test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

nerdrage and hyperbole

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hi, I've used this forum from time to time just for little tips on bridge officer skills etc. I don't understand how or why there are so many users who just seem to pour vitriol and TRIBBLE over the developers of this game? It's just a game.... Why are people so obsessed with it and have this sense of entitlement about it? It's just a game that if u like you subscribe to and if you don't you don't.

How do you all get the time for all this? Do you not have jobs, girlfriends, family responsibilities etc? I'm really not trying to be nasty, it just all seems a bit strange.

Anyway, enjoying the game and when I get a free hour or so I'm playing it. For the sake of only £15 a month, I'll subscribe for a long time for the occasional evening of fun.

If u want to attack me, feel free to. Just if it takes a minute of ur time though to think, wait a sec, what am i doing with my life, this is all a bit sad, it'll be worth my post.

Regards and best wishes to you all
Ian

yeah, ive been thinking about posting something similar.

i dont get it, either. STO is a newborn MMO, just a month old (today!) They've made massive improvements on the server stability (its been weeks since ive crashed or seen a queue), fixing bugs (the only ones left are the BIG ones; the ones that take planning, time and testing to eliminate) and have even added some end-game content.

what *I* see is a fledgling MMO that is off to a very fast start. All of the complaints ive thought about sharing have already been addressed by the Devs (even if they have not been fixed yet). Content is coming. Community-requested 'quality of life' changes have ALREADY happened (auto-fire for ground combat, for instance) and more are on the way.

When i see someone on here, talking about absolutely hyperbolic retribution against Atari, Cryptic or even fellow players, such as legal action, calling the Devs names, declaring the game a failure, directly insulting anyone and everyone involved with the game, etc, all i can think of is some spoiled, pimple-faced 14 year old spitting and sputtering and stamping his little feet because he's not getting his way. he can cry and moan about how everyone else is a failure, but he has never created or contributed anything himself.

If you dont like what you're served at a restaurant, that you ordered, why would you yell derision and profanities at the wait-staff as you continue to shovel the food into your mouth?
"GAH! *munch, snarf* this is TERRIBLE! you people *smack, chomp* DISGUST me with how AWFUL this food is! *chew, swallow* you're the biggest bunch of idiots in the entire world! *masticate, salivate* I should SUE you because you're FORCING me to eat this POISON!"
seriously? if you dont like the game, go play something else. its not a big deal. its really not.

Im enjoying the game. I 'get it'. The space combat is beautiful and engaging. The ground combat is a bit plodding, in my opinion, but that is exactly the sort of thing that gets tweaked and balanced over time in an MMO. The crafting is obviously slapdash, but again, that is the sort thing that takes time to implement. The framework for an excellent game is here. The fleshing out takes time and good feedback.

Do i think Cyrptic is nothing but a bunch of crooks and swindlers trying to do nothing more than separate me from my money? no, of course not. They're video game developers who care about their product and the Star Trek universe, but who are, unfortunately, working for a large corporation.

I admit, early in Beta i was VERY skeptical and down on STO and Cryptic. it took about 2 big patches of them fixing things before i changed my mind. But, change it they did. The game is constantly improving... and THAT is the hallmark of a MMO.

Still, the greatest flaw i think with STO is the concept of a 12-24 month development cycle for a modern MMO. Its just not enough time, in my opinion, to make it fleshed out enough to complete with other contemporary MMO's that are already established. Cryptic, in my opinion, is having to play 'catch up'... but they're doing it rather well.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Short answer: Haters gonna hate.

Long answer: You're giving the trolls a headache by posting so many words that they have to read to pick out a key passage to harp on. In this case, I'll help them by saying 4th paragraph from the bottom. Second sentence. Go.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No offense or flame intended but I believe the title of this thread applies to your post as well. Hyperbole and nerd rage are not unique to those who "protest to much".
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I would say it depends, if the people who are mad and angry are mad because they are passionate about the game and want the game too succeed. That is one thing.

If they are just complaining to complain that's another.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No offense or flame intended but I believe the title of this thread applies to your post as well. Hyperbole and nerd rage are not unique to those who "protest to much".

well, if im 'nerdrageing' or being hyperbolic, i would like to know how or in what way... it certainly wasn't my intent to come off that way.

I've been a nerd (of all kinds) all my life but ive never understood the vitriol or hate that some let fester (cultivate?) in themselves. being a nerd shoudl be about enjoying nerdy things. not hating them or each other!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    Long answer: You're giving the trolls a headache by posting so many words that they have to read to pick out a key passage to harp on. In this case, I'll help them by saying 4th paragraph from the bottom. Second sentence. Go.

Oh thank you. Much easier. *scans*
    Moloth wrote: »
    I 'get it'.

How dare you!!!1!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You mistake passion for hate. The rest would be your nerdrage and hyperbole.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    I would say it depends, if the people who are mad and angry are mad because they are passionate about the game and want the game too succeed. That is one thing.

If they are just complaining to complain that's another.

The players that have gripes and state the reasons for them not wanting to continue playing or what we can do to improve the game are fine and constructive.

More times than not, people that nerd rage and 'Quit" keep coming back to the forums to cause grief and misery. Spreading all the doom and gloom they can. It has upset myself seeing how these forums become. Most of them aren't giving constuctive critism for the game to improve, but indeed just slander the game and anyone not agreeing with their Point-of-view.

OP I feel your pain, but going to wait till either the players are forced to re-sub or quit. I truely hope the immature, non-constructive vile posts end.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You will always complain about something.

Just like every other MMO. Champions Online included.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There is actually starting to be an understanding of forum posting. First, you must understand the forum as we know it is not a representative body of players. In fact, up to half of the posters on a general, open to the public forum, do not have accounts in the game. This was first noticed as WoW posters began to talk about active "campaigns" to flame the forum of other games. It is now universal that forum crawlers form possees to go after competing games, and spend an incredible amount of personal time, and have an amazing sense of mission in their posting frequency. The following discussion is not of players who want to make changes in the game, but of the different sort who is only posting as an expression of hate. Call them haters, or whatever (we have no good neutral word for them yet, but one will get coined eventually)

While it generally takes 6 months or even a year to have a significant fan based "opposition" arise, the haters show up even before the game goes live. There were several thousand posters complaining that Vanguard: Saga of Heroes sucked before it was even possible to know if it did or not.

The psychological profile of the hater is pretty complex, and there is not enough research to truly understand them. In ordinary life, the average person avoids things they find unpleasant, is attracting to things they find pleasurable. You rarely see people who hate golf hanging out at a golfing tourney and chatting up fans of the game in an attempt to disrupt the conversation flow of these people (the definition of a hater). You do, very rarely, see people gather in opposition to some situation based on the theory of bully or mob dislike. For example, a group of bullies who do not like competitive dance showing up to disrupt a practice. The question to be answered is: does the psychological understanding of hate in this regard have anything to do with online hate. This would link it in a sociological sense to bigotry.

I suspect it is not that easy, and that we will discover over the years that what you have is a safe hate zone. It is harder to express hate in public for the average person because they have to look the person they are hating in the face. It also takes more time and effort to truly hate something, and to put an effort to disrupt others in their positive or negative discussions of the thing.

Hate posting is not restricted to gaming. Go to any heavy metal discussion website and post a reasonable short essay on the music of a group and stand back. These websites are almost impossible to use for communication by fans because haters spend hours tracking the sites.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You will always complain about something.

Just like every other MMO. Champions Online included.

Q's back.

Sweet. Now I can read your posts correctly again. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Add paranoia to the list.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wow, a capture of a rare real casual player on the forums. :)

The captured post is the real majority of players playing WoW and STO, they pay $15 a month for their couple hours a week, where a typical forum dweller, thinks casual play is a couple hours a day, and they still pay $15 a month.

The money is in the true casual players, MMORPGs focused on the hard core players just do not make financial sense, especially for an expensive IP like Star Trek. The hard core will have games like EVE and the Korean style grinds, but very unlikely a big name IP.

In some ways I am sad, I will get to be a hard core gamer again when I retire (soon hopefully) and will be looking for more hard core game (strategy, not twitch) MMORPG. When I will have the time to play. But for now, job gets most of my time, I at best I can be a forum level casual player (couple hours a day).

I have lifetime here and LOTRO, both I fully expect to enjoy for years, even after they passed being my main games. Also enjoy DDO now that is F2P, and enjoy GW from time to time. All with no addtional money out of my pocket.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    FYI Cryptic has supplied a video game with your forum subscriptions.

Just an FYI ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    not hating them or each other!

Your post is doing nothing but "hating on" the people you view as "nerds". You insult people, then tell them not to get mad.

(Edit to remove: Insult (I am only human.))
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Just an FYI ;)

Unfortunately, my place of work frowns on the sounds of phaser fire coming from someone who's arguable doing database programing at any given moment. Mostly because databases don't fire phasers normally.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Just an FYI ;)

Yes its true. Yet for some reason its much easier for your bosses to catch you using one of them at work...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    Unfortunately, my place of work frowns on the sounds of phaser fire coming from someone who's arguable doing database programing at any given moment. Mostly because databases don't fire phasers normally.

I would hate to see the ones that do.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You mistake passion for hate. The rest would be your nerdrage and hyperbole.

im not talking about passion.. pasison is FINE. its the hate... if you're looking for an example of 'hate', how abouit this?

This person, who posted this to these forums, who im not naming, SAYS that they're filing a "consumer fraud complaint" against Cryptic.
    I just finished filing my consumer fraud complaint against cryptic for false advertisment, decptive practices with my states Attorney General's office and also filed my charge back on the game through my bank (who said I will get my money back) so it looks like no monthly for me I'll also be getting my intial 60 bucks back also, So as this will be my last day ever posting on these forums, to those of you who have stood up against them on the lack of insight with marketing choices, content, lack of depth behind the game and a laundry list of other issues within the game GL to you an your endevors in life/gaming. To you fans who are staying with the game I do truely wish you he best of luck with the game an maybe they will turn it around but if recent practices continue I don't see it either way good luck enjoy.

or, the post i just flagged for trolling who went on and on about how we're all idiots for 'eating the TRIBBLE that Cryptic has tried to sell us as a game. This game is nothing but a giant TRIBBLE and they should be ashamed of their pathetic attempt at making a Star Trek game. I hope you idiots enjoy eating Crytic's TRIBBLE."

i dont think one can really deny the nerdrage or the hyperbole on these forums...
  • Options
    edited March 2010

i dont think one can really deny the nerdrage or the hyperbole on these forums...

I can, because those are judgmental calls and you know no one but yourself. IE you can judge no one but yourself, so unless you are doing those things I would keep my fingers shut.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wow, a capture of a rare real casual player on the forums. :)

The captured post is the real majority of players playing WoW and STO, they pay $15 a month for their couple hours a week, where a typical forum dweller, thinks casual play is a couple hours a day, and they still pay $15 a month.

The money is in the true casual players, MMORPGs focused on the hard core players just do not make financial sense, especially for an expensive IP like Star Trek. The hard core will have games like EVE and the Korean style grinds, but very unlikely a big name IP.

In some ways I am sad, I will get to be a hard core gamer again when I retire (soon hopefully) and will be looking for more hard core game (strategy, not twitch) MMORPG. When I will have the time to play. But for now, job gets most of my time, I at best I can be a forum level casual player (couple hours a day).

I have lifetime here and LOTRO, both I fully expect to enjoy for years, even after they passed being my main games. Also enjoy DDO now that is F2P, and enjoy GW from time to time. All with no addtional money out of my pocket.

im not SO casual.. lol. I have a RA3 and im now working on my alt. :)
    in other words, "gee, there;s not much end-game content? guess i'll level up in the other faction or try another class/ship combo!" .. instead of screaming on the forums about how Cryptic ruined my life.. lol.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Honestly if these things bother someone, or they just cant ignore threads they dislike on their own, there is a built in tool used to ignore posters whom you feel are hyperbolic, nerdrage , or whatever else that you find is not suitable for yourself. I agree that somethings just get out of hand, hell I think we have all been guilty of it at some point, but my point would be I would just use the tools that are given to you to personalize your forum experience as best as possible. Report those you feel are abusive or violate the ToS for the forums and dont stress over it. I would much rather have the MODS deal with what is "Right" or "Wrong" for the forum that to see the community start to try to censor itself, it never works out well :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:

Ok, YOU get a hall pass. The rest go enjoy the game! :p Naw do what you want, we know there's a good game there.

Cryptic release it early on purpose, who cares about why it was done.

You should be mature enough to know there will be hell to pay for that, many people are disatisfied with the game so the forums will be a mess.

I am not exactly a happy camper, but I still want to see Star Trek Online succeed and become the best it can be for you guys. In my opinion this will take years and by that time the next best thing will be out. This also is part of the tension on the forums I believe.

Bottom line the game was released early, we have to weather this storm that Cryptic created one way or another.

Remember to be nice to your neighbors and enjoy your hall pass ;) And get some work done lol :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Your post is doing nothing but "hating on" the people you view as "nerds". You insult people, then tell them not to get mad.

(Edit to remove: Insult (I am only human.))

um.. i also state how much of nerd *I* am!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Battleunit wrote: »
    There is actually starting to be an understanding of forum posting. First, you must understand the forum as we know it is not a representative body of players. In fact, up to half of the posters on a general, open to the public forum, do not have accounts in the game. This was first noticed as WoW posters began to talk about active "campaigns" to flame the forum of other games. It is now universal that forum crawlers form possees to go after competing games, and spend an incredible amount of personal time, and have an amazing sense of mission in their posting frequency. The following discussion is not of players who want to make changes in the game, but of the different sort who is only posting as an expression of hate. Call them haters, or whatever (we have no good neutral word for them yet, but one will get coined eventually)

While it generally takes 6 months or even a year to have a significant fan based "opposition" arise, the haters show up even before the game goes live. There were several thousand posters complaining that Vanguard: Saga of Heroes sucked before it was even possible to know if it did or not.

The psychological profile of the hater is pretty complex, and there is not enough research to truly understand them. In ordinary life, the average person avoids things they find unpleasant, is attracting to things they find pleasurable. You rarely see people who hate golf hanging out at a golfing tourney and chatting up fans of the game in an attempt to disrupt the conversation flow of these people (the definition of a hater). You do, very rarely, see people gather in opposition to some situation based on the theory of bully or mob dislike. For example, a group of bullies who do not like competitive dance showing up to disrupt a practice. The question to be answered is: does the psychological understanding of hate in this regard have anything to do with online hate. This would link it in a sociological sense to bigotry.

I suspect it is not that easy, and that we will discover over the years that what you have is a safe hate zone. It is harder to express hate in public for the average person because they have to look the person they are hating in the face. It also takes more time and effort to truly hate something, and to put an effort to disrupt others in their positive or negative discussions of the thing.

Hate posting is not restricted to gaming. Go to any heavy metal discussion website and post a reasonable short essay on the music of a group and stand back. These websites are almost impossible to use for communication by fans because haters spend hours tracking the sites.

i like you.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bottom line the game was released early, we have to weather this storm that Cryptic created one way or another.

Remember to be nice to your neighbors and enjoy your hall pass ;) And get some work done lol :p

well said.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:

I lol'd!

What a crappy job :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Good post OP , you will find this phenomenon across the Internet as I am sure you know, it makes constructive conversions almost imposable , theres nothing that can be done about it thats the sad part .
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Honestly if these things bother someone, or they just cant ignore threads they dislike on their own, there is a built in tool used to ignore posters whom you feel are hyperbolic, nerdrage , or whatever else that you find is not suitable for yourself. I agree that somethings just get out of hand, hell I think we have all been guilty of it at some point, but my point would be I would just use the tools that are given to you to personalize your forum experience as best as possible. Report those you feel are abusive or violate the ToS for the forums and dont stress over it. I would much rather have the MODS deal with what is "Right" or "Wrong" for the forum that to see the community start to try to censor itself, it never works out well :p

but if i did that, you wouldnt be posting in my thread. :(

i guess i just wanted to see a few of the reasonable people post... to see a few people that are actually constructive and not destructive.

my desire has been fulfilled. :)

also, the forums change drastically once you get away from the 'common' areas into the specific areas... the class/ship forums are BRIMMING with very smart, very insightful resources of information and theorycraft. maybe i just need to stay away from the 'General' forums.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Probably because everyone thinks the game should be designed the way they want it designed... me included. :rolleyes:

I expected a Star Trek MMO, not a Star Trek combat simulator with a attached First Person Shooter using bots (Solo PVE) or no bots (group PVE and PVP).

But at least that First Person Shooter is fun. Honesly I don't need space combat, I am enjoying ground combat and that is the way I like it. :D

If they won't make a real MMO, at least i can play a semi-real FPS. :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:

I actually have playing video games on my work load form. Sadly, not this one.