test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Admiral rank pvp

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited March 2010 in PvP Gameplay
This is all I see 50% snb/vm jam boats and 50% carriers who swap fighters till they have at least 20 if not 50 of them out
I am not saying federation does not use the science exploits too but out of 10 players I might see 2 science ships or 1
And yes I abuse rsp because its the only thing that can keep you alive when you cant remove vm, I have and use multiple science teams and it does not help. You remove vm and someone else hits you with it right away or snb, or you use science team and nothing happens because all you removed was jam or sensor scan.
And I don't even bother with ground combat the few times I tried all that I saw was permahold
I do like the game and I don't mind losing but I cant stand losing to people who abuse game mechanics

I even made a healboat since I see hardly any team healing. I thought I would try snb/vm since even as a healboat I was getting hit with it constantly. And to my suprise my vm hardly ever works even at the start of the game when there should be no way the enemy has immunity? I know they can't be removing it because I jam/snb then vm. And whereas like I said on my cruiser as soon as vm wears off or I remove it somehow I get hit with it again? Wtf is that, do they stack bonuses to get it like that? O_o

And lol I think it says something about ground pvp when you see 120+ queued for space battles and you see like 1-4 for ground.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    if its a ligit skill/ability how is it an exploit?
    edited March 2010
    1.To employ to the greatest possible advantage: exploit one's talents.
    2. To make use of selfishly or unethically: a country that exploited peasant labor.
    3. To advertise; promote.
    I didn't say it was against some sort of rule but I am pretty sure snb was not intended to last 18 seconds which is what I am seeing. And I am not entirely sure there is meant to be an "unbreakable" hold either. Sure you can get some people to dump 2-3 science teams on you but yea that's going to happen.
    I was told in game by a klingon that apparently having 40 or so fighters out at the same time is ok and working as intended as per a dev.
    I don't know what federation has that can come close to matching a klingon science officer piloting a ship with what I can only guess has 2-3x more hull than a star cruiser, >4000< crew and spitting out endless fighters, of which they can swap around at the start of the game and have 24(if they are nice) or possibly upwards of 40 by the time you run across them. Of course it wont matter because they are going to hit you with an 18 second global disable that nothing will remove.
    I don't know...I actually like to be able to put up a fight and see my enemy do the same. Not be permadisabled and rolled up by an endless stream of fighters. etc
    edited March 2010
    *ahem* to quote a great forum poster....

Less QQ more Sun Tzu

Edited later and slightly more sober: If you want advice on beating this do a search of the forums. There are dozens of posts on both your belief of Career OPness and SNB/VM.

Or if you want to get those mechanics changed, I'd recommend finding an existing thread and posting your fervent support.... Sans the wall of text you seem to be fond of...

Otherwise... see my first comment.
    edited March 2010
    I agree with the OP,

I do not want a guide on how to overcome exploits and counter magic abilities, I am sorry.

I would like to be able to engage in tactical battles where turning my ship to exchange shield facing is possible and as advertised, where rerouting power to a weak shield is also possible as advertised, where using my primary weapons is possible as advertised, where Power management actually means something in combat, where planning maneuvers and positioning mean something and all all these advertised mechanics work like they are supposed to and not defied by some "I win Buttons" and thrown out the widow by abilities that nullify their existence.

I just hit T5, but I laughed so hard during T4 PvP commanding the slowest non Behemouth carrier ship of the game (galaxy Class), and struggling to shake an enemy that was locked in the same shield facing which goes down in 1 second like if it was never there, and a hull of 35 k that vaporizes in 2, and on top of it some feel the need to be able to stop that slumbering ship to get a better aim at it too using VM.

I am of course expecting the same in T5, until something is done by Cryptic and they decide to actually implement a Ship to Ship combat system in this game, worthy of Star Trek, yet my patience will start running thin at one point too.
    edited March 2010
    i agree with suraknar , this is not wizards and warriors , its supposed to be a tactical space battle, as ive stated before the chumps that use these 1 2 3 button kills have no talent and cant handle the game otherwise, other words sore losers and peeps that dont klike to lose, my patience for this game wears thin as well, as the fleet im in since SFC HAS MOVED ON TO BF2 BC, And most likely to stay depending on this 45 day patch, we are klingon so guess what another 10 peeps or so gone soon . :mad:
    edited March 2010
    I for one, don't use VM by choice. I find it is one of the most OP abilities in the game and I won't contribute to more griefing. It requires balancing without a doubt.

I am guilty of using SNB, for the sole purpose that as a Science Officer, I do not have the option to trade off that skill for something else. By then forced to use every tool at my disposal. Give me an option to change the slot to something equivalent but not abusive and I will.

I am a Science officer on a Science ship, and I am saying NERF VM and SNB!
    edited March 2010
    the only time I use VM is when I am playing my Fed Science toon, and I use VM I, III, with Sub Nuc, I just impulse in and start VM, and sub nuc different players to give those extra seconds to destroy which ever target they are on.

I have 2 other toons both tactical, both max rank, even though I can use VM with my BO's I don't, I just don't really care for Science abilities, and prefer survivability and/or destruction.
    edited March 2010
    I am a new Admiral and had my first taste of pvp at this level, and it wasn't good.

I know science team 1 doesn't counter VM but team 2 does. Problem is I have yet to come across a BO with that skill. One way to counter all the fighters may be torp spread.

I think either drop the effectiveness of skills such as VM or increase the effectiveness of the counters such as Science teams. I know I dont last long when hit by VM, defidently not the 18 secs? it takes to wear off and I cant find a defence against it, I know its out there but apparenty not for me.

I don't usually like to complain but I really got to like pvp, didn't think I would when I got the game, but if they cant come up with some sort of Fed responce to 40 fighters and fix certain skills I don't know how much fun it can be.

My 2 bits, and as stated I only have a few matches under my belt at this level so my attitude towards it could change.
    edited March 2010
    Not sure if this has been brought up before but how would you all feel about making VM target-able? Something more along the lines of a slower moving projectile able to be shot down. Of course just moving closer to a target before using vm would limit the time they have to target and fire on it. I am not sure how this would play out... just a thought.

Other than that I agree that current 'tactics' in pvp are not what I was expecting/hoping for.