test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Subnucleonic Beam...wow.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
A 22 second recharge debuff to anything it hits. Nothing can defend against it and leaves you sitting to do nothing but watch yourself die. It recharges just as fast as you can re-spawn and get back into action. If you are the target, you *will* die. Unless you are lucky and are teamed with a medical ship, which is not your choice in open PvP, you die. Forget it, if it's a part of the opposing teams arsenal, you *will* die.

Interesting. Makes me really want to make a Science Officer. Trouble is, I already have all three slots filled up. So unless I want to reroll once again (Already rerolled from RA5 once) I have to sit tight and wait for another slot to become available.

Now here is my problem. I know Cryptic...nothing that powerful lasts very long in their games. Nothing. If I am going to roll a Science Officer, I need more reasons than just Subnucleonic Beam to roll one.

My characters are in my Sig, so there is my experience with the game. Would somebody care to enlighten me as to some good reasons to play a Science officer other than that wonderful, but will never last as is, toy called Subnucleonic Beam?

/em walks away talking to self "That is one cool ability!"

P.S. Just realized my class was not in my sig. Navar = Engineer. Goth and Zor-el = Tactical.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    nerf incoming

snb and vm need to be removed from game
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    along with

FBP

Target Subsystems X

RSP

DEM

Etc....

Anything that does cool stuff that people whine about will be nerfed.

SNB is FBP are probably tops on the list.

VM can be countered with Science team. It is not nearly as bad as it was.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mike111 wrote:
    along with

FBP

Target Subsystems X

RSP

DEM

Etc....

Anything that does cool stuff that people whine about will be nerfed.

SNB is FBP are probably tops on the list.

My Engineer has RSP I RSP II and RSP III. I think many people are under the assumption that RSP is a Science officer buff only, when it is not.

I am confused as to what DEM and FBP are though. Not familiar with those abbreviations. Although I am sure I will do a face palm once you tell me.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wraiven wrote: »
    My Engineer has RSP I RSP II and RSP III. I think many people are under the assumption that RSP is a Science officer buff only, when it is not.

I am confused as to what DEM and FBP are though. Not familiar with those abbreviations. Although I am sure I will do a face palm once you tell me.

Directed Energy Modulation and Feedback Pulse if I'm not mistaken
  • Options
    edited March 2010

/em facepalm
  • Options
    edited March 2010

You are correct. Personally they aren't that big a deal. VM is the worst of the bunch.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mike111 wrote:
    along with

i have several times had VM applied to me and Sci Team did NOT break it as advertised.

but point being snb leaves you defensless and has no counter availalable
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    2Dragon wrote: »
    You are correct. Personally they aren't that big a deal. VM is the worst of the bunch.

I don't find them to be a big deal at all. In my opinion, the only powers that need updated are Viral Matrix and Sub-Nucleonic beam and the only updates they need is the ability to break them with Science Team.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't find them to be a big deal at all. In my opinion, the only powers that need updated are Viral Matrix and Sub-Nucleonic beam and the only updates they need is the ability to break them with Science Team.

i'd agree with that IF sci team broke them.....sci team is supposed to break vm currently but i have as recently as today, been unable to break vm using sci team
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I do agree. I would never scream for a nerf of any power in this game. I personally find it quite balanced. But SNB does need an ability that will allow you to escape it's function.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wraiven wrote: »
    I do agree. I would never scream for a nerf of any power in this game. I personally find it quite balanced. But SNB does need an ability that will allow you to escape it's function.

that is in itself a nerf...but yes....every ability should have the possibility of being countered...a previous poster said to make sci team break it...that would be simplest and satisfy most people
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I really do have to applaud the devs on making the power. Sub-nucleonic beams were only referenced in a single episode of Star Trek. You can tell that the devs have watched the shows, as they have found so many obscure references like this.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JTR455 wrote:
    that is in itself a nerf...

I do not agree. I asked for a buff of one ability, not a debuff of the other. Technicalities, I love 'em!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rumors say all this nice powers and skills, wich mak one of the rare interesting aspects of the game, will be nerfed or taken out of the game. Maybe because whinings, ragequits and blaming the concept for own failures.

After that, especially the PvPers will get "sapce-suits". So they can climb out of their vessels and stand on their saucers (given there are magnetic boots coming with the "space-suits").

After they find the best position on - or under - the saucer, they can start to throw batteries on each other.

So start collecting batteries! Don't leave them behind or sell them to the replicator!

Batteries - I tell you - we really need more batteries! ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wow hey that's cool........being a science officer and all doing cool science things is a killer for the dps players.

Seriously......if you guy nerfs all the cool sci skills.....what will be the point in playing that class? Don't nerf em just adjust em or get soem sort of anti VM or anti SNB skill etc etc.

This is why no one can make decent builds because they are always being messed up.

I put points into tachyons.....I hear they are getting nerfed!!! thanks people!! Can you stop it with this already?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    VM is breakable by science team, but science team I can't break the higer level VM's.

Also, RSP is the shiznit. I have 2 slotted, and they are tankolicious. Word.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I really do have to applaud the devs on making the power. Sub-nucleonic beams were only referenced in a single episode of Star Trek. You can tell that the devs have watched the shows, as they have found so many obscure references like this.

Is it the episode when Sisko lose the Defiant without a fight being totally power drained ?

Look at Sisko's face, is he having fun in a totally fair fight or does he feel totally frustrated having one the worst day of his life ?

It's the same for players, this kind of OP ability give people a bad feeling on the game and are a paradise for lamers.

To nerf ASAP !
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Merel wrote:
    Is it the episode when Sisko lose the Defiant without a fight being totally power drained ?

Look at Sisko's face, is he having fun in a totally fair fight or does he feel totally frustrated having one the worst day of his life ?

It's the same for players, this kind of OP ability give people a bad feeling on the game and are a paradise for lamers.

To nerf ASAP !

Seeing as you can still fly/maneuver with Sub-Nuc being on you, I'm pretty sure Sisko would have order his crew to fly... rather than crying for a Nerf...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Merel wrote:

To nerf ASAP !

No. That's the Breen Energy Dissipator. Subnucleonic beams are a Hirogen Weapon designed to power down a ship in order for them to tractor it in.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JTR455 wrote:
    i'd agree with that IF sci team broke them.....sci team is supposed to break vm currently but i have as recently as today, been unable to break vm using sci team

Hmmm..was working for me yesterday.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DocGratis wrote: »
    Seeing as you can still fly/maneuver with Sub-Nuc being on you, I'm pretty sure Sisko would have order his crew to fly... rather than crying for a Nerf...

That would still leave cruisers to die easily.. If they get hit with it with facing shield low or down, their all but dead, no redistributing shields, no evasive manuvers, no emergency shields, and turns way too slow to turn before a torpedo hits bare hull.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Everything should have a counter, and as far as I can tell, there is no counter to SNB. And, yea, I've been hit with it with over 20 second cool down, which means, I'm dead. Just watch the counter count down, and watch your ship's health drop and see which gets to zero first.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Here's how It should be:

- VM can be countered with Sci team (reliably)
    - SNB breaks on damage (fragile hold) so it acts as a "mez" instead of a "stun."

This change, especially the second item, would go a long away. it would mean SNB would still be effective for CC, but not an "I win" button anymore.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The point is that SNB should only receive a very slight nerf at most. Science Vessels have already been nerfed enough. They just need to add in a chance to break it with Science Team or something.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Beaker2009 wrote: »
    Everything should have a counter, and as far as I can tell, there is no counter to SNB. And, yea, I've been hit with it with over 20 second cool down, which means, I'm dead. Just watch the counter count down, and watch your ship's health drop and see which gets to zero first.

This dude said it all......everything should have a counter.

Stop nerfing TRIBBLE.....just make a counter for it.

Thank you please
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Viral Matrix is fine on its own. Subnucleonic beam on the other hand is completely overpowered. Not being able to use any of your defensive cooldowns, or anything for that matter, is absolutely devastating. With damage being as high as it is, using this ability is a guaranteed kill almost every time.
    Brucebleo wrote:
    This dude said it all......everything should have a counter.

Stop nerfing TRIBBLE.....just make a counter for it.

Thank you please

Making a counter for it would still technically be a nerf since that would diminish it's power.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JTR455 wrote:
    nerf incoming

snb and vm need to be removed from game

oh i agree. i have them myself but would be nice to se them gone.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    stararmy wrote: »
    - SNB breaks on damage (fragile hold) so it acts as a "mez" instead of a "stun."

That's genius.

No I'm not being sarcastic for once, that's brilliant. It's still powerful and has a use, but you can't just completely TRIBBLE over the enemy with it. You can disable one enemy so you can engage another, you can use it to get the hell out of there....you just can't use it as a half minute gank button.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What? No call to nerf the Science Photonic Fleet ability? I mean come on, being in the middle of a PvP match and having three RA level photonic ships pop in once every 15mins to focus fire on one poor VM'd and SNB'd ship? Oman, talk about OP! ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I want an "I Win" Button. Already one in game though. Klingon Battle Cloak.

Insert Rim Shot here

:)