test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please redo the Fed Dreadnought... It looks like a cruise ship.. :(

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Federation Discussion
It seriously reminds me of todays ocean liners, or those big "boats" from 2012. The tiny nacells don't help matters either lol. I guess while i'm here I should hate on the Trident too...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Yeah...the USS Loveboat....

on the other hand the Typhoon class is pretty nice to look at :)
    edited March 2010
    I have not seen this yet but some of the Playable Federation designs ... really do not follow Star Fleet Architectural Grace...

I did not have trouble choosing a T4 Model at all...Because in my eyes there was only one federation Design amongst the choices.

Same with T2 for the most part...what i particularly dislike is the lack of hangar bays/doors in the new models Cryptic has made..and the disproportionate Nacelles.... some look like a baby bath toy stuck on a cardboard...

Star fleet design Lines have to be graceful...proportionate..organically and logically following...anyways...my aesthetic eye needed to let some pressure go.
    edited March 2010
    Suraknar wrote: »
    I have not seen this yet but some of the Playable Federation designs ... really do not follow Star Fleet Architectural Grace...

I did not have trouble choosing a T4 Model at all...Because in my eyes there was only one federation Design amongst the choices.

Same with T2 for the most part...what i particularly dislike is the lack of hangar bays/doors in the new models Cryptic has made..and the disproportionate Nacelles.... some look like a baby bath toy stuck on a cardboard...

Star fleet design Lines have to be graceful...proportionate..organically and logically following...anyways...my aesthetic eye needed to let some pressure go.

I would suggest that the aesthetic designs of old may have been more costly and perhaps the Federation has put more emphasis on low cost, quick to build ships due to the war status.

Clearly the ships built from the 2270's thru 2300 had longevity since they were still using Excelsior classes 80 years later. These ships were the best built and most eye-pleasing, imo. The golden age of Starfleet engineering has past, I feel.
    edited March 2010
    The Dreadnought model would be suitable as a NON-Starfleet ship.

Starfleet has demonstrated a strong design ethic which is consistent in all eras (even the pre-Fed Enterprise era). The Dreadnought is a radical departure from this established design ethic, and so should be dropped in favor of a design that does follow it.

The Fed T4Cruiser ships are poorly done (the Galaxy is riddled with so many basic flaws, that it is a separate thread all to itself). The Envoy, in particular, is AWFUL, and does not fit in with the other designs in this group in the slightest.
    edited March 2010
    kanid wrote:
    I would suggest that the aesthetic designs of old may have been more costly and perhaps the Federation has put more emphasis on low cost, quick to build ships due to the war status.

Clearly the ships built from the 2270's thru 2300 had longevity since they were still using Excelsior classes 80 years later. These ships were the best built and most eye-pleasing, imo. The golden age of Starfleet engineering has past, I feel.

Aesthetics, and Architectural ethics and Tradition has nothing to do with cost. have you seen the Nacelles and of one of the T4 ships... (I am sorry I did not even memorize the name of these ships)...the other one looks like it came out of Cobra Commander's Garage, to say nothing about the spoon Pylons.

I understand Cryptic wants to add its own artistic flair and originality in to this and with some designs they have done really great even the Destiny looks Star Fleet, as well as the Cerberus..but the T2 Cruisers other than the Enterprise and T4 Cruisers other than the Galaxy are...not it.

There have been Thousands of nice designs over the years from so many sources to draw inspiration from...heck..if Cryptic wanted they could do it like FLS in POTBS and have us the players make ships...player created content...give the word and i'll fire up Maya and give it my best!

And through this all, the Excelsior and the Ambassador as well as the Nebula...all very Iconic Ship Designs...have been Neglected!
    edited March 2010
    You mean the USS Victory? The one thats shaped like a toilet with warp nacelles? :D
    edited March 2010
    You mean the USS Victory? The one thats shaped like a toilet with warp nacelles? :D

Thank you. I'll be sending you the bill for the brain bleach I'm going to need against the mental scarring your comment caused. :p
    edited March 2010
    Paying C-Store money for a mod that lets you sit your Capt on top of the ship with his pants down holding a newspaper! PST!
    edited March 2010
    Paying C-Store money for a mod that lets you sit your Capt on top of the ship with his pants down holding a newspaper! PST!

*shoots himself*

Doesn't that violate some sort of forum guideline? >.<
    I feel violated alright... :p
    edited March 2010
    I'm not a fan as well, it really needs a retooling.
    edited March 2010
    Now you see why the non-fed powers think fed ships look funny. Klingons, Cardassians, and Romulans all manage to make their ships not look like a toilet lid with nacelles attached.
    edited March 2010
    honestly I thought victory would end up as our carrier, and another un-designed ship would be our dreadnought.
    edited March 2010
    I got the impression that it's a placeholder, the "Jupiter" one on the sector space map (don't know if the name is randomly generated) is even missing a face on part of it's model and can see right through the ship.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/ADCK/screenshot_2010-03-09-02-53-12.jpg

The Victory has the same issue.
    edited March 2010
    The klingons get a flyable dread, why can the federation have one too?

But I agree, it's very ugly. Looks more like a mobile officer buiding than a dreadnought.
    edited March 2010
    Mine looks like this

And it has the coolest lido Deck!

http://pixar.wikia.com/File:WALLEship.jpg
    edited March 2010
    It looks like a sardine or metallic gold fish, if you zoom out really far. :)

http://bit.ly/9orlzM
    Carriers are the real Dreadnought jocks here in terms of looks.
    edited March 2010
    Surgery wrote:
    Carriers are the real Dreadnought jocks here in terms of looks.

Carriers are not ships... they're space stations with limited mobility... and TRIBBLE defenses for space stations; the only real thing they need to add to them are hangars for tow ships :D
    edited March 2010
    I got the impression that it's a placeholder, the "Jupiter" one on the sector space map (don't know if the name is randomly generated) is even missing a face on part of it's model and can see right through the ship.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/ADCK/screenshot_2010-03-09-02-53-12.jpg

The Victory has the same issue.

Those pylons look like it is an assemble it yourself card board toy...kind of ship...

It may just be a placeholder ship to fill in the void and needs of some missions, at one point in the future it may just get replaced.
    edited March 2010
    -looks around-

i prefer the ISS ships to the fed ones... what... you're all going to hit me now aren't you...

*massages his goatee* what?
    edited March 2010
    That is one UGLY ship. Man, it's so ugly it is not even funny. All the "your momma is so ugly" jokes don't even come close.

Really, change it. It is incredibly ugly :(
    edited March 2010
    I know cryptic wanted to get their fingers into new ship designs, BUT MY GOD WTH is that thing?!?!?!?!

they should really look for a more streamlined looking ship. The one a guy posted in the carrier thread looks more like a fed ship than the Jupiter class
    edited March 2010
    Definitely not the greatest looking dreadnought out there, especially being a Federation ship which usually look pretty cool.