test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Too Many Admiral! :(

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    How many times has one character in Star Trek warned another against letting yourself get promoted to Admiral?

It annoys the heck out of me.

Not only is it 'too many chiefs, not enough indians" the game is calling us chiefs when we're not. There's none of the responsibility and authority that comes with being a flag officer.

Psssst. You are no flag-officer. "Admiral" is just a shiny name for level nr. xyz...
    edited March 2010
    How about metals or special rewards?

This just an idea but they could add things like special metals or special badges (HARD TO GET ONES) for completing special missions.
    edited March 2010
    OP hush. No one is elite cause they can grind more hours. This is a game.. plain and simple.
    edited March 2010
    Absolutely!! My eyes roll every time I think about how they eliminated a perfectly valid rank (LT JG) so that we could all become Admirals.

It would ONLY be cool if, upon reaching Admiral, all your missions changed into things like:

"Sit through 0/5 meetings on proposed revisions to Starfleet Instruction (SFI) 10-204 - Personal Use of Starfleet Provided Holodecks"

"Incorporate 0/5 important-sounding but meaningless buzzwords in your next speach"

"Ignore 0/5 operational concerns to allow you better fixate on your 4-star's personal issues and pet projects"

"Take credit for 0/5 projects you and your staff only served to hinder throughout their duration."

"Redirect blame to 0/5 other staff agencies for the operational concerns you ignored earlier."

Now THAT would make real flag officers!! :)
    edited March 2010
    Airwane wrote: »
    Don't you think that there is too many Admiral?
    beside Admiral in ST stay behind desk.
    I think from captain to admiral it should be a lil more tougher.

the fact that we at war and there is a lot of captain that's fine but admiral???

I do agree 500 admirals running around doesnt make any sense
    edited March 2010
    Jujube wrote: »
    We don't need a mechanic that gives incentive to divide players up even more, it barely feels like an MMO as it is. Everyone would just go off and make their own fleet for that reason.

If anything higher titles like admiral should be earned through the achievement system they have partially implemented. Every game has implemented that achievement system in some way or fashion because... well it gives players goals and keeps them playing, don't try to fix something thats not broken or reinvent the wheel so to say.

X amount of PvP battles won
    X amount of repeat/daily quests done
    X amount of points earned

You get the idea: This way the players can "earn" the title instead of automaticly logging in and gaining a level (and eventually admiral) for flying 30 mins away from base or scanning 5 petrified remains of dog TRIBBLE. Make it something that isn't so easily attainable in a "casual" sense.

EXACTLY. This makes the most sense. Being an admiral should come with a measure of additional mangement responsibilities and such. They should also bring back all the traditional ranks, including the Rank of Commodore.
    edited March 2010
    .......They should also bring back all the traditional ranks, including the Rank of Commodore.

if they do....

I am soooo changing my name to SixtyFour.....

edited March 2010
    Also, does it bother anyone else you have to speak to a Captain everytime you want to undock from Sol Space Dock? I mean, he's basically a Space Traffic Controller right? Why are we paying him a Captain's salary to do that??? I think there should be a fraud, waste and abuse inquiry in to this situation! ;)
    edited March 2010
    EXACTLY. This makes the most sense. Being an admiral should come with a measure of additional mangement responsibilities and such. They should also bring back all the traditional ranks, including the Rank of Commodore.
    Commodore's also command fleets of ships, so its really no better than Admiral.

I think they should just move every rank up on and use Lieutenant JG for levels Tutorial to 10.

LTJG can command minor ships, and tier one ships are minor.
    edited March 2010
    I suspect maybe a level nerf, but it isn't really necessary.

With enough content to support it, I don't see why Captain couldn't be 20 grades, Rear Admiral 30 grades, Vice Admiral 40 grades, Admiral 50 grades, and Fleet Admiral 60 grades.

They just need to decide on exactly how high the ladder goes, and have enough content (or sandbox elements) to cover it.
    edited March 2010
    sorry thier are to many admirals its working as intended.

on a serious note everyone can be an admiral in this game and in star trek if they work hard enough though I think they should have ended it at captain instead no player admirals.
    edited March 2010
    In a sense having so many high ranks gives the, "to many chiefs not enough indians" aspect. I know this is just a game, but i just feel it waters down the importance of bein an admiral when you have so many.However, being a RA is like being a 1 star general, you still have alot of brass to kiss, I personally think it would have been wiser to level up 1-10 as ensign and have the top rank be captain.

I agree ...and I wouldn't argue if they decided to do a roll back and demote everyone either.
    edited March 2010
    well I think admiral should still be tthere but less accesibly.

How would you do that though? I mean in such a way that you aren't automatically discriminating against the casual player.

I get that Admiral is probably the wrong rank for the top tier. Star Ship captains should not be admirals as a rule. IMHO.

But now that they have the rank, I think it would be horrible to make it so that only people who play hundreds of hours per week can become admirals. Everyone is paying the same price to play the game, they should all be allowed to get to the same content with modest effort.
    edited March 2010
    I'd actually pay extra for a C-Store function that just relabeled the ranks on my screen out to being:

∙ (00-00) Ensign
    ∙ (01-10) Lieutenant Jr. Grade
    ∙ (11-20) Lieutenant
    ∙ (21-30) Lieutenant Commander
    ∙ (31-40) Commander
    ∙ (40-45) Captain
    edited March 2010
    USSWasabi wrote:
    I'd actually pay extra for a C-Store function that just relabeled the ranks on my screen out to being:

∙ (00-00) Ensign
    ∙ (01-10) Lieutenant Jr. Grade
    ∙ (11-20) Lieutenant
    ∙ (21-30) Lieutenant Commander
    ∙ (31-40) Commander
    ∙ (40-45) Captain

Agreed! I would pay real world dollars for this.
    edited March 2010
    Don't you think that there is too many Admiral?
    beside Admiral in ST stay behind desk.
    I think from captain to admiral it should be a lil more tougher.

the fact that we at war and there is a lot of captain that's fine but admiral???

*cough* there is only 1% of us at admiral.......apparently o.0
    edited March 2010
    Commodore's also command fleets of ships, so its really no better than Admiral.

I think they should just move every rank up on and use Lieutenant JG for levels Tutorial to 10.

LTJG can command minor ships, and tier one ships are minor.

Nah, I still want the commodore rank back, they can find a special used for it. They can adjust what a Commodore does or assign special duties to the rank. It's totally doable, I want to see it come back.
    edited March 2010
    It would be really cool to attain "Epic" levels or whatever through something other than just grinding out levels. I like that idea a lot. Maybe even have different titles/specializations (diplomacy for example, hint hint) for the levels, depending on what achievements were needed to make that "level." That way there could be variety, and balance, without everyone just "grinding up to" admiral...
    edited March 2010
    Nah, I still want the commodore rank back, they can find a special used for it. They can adjust what a Commodore does or assign special duties to the rank. It's totally doable, I want to see it come back.

**IMO**

Commodore - Should be a special rank given to the group leaders of the Fleet Actions. Commodores could be given special abilities or tasks during these Fleet Actions.

Admiral - Should be a special rank given during certain PvP maps. Each side needs to protect their current "Admiral" or "Flagship" from being captured or killed. Special abilities or tasks could also be given to the admirals.
    edited March 2010
    USSWasabi wrote:
    **IMO**
    Commodore - Should be a special rank given to the group leaders of the Fleet Actions. Commodores could be given special abilities or tasks during these Fleet Actions.

Admiral - Shoudl be a special rank given during certain PvP maps. Each side needs to protect their current "Admiral" or "Flagship" from being captured or killed. Special abilities or tasks could also be given to the admirals.

There you go.
    edited March 2010
    Wraiven wrote: »
    Cryptic is not known for raising level caps unless it was intended from the start. City of Heroes cap level was 50 for 5 years....and still is.

The level cap in COH used to be 40.
    edited March 2010
    well they can correct it but leaving the skill piont and ship you have but just re arrange the ranking system. the fact that there is a lot of captain is fine be side in the St universe i can't think of any admiral going to war even in the dominion war or am I misteking???
    edited March 2010
    well they can correct it but leaving the skill piont and ship you have but just re arrange the ranking system. the fact that there is a lot of captain is fine be side in the St universe i can't think of any admiral going to war even in the dominion war or am I misteking???

Although it's not common, Admirals will command from his flagship during important engagements. But it is highly unlikely you would find one running around some backwater planet with an away team.

To your first point.. They could change the ranks up easily by using that Ltjg rank they already have.
    edited March 2010
    beside too many admiral there isn't many ship to choose from as they unlock them one by one at a slow rate
    edited March 2010
    beside too many admiral there is many ship to choose from as they unlock them one by one at a slow rate

Not exactly true.

Each rank has three ships to choose from and someone flying in a ship of lesser rank than themselves is lowering thier overall effectivness.
    edited March 2010
    I'd like to be a Commodore, like Matt Decker.
    edited March 2010
    USSWasabi wrote:
    Not exactly true.

Each rank has three ships to choose from and someone flying in a ship of lesser rank than themselves is lowering thier overall effectivness.
    sorry I myspel I meant isn't
    edited March 2010
    Blubaa wrote:
    Psssst. You are no flag-officer. "Admiral" is just a shiny name for level nr. xyz...

*facepalm*

Of course I know that. That's why I'm annoyed Admiral is used in the first place!
    edited March 2010

About one per numbered fleet, and the Admiral leading the fleet Sisko worked most closely with was a Rear (I forget if lower or upper half).
    edited March 2010
    wrote:
    About one per numbered fleet, and the Admiral leading the fleet Sisko worked most closely with was a Rear (I forget if lower or upper half).
    please try to find what episode was it