Install Arc

Only 100,000 Subscribers?

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    As posted by JarinSolare in the other thread:

Dark Age of Camelot - ~45000
    Star Wars Galaxies - 50000
    Pirates of the Burning Sea - 65000 (as of early 2009)
    Age of Conan - ~75000
    Ultima Online - 100000
    City of Heroes/Villains - ~125000
    Warhammer Online - ~125000
    Everquest - ~155000
    Everquest 2 - 200000
    Lord of the Rings Online - ~275000
    EvE Online - ~330000
    Final Fantasy XI - ~510000
    Lineage - ~750000
    Lineage II - ~750000
    Runescape - ~1250000
    Aion - 3500000
    World of Warcraft - 11500000

As you can see, if we do, in fact, have "well over" 100k subs for STO not even two months after launch, it's doing okay, considering UO only peaked at 250k, six years after launch.

I don't think anyone would consider UO a failure by any measure.

Those arent launch numbers.
    edited March 2010
    WoW is not the "norm" for MMOs, and no game will ever get numbers close to that any time soon. Besides, WoW wasnt even in the list you posted in the OP so that really nothing to do with my reply.

No thanks. You posted this thread, not me. So when I point out that comparing the current sub numbers of those games to the launch numbers of STO is TRIBBLE, it falls on your to come up with the relevant info, not me.

Thanks for keeping my thread alive.
    edited March 2010
    Andrys wrote: »
    Thanks for keeping my thread alive.

NP. I enjoy "bumping" silly threads so the entire community can get a chance to laugh at the OP. Kind of like how they used to put people in the stocks in the middle of town where everyone could see and laugh at them :o
    edited March 2010
    58k concurrent is the record, I believe. WoW has 11.5 million (number hasn't changed since 2008) and not all 11.5 login. Count the servers.

CCP itself only claims slightly more than 300K. Get your facts straight.

Besides, your entire point is moot - you have no idea how many subs STO has, and it actually DOESN'T matter what it has compared to other games, as long as they meet or surpass what they budgetted and planned for.
    edited March 2010
    What does that have to do with my reply?

Requested Linky.

OP would rather make a doom thread than discuss his opinion over there because the tone over there is a bit more positive for his tastes, apparently.
    edited March 2010
    http://www.mmodata.net/

there you go...
    edited March 2010
    zerosoul wrote: »
    http://www.mmodata.net/

there you go...

The spike for Vanguard and TR is just epic. I can't wait to see how the spike from launch to first month is for STO.
    edited March 2010
    Requested Linky.

OP would rather make a doom thread than discuss his opinion over there because the tone over there is a bit more positive for his tastes, apparently.

Gotcha. However my post that you replied to requested launch numbers, and I'm pretty sure the numbers you posted are currents.
    edited March 2010
    NP. I enjoy "bumping" silly threads so the entire community can get a chance to laugh at the OP. Kind of like how they used to put people in the stocks in the middle of town where everyone could see and laugh at them

Thanks for that, but I want popcorn, where's my popcorn !!!
    edited March 2010
    The spike for Vanguard and TR is just epic. I can't wait to see how the spike from launch to first month is for STO.

look at warhammer and age of conan, thats even more sick and shows how those games hype-failed.
    edited March 2010
    Gotcha. However my post that you replied to requested launch numbers, and I'm pretty sure the numbers you posted are currents.

Yeah, they're currents. I missed the launch number request. My bad.
    edited March 2010
    Requested Linky.

Agreed that I would not discuss based on the positive tone there. It serves no purpose to constantly fanboi Cryptic from the few fans who rabidly protect it's MMO launch.

We paid for a product: no one received STO for free.

BTW, they had to capitulate to the forums in CO only from a massive anger outburst that said we aren't paying for content that you should have had in at launch. Virboria is now free ONLY because the forums came out with a negative tone (when it is warranted, which this is a case it is) and they had to reverse their position.

Keep going for a positive pile of junk and you'll get that.

BTW, CRYPTIC DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH H.P. LOVECRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited March 2010
    zerosoul wrote: »
    look at warhammer and age of conan, thats even more sick and shows how those games hype-failed.

Woah, love that term: "hype-failed". That's my new word of the day. :) That's exactly what STO, AOC, and WAR are: massive license hype failures. I think you nailed it with that word.
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, they're currents. I missed the launch number request. My bad.

NP. I'm actually happy to know SWG still has 50k players, and it also validates my guesstimates from another thread:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2410904#post2410904
    edited March 2010
    gx4th wrote: »
    Why do people care about the amount of subscribers in a game? To predict its (apparently soon) demise?
    Ah well. If that's what gets you motivated, then more power to you.

As for me, I like driving cars with proper gearboxes, even though most other Americans prefer slushies.
    I like this game, even though most other gamers enjoy WoW.

Some people just have to have something to gripe about and some that aren't getting thier particular issues addressed find anything and everything they can to wail about. It's kind of like a child throwing a tantrum, anything is an excuse.

Arguably, a larger population is better but I have never seen such a high level of scrutiny on a game that has not even been out 60 days. Following these boards for the last 2 months I've watched Cryptic attempt to address every concern that is posted as much as is humanly possible and yet the complainers just keep at it. Some people just don't want to be happy.
    edited March 2010
    It serves no purpose to constantly fanboi Cryptic from the few fans who rabidly protect it's MMO launch.

You mean like how it serves no purpose comparing current sub numbers from several year old MMOs to STO's launch numbers?
    edited March 2010
    NP. I'm actually happy to know SWG still has 50k players, and it also validates my guesstimates from another thread:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2410904#post2410904

Yep, SWG still has 50k, and at that small a number, they're still getting new content every once in a while, too. So much for the argument that we need huge sub numbers to get content made.
    edited March 2010
    It amazes me that every day you guys come on the forums and try to find something else to complain about, when it comes to star trek online. It is also becoming clear that alot of these negative posts are desighned to drive people away from the game. Yes there are a few areas lacking, but for the love of mercy, when i was growing up i dare not dream a game like this could even exsists. You know what you did in the first orignal star trek games? All you did was fly your ship around destroying stuff, that it is all you did. The actual interaction like bridge commander was not until much later.

It is clear that cryptic is working hard on sto, the fact that they have patch/content lined up one after another, is proof of that. So what it comes down to is frankly i dont give about if its only 100,000 subscribers. If you really hate the game this much then leave. I know the next words out your mouth are goint to be TROLL LOL!
    edited March 2010
    None of this really matters unless we know exactly how much $$$ it took for them to roll out STO and how much $$$ they need per month to sustain it. If, for example, they budgeted the game to be sustained with 50k subscribers, then they're doing very well.

Only time this starts to matter is when STFs, endgame content, etc. require multiple groups, fleets, or just a group of people to complete and there's only a few online when you (me) log on.
    edited March 2010
    You mean like how it serves no purpose comparing current sub numbers from several year old MMOs to STO's launch numbers?

Again, I really appreciate you helping post numbers in my thread. Otherwise, not sure other than you are trying to provoke a fight what your post is trying to do.
    edited March 2010
    Again, I really appreciate you helping post numbers in my thread. Otherwise, not sure other than you are trying to provoke a fight what your post is trying to do.

As I explained earlier, I like to keep threads like this in the public eye for laughs. However, I am also waiting on you to attempt some kind of reply at how you think comparing current numbers from MMOs that are several years old to STO's launch numbers means anything. Please enlighten us all with your logic.
    edited March 2010
    None of this really matters unless we know exactly how much $$$ it took for them to roll out STO and how much $$$ they need per month to sustain it. If, for example, they budgeted the game to be sustained with 50k subscribers, then they're doing very well.

Well we kind of already know that, they said before lauch "we are happy with 100k", i guess by "happy" they mean they are able to pay their bills with that or more ... so your answer is already hidden in name of the Thread .... the OP is just using the 100k statement completely wrong, by adding the word "Only" and by claiming thats the actual amount of subscribers, to build his Doomsday Machine ... even if 100k woulnd't be Doomsday, but why bother with logic .... looking at his avatar it's obvious he hates Vulcans as well :P
    As I explained earlier, I like to keep threads like this in the public eye for laughs. However, I am also waiting on you to attempt some kind of reply at how you think comparing current numbers from MMOs that are several years old to STO's launch numbers means anything. Please enlighten us all with your logic.

still waiting for my popcorn though ;)
    edited March 2010
    It has not been stated how many people are subscribed to this game, first and foremost that is fact.
    This thread was clearly started from a thought, likely something along the lines of (Good podcast,wonder how many people play STO,worried it aint got player base trek fans/cryptic are hoping for) and it is very likely as with many posts on these forums someone is attention seeking.
    I made a post in a thread several weeks back giving my opinion on how many people will be playing this game later on down the road when it really takes off, im not worried, this game is successfull, and will become even more so as time goes on.
    Now, with regards to what was "actually" said in that interview, Jack said quite confidently-exceeded 100k subscribers.
    What is typed and what is spoken are two very different things, tone of voice and wording are everything.
    My advice is take it all with a pinch of salt and make you're own opinion until it is clearly written out by cryptic themselfs, and by opinion i dont mean have a moan and whine on these forums trying to freak out the trekkies LOL.
    Best fo luck, enjoy the game and quit worrying.
    edited March 2010
    Shhh, Apparently we'd be labeled as minority outcasts if we're to enjoy STO.

Lol :D

We might wake up the trolls!
    edited March 2010
    Stop beeing so nagativ. it will destroy your soul :(
    edited March 2010
    Why do people care about the amount of subscribers in a game? To predict its (apparently soon) demise?
    No. They care because the number of subscribers is a key controlling factor in how much content is added to the game.

As a completely made up example, suppose increasing Klingon content would cost $135,000 and increase retention 3%. If a 3% increase in retention means $250,000 a quarter, then the content will likely get added. If a 3% increase in retention means $15,000 a quarter, then the content will likely not get added.

The more subscribers the game has and the more money the game is making, the more likely that Cryptic will allow their most talented people to continue working on it.
    edited March 2010

Maybe its because thats all we have to go on? I mean lotro having 250k subs took a while. They had 1 million beta testers sign up but at launch only 100k or so actually subscribed. As they added content and expanded the end-game more people started to file in. Also in lotro as many other games people come and go ona regular basis. I see people I know resub for the expansions etc then power through it in a month and cancel until the next.

So there really is no way of knowing since I know for a fact Turbine does not release subscriber numbers. Also I find it odd they supposedly have exactly 100,000 not 96754 or anything. So thise sub numbers at least for lotro are a guess and nothing more. Maybe an educated guess but still a guess.

Also bumping threads just for "laughs" is a violation of the code of conduct.
    edited March 2010
    Eriadni wrote:
    Lol :D

We might wake up the trolls!

They don't usually arrive until after noon.

Also, Eve's numbers are misleading due to their counting accounts and not unique players. If they count players, it's closer to 250 people multi-boxing.
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:
    Maybe its because thats all we have to go on?

If thats all we have to go on, then there is nothing to discuss. How many subs a game that has been out for 5 years has compared to how many subs STO has at launch proves NOTHING. A ridiculous comparison is worse than no comparison at all.
    JamesH2010 wrote:
    Also bumping threads just for "laughs" is a violation of the code of conduct.

Good thing thats only half the reason then. Still waiting on OPs response to the actual question.
    edited March 2010
    "Well over 100,000 subscribers"- thebigfreaks.com interview Jack Emmert of Cryptic Studios

Not well over 250,000- Around LOTRO numbers now

Not well over 500,000- Around EVE Online numbers: their competitor in the genre

Not well over 1 million- Around GW numbers

Just 100,000

This is exceedingly concerning where Star Trek has arguably one of the largest most passionate fanbases in the world, and they could only get 100,000. The exodus after the first month must have been HUGE.

If the major content isn't coming for 6 months in Season 2, how are they possibly going to keep even the 100,000 subs happy?

thread hijack.