test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

(Suggestions for Devs) Four or Five Interactive Rooms on your Ship(s)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
An OPTIONAL functional Bridge, a Briefing/Ready Room, a "Ten Forward" lounge, and a Crew Quarters (at least for yourself) would be nice, where you could place trophies, Tribbles, plaques, paintings, and of course, Romulan Ale for off duty hours (LoL!). A simple command would let other Captains come/beam to your ship, etc.. Four simple locations on your ship that would be awesome for Character interaction and really make the game complete. If Cryptic got even more inventive, a simple Holodeck with a few fun side-missions inside - a simple mystery, a dueling arena (Ambo-Jitsu), a midevil town/pub, something easy, would be terrific.

Regarding the Bridge itself, theoretically, you'd sit in the Center Seat (rooted until they could make options otherwise), and the Viewscreen could be rotated from tactical (your Mini Map), to normal view, or with a preferrable split-screen mode (one above and one below). Integrating a simple Zoom feature as well, with commands to view port, starboard, forward and aft would be helpful while in normal / split-screen view. When you start to take more than 50% hull damage, you'd see sparks flying from consoles, et al. When under attack, lighting goes red.

It would really be nice to see the Officers we train up at their stations doing their jobs - perhaps an alternate 'shift-view' to 'look' around your bridge. Just some simple ideas that would be so much better than just in a third-person view (exterior / arcade style) of your ship when in space. Having the option to go first-person while in-systems only would be a start. A Bank, Mail, and perhaps Starship inventory storage access interface(s) would be great (from your Center Seat Command Console of course), and such.

You are all doing a great job so far!

Side note (Spamming for a Fleet) I'm almost a Captain now, played in Beta, and am looking for a great Fleet to join, with a decent name and good mission objectives, who plays late nights (U.S. Mountain Time). Roleplayers would be preferrable, but good, fun Trekkies are simply a must. SPAM Spam spam spam...

Pauwehr@Pau'wehr_of_Efrosia
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I would really love real housing here with more space in your ship ... or well more than just bridge.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    looks like we had the same idea...you posted a bit earlier but it wasn't there when i started to write^^'
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=125147

I think this would be great, hope they'll implement that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'd love them to fix / rework the overwhelming number of real problems with the game before they start adding fluff items like social rooms. Maybe that's something for the 1+ year mark, but the devs are going to be very busy actually trying to do what they should have done during development and beta.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yea, I agree with you, Brick. Of course, they need to get the big cogs working before they can add more small ones, so to speak. :eek:

Timewise, I see it as a massive 6 month to 1 year project that's a ways out. Hopefully sooner. :(

My only disagreement is that implementing an 'overlay' of one of five interior bridge types (fifteen bridge overlays total for all the tiers of each faction - not too hard) on your computer screen, with your crew toons at their stations would be fairly easy to do. And just having a big viewscreen to "see" through from your viewpoint in the center seat, like we do now from the outside of the ship, would actually be a pretty simple option, and should be MADE optional, as some folks like the arcade style as it is. I would still switch to that option myself when dealing with swarms of ships at the same time for better/faster tactical control. Some of those battles get pretty BIG as it is, so it would be necessary for the Bridge POV option to be there. :)

The rest of the interface can actually stay as is it is for the most part, except your mini-map (radar) would/could take up a portion (say 1/4) of your interior viewscreen.

The option should only be used when in a planetary system, making it even more user friendly. Sector travel is still fun the way it is, like going from a strategic point of view (like moving an army's marker in a wargame), and then having the option to go inside your bridge in a tactical mode (deploy the troops and get down and dirty) once you're in system. And imagine the possibilities with actual BOARDING ACTIONS that finally reach your bridge... ^_^

The only hard part for the coders would be putting your individual crew toons in the right places doing their jobs on one of those fifteen or so bridge types. Still not too hard, since you can control each of them individually anyhow when in surface mode with waypoints, et al. When you get hit from the left side, everyone leans to the right, and smoke and sparks go flying. Would be SO cool.

I also agree with Lumirel - having those four or five places to go on your own ship when near a friendly starbase or after completing a mission would be nice. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    a wish and a prayer for realistically sized ship interiors.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Id like to see purchasable "holo Programs" from say Quarks bar or starfleet HQ, using energy credits, badges (especially low tier badges) and craftable ones. They could be training modules, R & R modules, combat sims, martial arts training, star ship design and the list could just go and on.

I would also like to see a "crafting area" where meds (buffs) could be made, basically a science area. Hell, science craft area on planet where one with the right know how could craft a fascimile of Data per se or other quality of life enhancements. Scientist and merchant could even be made into careers for some players.