test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mystery Ship

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Ten Forward
Hello,

In the film Star Trek: First Contact when the USS Enterprise and the remaining fleet fire upon the Borg cube. There's one ship in particular which I have not been able to identify. I have looked at the Battle of Sector 001 page on Memory Alpha but I couldn't find out much. It does list one ship whose name is 'unknown' and another ship whose class is unknown. Here's some pictures of the mystery ship:

battleofsector001.jpg

battleofsector001a.jpg

Here's an amusing image for those that didn't know visual effects supervisor John Knoll at ILM had surreptitiously included the Millennium Falcon in this battle:

Akira_and_Millennium_Falcon.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    that is a steamrunner my good man.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes, 100% sure it is a steamrunner. They had them in Star Trek Armada I & II
  • Options
    edited February 2010

That was my guess.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Steamrunner_class
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually, in first contact you do see it much closer then those shots you put up. I believe as the enterprise is about to shoot quantum torpedo's and is moving towards the cube and then fires, the steamrunner thats in that shot comes behind it and fires a few shots as well...if memory serves me correctly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hello,

In the film Star Trek: First Contact when the USS Enterprise and the remaining fleet fire upon the Borg cube. There's one ship in particular which I have not been able to identify. I have looked at the Battle of Sector 001 page on Memory Alpha but I couldn't find out much. It does list one ship whose name is 'unknown' and another ship whose class is unknown. Here's some pictures of the mystery ship:

battleofsector001.jpg

battleofsector001a.jpg

Here's an amusing image for those that didn't know visual effects supervisor John Knoll at ILM had surreptitiously included the Millennium Falcon in this battle:

The name on the CGI model of the Steamrunner in Question is USS Appalachia
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here, did a quick scan on the net and u can clearly see it here. This is a shot just after the enterprise fires on the cube and then the ships behind enterprise opening up on the cube. The steamrunner is next to the akira :)

http://www.trekmania.net/the_fleet/utopia/screencap_analyses4.htm

shots 10 and 11
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here, did a quick scan on the net and u can clearly see it here. This is a shot just after the enterprise fires on the cube and then the ships behind enterprise opening up on the cube. The steamrunner is next to the akira :)

click

The site that the image is hosted at is blocking the link to the image.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ^Denied!

tenmightychars in a tsunami of juice
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    blasted..fixed now
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I was commanding officer of that vessel. I was lucky to escape with my life.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thank you gentlemen and in particular xXLocutusXx. I of course am familiar with the Steamrunner-class but I could never discern the shape of the ship which I queried. The Trekmania site provided very good scene-by-scene analysis of the battle and gives a clear account of where the ships were in the battle.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thank you gentlemen and in particular xXLocutusXx. I of course am familiar with the Steamrunner-class but I could never discern the shape of the ship which I queried. The Trekmania site provided very good scene-by-scene analysis of the battle and gives a clear account of where the ships were in the battle.

USS APPALACHIA!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    USS APPALACHIA!

Stand down, yellow alert. I meant I could never discern the shaoe (and still can't) of the ship as it's quite a way back in the background.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    rwl1919 wrote: »
    I was commanding officer of that vessel. I was lucky to escape with my life.

IIII if you dont recall cpt, I was your engineer we both made it out with are heads still in tact : )

btw..Mach2Infinity, np. Dont mind helping out others with their questions so no worries.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Which Star Trek Movie/Scene has R2D2 on it and one that has the Millenium Falcon?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    darkAthena wrote: »
    Which Star Trek Movie/Scene has R2D2 on it and one that has the Millenium Falcon?
    Star Trek 2009(warp to Vulcan) and First Contact(battle with the cube).
    In that order.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Chat wrote:
    Star Trek 2009(warp to Vulcan) and First Contact(battle with the cube).
    In that order.

Correct. ILM is notorious for sticking Star Wars items in their non star wars movies....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the third picture did look like to have the falcon from Star Wars
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Where is Obi Wan?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the third picture did look like to have the falcon from Star Wars

It does, because it is.

The VFX Department at ILM has confirmed it. They think it's funny to stick their patron's stuff in many of the movies they work on....especially Star Trek movies....They make them more apparent in them. heheh
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Chat is feeling generous... So here is R2D2 in the new movie.
    Bet you expected an evil laugh here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    darkAthena wrote: »

As I said here:

There you are :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wrote:
    Hello,

battleofsector001.jpg

battleofsector001a.jpg

To answer you ? on what ship that is it is called the steamrunner class if you want more info on it get Armada or Armada 2 or Google it is a long range attack vessle that fires a Torpeedo (The actual name of Torp Iludes me at this time...Not enough coffee yet) that does a massive area effect on targets.