test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Earth Space Dock and the Moon

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Ten Forward
Ya so got bored and did a little sightseeing thru sol system. I saw the moon and did a full orbit and I didn't see any alien bases on the darkside. Repeat: NO alien bases on the dark side of the moon.

Is this a bug? or was it intended?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I forget precisely how many people live on the moon in the 24th/25th century (Riker says something about it on the Phoenix in First Contact), but it's in the millions, so the aliens probably didn't stand a chance once we got a foothold.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, the moon rotates, so eventually that means there will be no bases on the light side. ;) It may be tidally locked with the Earth, but it's still spinning.

[edit]
    In the real that is... I don't think celestial bodies in STO do any revolving or orbiting, but then again it's not something overly important. hehehe
    [/edit]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think the moon is supposed to be terraformed, i remember riker saying something about a Lake Armstrong on the moon.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SpaceFork wrote:
    I think the moon is supposed to be terraformed, i remember riker saying something about a Lake Armstrong on the moon.

I also remember something about a statue to my magnificence.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SpaceFork wrote:

I am trying to think if they ever showed the moon. Cause it might be, or the lake was in a giant bio domes. Something good to research. :)

If it were reality, it would be impossible to terraform the moon due to its low gravity. There's just not enough mass to hold an atmosphere that's more than a few inches thick.

I know Star Trek doesn't follow reality all of the time, and I'm okay with that. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ravenstein wrote: »
    I also remember something about a statue to my magnificence.

Not so much 'statue' as 'burning effigy', and not so much 'to your magnificence' as 'to appease your wrath'.

Also, never seen a picture of you, but I always pictured you as decked in full military fatigues, wearing a balaclava and an AK strapped to your back. Pretty epic burning effigy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I believe it was supposed to be 5 million people on the moon.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also it's entirely possible they just put the moon in a giant bubble and terraformed it. Since the moon cannot hold it's own atmosphere doesn't mean you can't force it to have one. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I decided to go on a little adventure "Boldly Going Where Man Has Gone Before." So I took my Tier One ship for a quick flight around Sol, and this is what I found.

I've come to the conclusion, "That's a target I've got the Arizona pointed at." And tried to fly into it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    JT26thES wrote:
    Well, the moon rotates, so eventually that means there will be no bases on the light side. ;) It may be tidally locked with the Earth, but it's still spinning.

Actually, the moon rotates at the exact same rate that it circles Earth, so we always see the same side. In fact, it's believed that the Earth has never seen the other side of the moon.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sintar07 wrote: »
    Actually, the moon rotates at the exact same rate that it circles Earth, so we always see the same side. In fact, it's believed that the Earth has never seen the other side of the moon.

Oh I know but failed to write it out. As for seeing the other side, it probably had back when both were molten - after the big collision (which is the general accepted theory to explain how the moon came to be). I imagine it took a few million years for Earth's tidal drag on the moon to slow its rotation down enough to it's current 1:1 rotation rate.

Did you know: the moon is actually revolving (orbiting) away from the Earth? I don't have the exact numbers handy but I think it was somewhere along the lines of inches per year. Eventually the moon will lose it's attraction to Earth (or vice-versa). Unfortunately before that will ever come to fruition the sun will swell up in its red giant phase and engulf the Earth (well, Earth's orbit, some astronomers believe that this might push the Earth out in the process) before dying into a white dwarf. ;)

I know about black holes too, sorta. I'm asking an astronomer something that I never understood. I'll save Ten Forward from peering too deeply into my chaotic thoughts. :p A hint has to do with re-arranging: e = mc^2 to m = c^2/e with algebra, but it ramps up from there.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SpaceFork wrote:

Mars was terraformed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I decided to go on a little adventure "Boldly Going Where Man Has Gone Before." So I took my Tier One ship for a quick flight around Sol, and this is what I found.

I've come to the conclusion, "That's a target I've got the Arizona pointed at." And tried to fly into it.

I think those are cities.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cdat88 wrote: »
    I believe it was supposed to be 5 million people on the moon.

The moon ("Luna") has over 50 million people living on its surface in the 24th Century (source: Star Trek First Contact, DS9 "Valiant"). Memory Alpha extrapolates that no terraforming has been done on Luna, and instead that the lake must exist within an enclosed dome (DS9 "Valiant").
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It would be correct to state the Moon has been colonised rather than terraformed in the Star Trek universe. It would be a waste of resources to try and create a sustainable atmosphere on our Luna. I read on Memory Alpha that the Federation has begun to terraform Venus. Despite its proximity to the Sun it's only a few hundred kilometres less in diameter than the Earth. So its gravity is lighter than the Earth's but not so much that a little added 'spin' couldn't correct. On the other hand its pressure and heat is much higher than that of the Earth. Simply due to the advanced 'green house effect' on Venus. The Sun's rays penetrate the thick cloud layer but then the heat is trapped. In addition its atmosphere is at least made 90% of carbion dioxide. I believe mankind will eventually attempt to terraform the planet. We seem to challenge ourselves with near impossible goals but then life would be boring without such endeavour.

Addendum - Wikipedia terraforming article
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    why the hell would people even think of trying to live on the moon when we can't even live on this planet lol

that is why it's in star trek not in RL, fun to imagine
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Diligent wrote:
    Ya so got bored and did a little sightseeing thru sol system. I saw the moon and did a full orbit and I didn't see any alien bases on the darkside. Repeat: NO alien bases on the dark side of the moon.

HELLO! Duh, they are cloaked.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    why the hell would people even think of trying to live on the moon when we can't even live on this planet lol

that is why it's in star trek not in RL, fun to imagine

Well we're certainly not ready to explore space in earnest given our primitive space propulsion technology and political/economic strife on Earth. However, it's important we do look out into space and continue mapping the surface of other planets and moons/planetoids. To gather as much information as possible on our nearest astronimcal phenomena. The reason being that as Star Trek succinctly put it; "space, the final frontier". It's inevitable that humans will eventually seek to colonise others worlds. Unless some major catastrophe or a series of them are inflicted upon us. Our global population will continue to grow. Population displacement is one good reason for looking elsewhere to live. Furthermore there are minerals in space in which we can harvest. Such as metals on various asteroids. We could even snatch a comet or two and use them as a water supply. When the times comes to begin manned missions to other planets. What's better than to have a map at hand and be familiar with a planet's terrain before you've even placed a foot on it! This is the one big advantage that future space explorers will have over pioneers such as Cort
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well we're certainly not ready to explore space in earnest given our primitive space propulsion technology and political/economic strife on Earth. However, it's important we do look out into space and continue mapping the surface of other planets and moons/planetoids. To gather as much information as possible on our nearest astronimcal phenomena. The reason being that as Star Trek succinctly put it; "space, the final frontier". It's inevitable that humans will eventually seek to colonise others worlds. Unless some major catastrophe or a series of them are inflicted upon us. Our global population will continue to grow. Population displacement is one good reason for looking elsewhere to live. Furthermore there are minerals in space in which we can harvest. Such as metals on various asteroids. We could even snatch a comet or two and use them as a water supply. When the times comes to begin manned missions to other planets. What's better than to have a map at hand and be familiar with a planet's terrain before you've even placed a foot on it! This is the one big advantage that future space explorers will have over pioneers such as Cort
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wow ya thats really well put .. also a reason i liked enterprise because they didn't really have the prime directive but they started to realize that they should be considerate with other species.

I think one theme Star Trek has is that as a species advances both technologically (and therefore scientifically) and culturally. It evolves, including developing a more civilised 'civilisation' on the whole. I think whilst we are far from being saintly we have improved somewhat over the course of history and I would like to think that mankind will find greater enlightenment in the stars. Perhaps our intended future exploration of space will help to usher peace but let's not hold our breath. It's a shame the U.N doesn't hold a general assembly in space. If all the world's leaders could view the Earth from space and marvel at its beauty and complexity. Then they'd release the futility of conflict amongst themselves. Having said so, even Gene Roddenberry recognised that mankind needed to experience some sort of monumental upheaval before learning such a lesson. His interpretation was World War III.

On a final note. It's interesting to see why so many people enjoy playing MMORPGs, in particular Star Trek: Online. Yes there's the PvP element but I think most enjoy working together and being a small (but contributory) part of a greater whole. Humans have achieved much more when they work together than by dividing themselves into small groups. If you look back through history, yes man has inflicted pain and death on their fellow man but man has also worked together and co-operated to a large extent. It makes you think whether it's really a case of survival of the fittest or united?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It would be correct to state the Moon has been colonised rather than terraformed in the Star Trek universe. It would be a waste of resources to try and create a sustainable atmosphere on our Luna. I read on Memory Alpha that the Federation has begun to terraform Venus. Despite its proximity to the Sun it's only a few hundred kilometres less in diameter than the Earth. So its gravity is lighter than the Earth's but not so much that a little added 'spin' couldn't correct. On the other hand its pressure and heat is much higher than that of the Earth. Simply due to the advanced 'green house effect' on Venus. The Sun's rays penetrate the thick cloud layer but then the heat is trapped. In addition its atmosphere is at least made 90% of carbion dioxide. I believe mankind will eventually attempt to terraform the planet. We seem to challenge ourselves with near impossible goals but then life would be boring without such endeavour.

Addendum - Wikipedia terraforming article

Aerostat habitats and floating cities
    Geoffrey A. Landis has summarized the perceived difficulties in colonizing Venus as being merely from the assumption that a colony would need to be based on the surface of a planet:

"However, viewed in a different way, the problem with Venus is merely that the ground level is too far below the one atmosphere level. At cloud-top level, Venus is the paradise planet."
    He has proposed aerostat habitats followed by floating cities, based on the concept that breathable air (21:79 Oxygen-Nitrogen mixture) is a lifting gas in the dense Venusian atmosphere, with over 60% of the lifting power that helium has on Earth.[2] In effect, a balloon full of human-breathable air would sustain itself and extra weight (such as a colony) in midair. At an altitude of 50 km above Venusian surface, the environment is the most Earth-like in the solar system - a pressure of approximately 1 bar and temperatures in the 0°C-50°C range. Because there is not a significant pressure difference between the inside and the outside of the breathable-air balloon, any rips or tears would cause gases to diffuse at normal atmospheric mixing rates, giving time to repair any such damages. In addition, humans would not require pressurized suits when outside, merely air to breathe and a protection from the acidic rain. Alternatively, two-part domes could contain a lifting gas like hydrogen or helium (extractable from the atmosphere) to allow a higher mass density.

Cloud-top colonization also offers a way to avoid the issue of slow Venusian rotation. At the top of the clouds the wind speed on Venus reaches up to 95 m/s, circling the planet approximately every four Earth days in a phenomenon known as "super-rotation".[4] Colonies floating in this region could therefore have a much shorter day length by remaining untethered to the ground and moving with the atmosphere. While a space elevator extending to the surface of Venus is impractical due to the slow rotation, constructing a skyhook that extended into the upper atmosphere and rotated at the wind speed would not be difficult compared to constructing a space elevator on Earth.

Since such colonies would be viable in current Venusian conditions, this allows a dynamic approach to colonization instead of requiring extensive terraforming measures in advance. The main challenge would be using a substance resistant to sulfuric acid to serve as the structure's outer layer; ceramics or metal sulfates could possibly serve in this role. Dyneema, Polyethene and Polypropylene would be well usable for the skin of the balloon.

Landis has suggested that as more floating cities were built, they could form a solar shield around the planet, and could simultaneously be used to process the atmosphere into a more desirable form. If made from carbon nanotubes (recently fabricated into sheet form) or graphene (a sheet-like carbon allotrope), the major structural materials can be produced using carbon dioxide gathered in situ from the atmosphere. The recently synthesised amorphous carbonia might prove a useful structural material if it can be quenched to STP conditions, perhaps in a mixture with regular silica glass. According to Birch's analysis such colonies and materials would provide an immediate economic return from colonizing Venus, funding further terraforming efforts.

Landis' point about the ground level being too far below the one atmosphere level was also used by Larry Niven in his depiction of Plateau, a Venus-like planet with a small section of its surface rising up to the habitable level of the atmosphere. Similar setting is used in one of the early Poul Anderson novels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Venus
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    50 Million people live on the moon according to Riker in "First Contact"

This was brought up before, unsure if the dev's plan to correct this. Would be good to have the complete solar system in the one area also. getting tired of absolutely everything being instance based. No real solar system one is able to explore.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Enscar wrote: »
    50 Million people live on the moon according to Riker in "First Contact"

This was brought up before, unsure if the dev's plan to correct this. Would be good to have the complete solar system in the one area also. getting tired of absolutely everything being instance based. No real solar system one is able to explore.

They have already stated they are planing to flesh out the universe including the solar system. The game is still currently bare minimum.