE first came out it was terribly simple and had a gross lack of content and with the exceptions of about 2-3 months of stability issues in regions with 200+ players it was none the less stable.

Once the stability was issues were dealt with they began adding content and EVE online has grown to become the most complex MMO in existence. My suggestion to Cryptic is simple fix what you got now and worry about adding stuff later. It will all come in due time. However, it is either pressure from management or lack of experience in this field of software design that is rushing the deployment of this game. Granted it just came out and thus I am being patient but as a customer I want to know what the problem is really and not sit here and speculate. Please don’t get offended Cryptic, you’re on a role but you should really ask for help if this is too much for you. 15 min logins, instance time outs and CTL's are getting way out of hand.

Suldra.
    edited March 2010
    Laughing at the apparent need for people to whine over a new MMO.Star*Dagger

Well I'm laughing at you poor fanbois who payed for a lifetime sub in a game thats so sub par it's offensive and your apparent need to continually defend this piece of TRIBBLE.

new MMO or not... face it, it's broken and you know it.

I give STO 6 months max before it becomes free to play... oh wait, you payed a lifetime sub! lol

I blew this circus a week ago and could not be happier, I would have given you my stuff... but your mum got dibs first.

Farewell Cryptic and STO

I'd wish you "Live long and prosper" but I get the feeling "Die hard and flounder" is more appropriate.

Incomming enraged fanbois Captian, they are arming crybaby torpedos....
    edited March 2010
    Actually companies do refer to other companies for assistance when technology involved is not proprietary. Might I point out, AT&T, Verizon and Clear all pull in resources from Cisco and Motorola when it comes to network infrastructure. Sony and Blizzard get assistance from Microsoft and IBM when it comes to building middle tier networking for their games. Each of these companies are competitors but the information shared is beneficial to all. I have worked for every one of these companies’ designing video games and network infrastructures. I am quite aware of what takes place in the design rooms of these institutions.

Suldra.
    edited March 2010
    Good point Jhered, I stand semi-corrected. But ony semi because I think the info involved is proprietary. I could be wrong though, I'm computer illiterate after all <G>
    edited March 2010
    Paneth wrote:
    Apperently he dosent care if you can read them,

It seems according to him the problem is on our end. He keeps saying "You don't have to read my posts" but if thats the case why the hell did he post them?

Oh the Irony.

I bet he has never heard of usability testing. I see a wall of text like that and I do try to read it. when The lines blur because of eyestrain due if repeating patterns I stop. I personally find the insults and suggestion that I cannot read quite humorous considering my day job... I am a former high school English teacher and now work at the university level in technical communication.

I wish he would reformat this stuff. My old eyes can't take it. They just don't focus fast enough to deal with that much cramped text.

From reading some of the responses It seems like he is advocating Cryptic look to CCP for some kind of outsourced assistance. Considering the proprietary nature of server ops, even if Cryptic were interested, other companies like CCP would not render assistance.

As far as the OPs concerns for the inefficiency of Cryptic and their net ops, well, believe it or not (and I know you will choose not to) Cryptic is doing a much better job with their servers reliability at this stage than really any other MMORPG developer.
    edited March 2010
    I can see why your not a teacher anymore..is this how you would tell a student to reformat the paragraph so that it is easier to read? Really now! It was not that long. Your just trolling. But I must admit I am guilty of biting.

Suldra.
    edited March 2010
    ...but I have nothing better to do...i want to play and can't even log in.

Suldra
    edited March 2010
    how ya doing
    :o
    edited March 2010
    jhered wrote:
    ...but I have nothing better to do...i want to play and can't even log in.

Suldra

Well... Maybe because you see the fault on anybody else but you, you have nothing better to do?

SCNR :)
    edited March 2010
    jhered wrote:
    I can see why your not a teacher anymore..is this how you would tell a student to reformat the paragraph so that it is easier to read? Really now! It was not that long. Your just trolling. But I must admit I am guilty of biting.

Suldra.

Who said I was not a teacher any more? I said I was a high school teacher, not that I am no longer teaching. technical communication is a discipline that crosses over ITK, Communication, and English Studies. And, I am not trolling, I assure you. I really am interested in what you have to say. The walls of text make it very difficult to read.
    edited March 2010
    Wow Dukis did you even read my post before making that silly comment...or the persons i was replying to?

Suldra
    edited March 2010
    Ayenn wrote:
    Who said I was not a teacher any more? I said I was a high school teacher, not that I am no longer teaching. technical communication is a discipline that crosses over ITK, Communication, and English Studies. And, I am not trolling, I assure you. I really am interested in what you have to say. The walls of text make it very difficult to read.

Very well I will practice what I preach and swollow my pride and take your advice.

Suldra.
    edited March 2010
    jhered wrote:
    Very well I will practice what I preach and swollow my pride and take your advice.

Suldra.

I will go back to the first page and read the revisions of your OP and the longer responses.
    edited March 2010
    I need a hug.
    edited March 2010
    jhered wrote:
    Wow Dukis did you even read my post before making that silly comment...or the persons i was replying to?

Suldra

As a matter of fact, I did;

despite the bad readability/formatting of the text. Paragraphs actually do help. And to convey a message
    it sometimes helps to make it more pleasant to read.

The content can be the GUT or whatever, if it is a wall of text, no one would be bothered reading it.