test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My thoughts on new faction.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I saw in the most recent state of the game that you guys at Cryptic are thinking of adding another faction. This is really exciting news, and regardless of who you chose I'm sure it will be interesting. I just wanted to voice my opinion that the Cardassians would make a great new faction. Why not the Romulans or the Dominion you ask? To me, the way Cryptic set up the Romulans, they are too broken, disorganized and hostile towards one another to make a cohesive faction. The Romulan Star Empire has more infighting and discord than even the notoriously aggressive Klingon Empire at the moment, and such hostilities may make it hard to give them a mission/story line worthy of their lore. That being said, they would probably be my second choice, simply because of how much history and backstory they have. The Dominion on the other hand is still, even after the war with the Federation, pretty much in the shadows as far as lore goes. We know some of the races, and the motivations behind them, but they are really a blank slate. Cryptic could probably do something interesting with it, but there is the very real risk of just copping out to make the Great Link hostile towards solids again - something I don't really see happening after the return of Odo.

This brings us back to the Cardassians. After the Dominion War, the Cardassians were left with a world in ruins and an empire in shambles. The following rebuilding of Cardassia Prime and the setting up of new Government make for a really cool "Out-of-the-Ashes" kind of story for players to get into. Unlike the Romulans with their shadowy inner-workings, or the Dominion who's only known ambition seemed to be conquering, we are presented with the Cardassians a vast amount of historical, cultural and military background. DS9 really shined in making the Cardassians a likable race that viewers could connect with on a number of levels, while presenting them as something really different from the Federations, Klingons or any other faction/race. Also, just think of the cool possibilities with their ship designs!

So I say Make it So, Cryptic! When do I get to start blasting stuff away with my Galor Class cruiser?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Cardassians suck. Nobody wants to play those. They need to make Romulans playable. Everyone likes those.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The thing is though, according to the info on the loading screens that you see and what you gather from in game the Cardassians signed a treaty to say that they would forgo any military force in order to get the resources they needed to rebuild after the war.

That doesn't really leave much room to build on to make them a playable faction at the moment unless Cryptic decide to make the True Way faction of the Cardassians the Playable side. To do that, they need to hold off on opening the Cardassians up as playable for a while until they can develop The True Way faction a little further so that they have some territory, or bases or something, since at the moment we haven't really seen much of them in the game besides a few ships here and there.

But I agree with your reasoning, the Romulans are a divided people at the moment and it would be a bit awkward with them being the next playable faction in the game. But as it stands, they still have the most territory and more bases in the sectors open so they would still be the logical choice for the moment, going on game content.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Romulans please.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    if no one plays Klingons, why spend more money to develop Episodic content for them?

if no one plays KLingons, why spend more money developing other factions?

to believe that Cryptic will release Roms and Cards in any manner other than they released Klings (bare-bones, w/later content being surmised of re-skinned Fed content) is delusional.

they cant get people to play the alternative faction they have now. they're not going to invest too heavily in any future factions. it's just not good business sense.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    if no one plays Klingons, why spend more money to develop Episodic content for them?

if no one plays KLingons, why spend more money developing other factions?

to believe that Cryptic will release Roms and Cards in any manner other than they released Klings (bare-bones, w/later content being surmised of re-skinned Fed content) is delusional.

they cant get people to play the alternative faction they have now. they're not going to invest too heavily in any future factions. it's just not good business sense.

lets judge that after they fix the klingons, once they add pve content then lets see if people come back

not developing klingons, then not adding romulans or cardassians makes less business sense.

you have to spend money to make money
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I would be in favor of adding Romulans as long as its done fully. I would rather wait a bit longer and have em fully fleshed out as opposed to a half finished faction.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i expect every major faction you see in the game now, will be playable at some point. those being: Gorn,Romulans,True way (cardassians + jem hdar), Udine and maybe even borg and ferengi.