test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Beta Ursae Sector feedback (potential spoilers)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Federation Discussion
(Well ok, not much of potential spoilers, but you never know)

So I've arrived in the Beta Ursae sector, freshly minted Captain's rank pips on my uniform, and boldly head off to do Captain James Kurland's bidding (in one of those confusing situations where I'm being ordered about by someone of equal rank). Yet, curiously unlike my preceding experiences on the Klingon and Romulan fronts, this sector sets out to really confuse rather than guide. Admiral Quinn told me all about the Klingons; Admiral T'nae did her best to tell me about the Romulans. All Kurland talks about is the True Way, but in the following little saga, I don't even see them...

Given that my new Exploration Cruiser has the speed and turn of a sloth, I can't evade deep space encounters very well. A DSE looking remarkably like a Starfleet ship rams into me. Ok, strange, but fair enough. I'm greeted by dialogue that informs me that I need to defend myself against O'Brien's ships.

Er, what? Ok, confusion level rising, but we'll leave it be. Lets' go into the DSE.

The objective doesn't help much: 'Defeat the Reman threat'

More confused, I hail the DSE's local captain who in all DSEs helpfully explains what is going on and why I'm shooting him (such helpful enemies!)

He's listed as Terran Federation... and proceeds to tell me to go die in a fire or words to that effect. Now I'm really confused - some guy called O'Brien is doing stuff, there's a Terran Federation, flying Starfleet ships, who seem to want to kill me, and the game thinks they're Remans.

Compare and contrast for a moment; all preceding data about, say, the Borg or the Klingons or the Romulans was helpfully thrown at you during early mission briefings or in the tutorial. You rather expect to come across them - your first DSE in Sirius space isn't a surprise at all. This rogue faction that has apparently turned up hasn't even been mentioned! It's all Cardassians this, and True Way that. Worse, everyone telling me about them assumes I know what they're talking about!

Maybe it's just me, but if I were briefing potential Captains dropping by my Deep Space Nine station, I might just consider mentioning this kind of thing beforehand - you know, like: 'Captain, you need to be aware of this rebel faction'.

Now, since I've not yet progressed into the Beta Ursae storylines, this might be a colossally unhelpful bug; either way, it either needs fixing or improving so that this stuff actually makes any sense. (I am aware of who Miles O'Brien is; a potential candidate for whoever 'O'Brien' is in the above, but if you're going to drop massive spoilers like that, do so with a bit more care, tact, thought, actual story, design?)

However, it gets better. I was cruising across Beta Ursae for my first patrol there; the Reimers system. I enter the mission. My tactical officer informs me about Klingons and preventing further incursions into Federation space. Hang on. Maybe my short-sighted tactical officer hasn't glanced at the map lately, but we're in Cardassian space. Whilst I'm aware that prior to the Dominion War, the Klingons conquered several Cardassian worlds, it would have been nice to have been briefed about a potential two-front Klingon threat, seeing as said sector is at the entire opposite side of the Federation from Klingon territory.

If we want to prevent incursions, maybe preventing them getting all the way across the Federation would have been a good initial move, no?

So in summary, my initial experience in Cardassian space left me bewildered and confused when compared and contrasted with the reasonable experiences I'd had in the preceding sectors.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Ahhh, let me clear things up for you.

The True Way was founded by Miles O'Brien after he left Deep Space 9. After the last episode of DS9, he went back to Starfleet Academy where he taught for several years before being implicated in numerous scandals involving "inappropriate relations" with female students. He was going to a disciplinary hearing when he used a command override on the ships that were docked at Star Base 1, effectively stealing them all. Then he went to Beta Ursae to join with the Cardassians and Jem Hadar to oppose the Federation. Rumor has it that he's mostly cybernetic at this point but it remains to be seen if a mission is going to revolve around this. He did all this to impress Julian Bashir but Bashir was tragically killed in a True Way attack, which drove O'Brien over the edge. O'Brien's main goal is to capture the USS Enterprise.
  • Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    atemporal wrote: »
    Ahhh, let me clear things up for you.

The True Way was founded by Miles O'Brien after he left Deep Space 9. After the last episode of DS9, he went back to Starfleet Academy where he taught for several years before being implicated in numerous scandals involving "inappropriate relations" with female students. He was going to a disciplinary hearing when he used a command override on the ships that were docked at Star Base 1, effectively stealing them all. Then he went to Beta Ursae to join with the Cardassians and Jem Hadar to oppose the Federation. Rumor has it that he's mostly cybernetic at this point but it remains to be seen if a mission is going to revolve around this. He did all this to impress Julian Bashir but Bashir was tragically killed in a True Way attack, which drove O'Brien over the edge. O'Brien's main goal is to capture the USS Enterprise.

Impress little story haha,

The game is still bugged regarding the mirror universe content.....whether any patch in the future will fix this remains to be seen. keep playing into the DS9 missions and it will make more sense.