test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tricorders? Yeah we heard of 'em!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Klingon Discussion
Now, I may be a simple country Klingon.... but it seems to me, that even the dumbest of us should be able to mash some buttons on a tricorder type scanning device, so we can find our way around on the ground without having to do a grid search for something I might not see otherwise....

I have mentioned this before, I am sure others have brought it up, just wanted to bring it to a bit of light again.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Deveoper posted about this, since our ground missions don't involve the interaction; rather they all involve killing/destroying we can't use the tricoder. Tricoder only reacts to devices that can be interacted with.

I certainly like the way we have it right now. After all we are the brutal warrions, so finding the hidden pray/plants is enjoyable to us. Besides, it wouldn't be much of a find and destroy mission if you already knew when items are would it ?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Not necessarily true, mission I had the other day was to find medical crates, that took all day on a foggy planet :p That IS a good point though on kill missions, like the tribbles I had today :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Not necessarily true, mission I had the other day was to find medical crates, that took all day on a foggy planet :p
    The true reason behind Klingon bad temper. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Not necessarily true, mission I had the other day was to find medical crates, that took all day on a foggy planet :p That IS a good point though on kill missions, like the tribbles I had today :D
    Agree.
    Please allow Klingon Tricorders to identify mission objectives.
    This is no brainer.
    Many reported this fact on Tribble.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Please, please implement the scanner on the KDF side. Those that want the challenge of hunting the objectives manually can still choose to do that. I have two incomplete missions that I just gave up on and I now just warp out as soon as it appears it is another "find five things" mission. I have one where I need to find five plants - on a planet surface that is so dusty and cloudy that you can only see about 25 feet away. I found four, but could not locate the last one and simply gave up after about 45-60 minutes of searching.

The Federation side had this issue in Open Beta which was eventually solved by making the scanner point the way to the objectives (if no anomaly was near). Please do the same for KDF.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Now, I may be a simple country Klingon.... but it seems to me, that even the dumbest of us should be able to mash some buttons on a tricorder type scanning device, so we can find our way around on the ground without having to do a grid search for something I might not see otherwise....

I have mentioned this before, I am sure others have brought it up, just wanted to bring it to a bit of light again.

...Tricoder? you must be one of the traitor Fedrat half breed klingons. A real klingon dosent take readings, he tells the pale bellied thing what its going to be.

Unless its a tribble. Then we nuke it from space. Only way to be sure.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I put my support behind this wholeheartedly. I was doing some exploration missions last night and a few of them were of the "Find 5 X and distroy/disable them" variety and it took me way long than it should have. :(

Please, please! Allow us to scan for mission objectives.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Klingons had Tricorders as far back as Kruge in his 2285 mission of the Genesis planet weapon, and they were good enough for the Bajoran resistance.

Klingon Tricorders

/geek on

Now granted they are limited to 154 sensor assemblies rather than the 315 of the Federation. 230 GFP calculations per seconds instead of 275. We also do not beat the Starfleet device in memory as theirs contain ten densified isolinear wafers with 12.1 kiloqads of total memory. We only have 8 densified chromopolymer isolinear wafers with 9.12 kiloquads internal..

/geek off
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tonenili wrote:
    Klingons had Tricorders as far back as Kruge in his 2285 mission of the Genesis planet weapon, and they were good enough for the Bajoran resistance.

Klingon Tricorders

/geek on

Now granted they are limited to 154 sensor assemblies rather than the 315 of the Federation. 230 GFP calculations per seconds instead of 275. We also do not beat the Starfleet device in memory as theirs contain ten densified isolinear wafers with 12.1 kiloqads of total memory. We only have 8 densified chromopolymer isolinear wafers with 9.12 kiloquads internal..

/geek off

I feels as though I've met a kindred spirit.
    Thank you, I could not have put it more eloquently.
    Additionally the Klingons improved their tricorders from time to time since ST3.
    The newer TNG era model with the 154 sensor assemblies actually looks a bit different from the old one from Kruge's era.
    Since the page does not permit hotlinking, please take a look here:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/alien-tricorders1.htm

Both versions are to be found under "Computers, Tricorders, PADDs".
    And I am sure a Klingon Tricorder is at least good enough to POINT its user into a certain direction.:D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I agree with the above posters, please fix this. While I appreciate the explanation on why this is "Can only scan interactable objects...), I guarantee you this doesn't work well in practice. Running around the foggy planet forever is not what a mission should be.

Please fix the scanning dynamic so we can scan for these mission objectives. Believe me, I LOVE the new PvE (I feel like I opened up a new game, and can now see my bridge officers!), but fixing this scanning issue would increase their enjoyability exponentially.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Or is we must be different fine..

How about instead of tricorders, we can set waypoints for our away teams, and as they wander about they see something and shout "over here" :p

Wait code that, or give us tri-corders...

Guess Cryptic is gonna need to replicate alot of toranium tetraborate, and gamma-strengthened polyduranide alloys, and rustle up a few thousand sarium-krellide power cells.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Properly working KDF Tricorders need to be implemented. Simple missions take ridiculous amounts of time since you're scouring the entire map several times trying to find that last stupid mission objective.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    All of the ground maps have 'roads' between 'clearings' where the objectives are, so it's pretty easy to work it systematically. But yes, it would be nice if the tricorders worked. Or if my orbiting ship, with billions of credits worth of sensors, would just give me directions...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wait...my blowing something up (or disintegrating it) is not "interacting" with it?????

*facepalm*
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'd like to note, that klingon tricorders already do much more amazing things than simply find stuff, as evidenced by what a KDF science officer can do. It is by the way exactly the same as what a Federation science officer can do: Heal, Gravimetric, thermal vents, tachyons, etc etc. The KDF tricorder is obviously pretty darn advanced, so I agree it is odd that it can not find stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Naevius wrote:
    All of the ground maps have 'roads' between 'clearings' where the objectives are, so it's pretty easy to work it systematically. But yes, it would be nice if the tricorders worked. Or if my orbiting ship, with billions of credits worth of sensors, would just give me directions...

No, they don't all have roads.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The_Stig wrote: »
    Deveoper posted about this, since our ground missions don't involve the interaction; rather they all involve killing/destroying we can't use the tricoder. Tricoder only reacts to devices that can be interacted with.

I certainly like the way we have it right now. After all we are the brutal warrions, so finding the hidden pray/plants is enjoyable to us. Besides, it wouldn't be much of a find and destroy mission if you already knew when items are would it ?

You like everything that cryptic does though, so it doesn't count. The devs are just lazy, and for that matter so are the gm's. Seriously, taking a week to give an automated response in a game with such a low player population is pathetic. And we have quite a few missions that are interaction missions, so where is the tricorder there? I also agree with the op or whoever posted about the grid search. If it takes you an hour to do a grid search, bashing shift the whole time, it's not worth it. I am sure most people just beam out if they get those kind of maps.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    currently in game, I also dont think we have Klingon styled tricorders either....we just use fed ones...wish Cryptic would design a Klingon looking one too!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Naevius wrote:

I have one mission to destroy some enemy weapons caches - the one with the last step at the end requiring interaction with a device on the ground. This map does have "roads" that leads you to each crate of weapons and to the last device, but I have searched two different times and can still only find four of the five weapons crates. I was especially careful last night to check near the "road" on each side , and even with careful scouring I still could not find it. I am beginning to suspect that it has inadvertently been placed underground or otherwise out of sight/reach.