test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A few things to consider <Sorry its LOOONG>

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Ok so with 6 days played the only reason I log on is to do my daily and try to que up for PvP.

But I am ok with this as I have faith that more content is comming, However I would like to suggest a few things for EVERYONE to consider for the welfare of this game, this community and the future of startrek online.

First off the BIG ONE.

Death penalty

Lets face it the game is just far too easy to level, and as it stands myself and a lot of other are FINE with this, But the lack of insentive to survive is well, there isnt one.

You are PENALIZED for surviving and REWARDED for dieing, Allow me to explain.

You go up against 3 ships kill them all but take heavy damage to your hull and your shields are gone, there's another target 20km away what do you do.

a) Wait 3 min to regen your hull and shields

b) Attack the target wear its shields down a bit die, and then respawn 15 seconds later and atack the target again that still has weakend shields.

90% of people will choose option b, WHY becasue its QUICKER.

The Following suggestions are INTENDED for ENDGAME instances and raids ONLY, maybe apply to endgame PvP aswell but that is up for discussion.

So My suggestion is thus, a Positive for surviving and a SMALL negative for Dieing.

The Positive.

Upon compleation of your mission you gain an extra 10% bonus to your energy credit reward. <1000 becomes 1100>

The Negitive

If you are unfortunate to die <Ship wise> you lose 10% of your crew depending on how many crew you have alive at the time <incapacitated crew count as alive>

So for example you have 1000 crew and die, you only get 900, if you die again you go down to 800.

This will mean that you will be able to die TEN times before you can no longer repair and have to be replenished.

Now how to get crew....

Return to a station or planet <small fee like 1000 credits>

OR

THere are abilities in the game that give you crew, I suggest that the crew gained from these abilities are PERMANENT but you CANNOT use these abilitiys on yourself to gain crew <other effects still happen>.

Also If by some chance someone dies they cannot instantly re spawn there ship is disabled while the rest of the team fights, if they are victorious then they can use some sort of ability to re-activate your ship, However if everyone is disabled then there ships self distruct <you get to see escape pods fly away> and you all re spawn at the last unlocked re spawn point with the enemy you were engaging returned to full health and any ships you destroyed re spawned.

This would mean a new ability given to sceince or engineering captains to re activate a disabled ship while out of combat, and possibly a similer ability for use in combat on a 15-20 min cooldown timer.

This should premote teamwork and give people the survivle instinct they need, weather this effects PvP or not I don't know, If it did then when you zone out of PvP you automaticaly gain all crew again. <to save you from having to go back home every 20min. this would give more teamplay in pvp and get people working as a team.

For the above to work something does have to be done about AI spawn camping in deep space encounters.

As for ground maybe a fatigue debuff that stacks 10 times, the debuff does nothing untill you hit 10 stacks at witch point you return to your ship and the mission is reset <all ground mobs are respawned>

This way if you fine a mission difficult you can just get someone else to warp in and help you. <more teamwork>

It is my belief that with something as simple as this in place, it will allow Cryptic to make encounters that are a challange and requier teamwork.

Other things that I consider needing tweeking.

Tri-cobolt torps.

They hit like a train, have a nice AoE take a FULL MIN to recharge and move like a snail.

Speed them up some please, a granny could target one and hit it with a walking stick there so slow.

Being able to transwarp from Sol to another system that has a transwarp gate <sol to Risa for instance>

Be able to set the station to transwarp to <like DS9, this would also allow us to transwarp to a fleet starbase when they are added.

Respec's <I have heard there comming>

Being able to claim a NEW SYSTEM for your fleet, Only one system per fleet and would allow us to build our fleet starbase. This could also be an open PvP system let me explain.

So a fleet has hold of a system and they built there starbase, But the Klingons or whatever decide they want it for whatever reason, Now for them to attack it They have to compleate a small chain of missions, To drive out the scientists and withdraw there fleet building operations <this is to save the defending fleet hard earned cash>

Systems can only be attacked on a weekend <Fri/sat/sun> And to controll the system the klingons would have to destroy the space staion <witch is heavily armed itsself> the defense platforms, and finally perge the planet of the defending forces. <both times the maximum number of players both ground and space is 20 for each faction>

The small mission chain can be done at anytime and when the klingons start doing the chain the defending fleet is alerted so they can prepare a defense for the weekend.

The only thing the defender risks losing is the station <witch should only cost about a million energy credits witch is easy to get as a fleet> and ofcourse there system.

I think with the afore mentioned death penalty Idea this would prove to be extreamly exciting and very fun.

If a fleet does not wish to risk there station then they can simply grab a system closer to home and out of the line of fire.

Thats pretty much it for now anyone have any thoughts on this.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    26 views and no one has a thought.

and bump
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    personally i feel that if your ship gets too badly damaged you should get to a disabled state ie your ship is boned and you cant do much. then you have to get to enginering to get your core systems back online and can continue to fight at limited combat effectiveness. (people keep nagging to go inside their ship) also if your in pvp they can choose to finish you off or let a science ship help repair you.

if you die again or maybe 2 times again? you have to abandon ship escape with escape pods and get recovered by another ship and start back at sol / ds9 nearest star base to where you died. with a proper telling off from someone with a higher rank than you.

personally id like to see you get a few free tokens for the same ship class then you have to pay credits to have your ship restored. (not enough credits you will have to use one of your older ships)

just my view 2bh
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In my opinion, the death penalty should involve a form of "durability" loss similar to other games. They have shown that such mechanics are indeed required in order to encourage players to partake in the activities in the desired manner.

Replace the "Crew" indictor with "Critical Systems" indicator
    The "crew" concept is just wrong for this kind of game. Therefore, the "crew" concept should be replaced with the name "Critical Systems". Of course, for this to work, the rate of durability loss to the "Critical Systems" must be such that it doesn't force the player to have to return to a base too frequently, and yet it still needs to be a deterrent to the whole "zerg" mentality. So lets for arguments sake say that total durability to the "Critical Systems" will be lost after 3 hours of constant gameplay without any deaths.

Consequences of avatar death
    The moment that a players ship explodes, then that incurrs a 10% durability reduction on the "critical systems" durability level that the ship currently has. The player would "respawn" with 10% shields and 10% hull and the the respawn point would have to be sufficiently far away so that it would take time to get back to where the player was in local space. Thus the player is penalised (in the form of time and a little durability loss) for dieing.

The effect in a reduction in durability results in effecting certain ship functions such as shield and hull regeneration and weapon effectivity. And until such durability has been repaired, then the effectiveness of such systems remain impaired.

Repairs to the Critical Systems
    Now, repairing the "Critical systems" merely involves in returning to the nearest starbase (which means that there has to be a starbase or outpost in every sector block) and speaking to the necessary npc who will arrange repairs at a cost (energy credits). The higher the rank of ship and the greater the amount of repair required to return the durability to 100%, the greater the cost to the player.

Conclusion
    Of course, in order for a death penalty to be balanced correctly, certain parts of the game need attention first. For instance, ensuring that groups of npcs don't wander through the spawn points in the "Enemy Encounter" zones. Also, there would have to be a starbase or outpost (a facility like the starbase but has limited functionality) in each sector block. That would actually address the issues with overcrowding in the Sol station.