test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

$65 buys you a hope and a prayer

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
*disclaimer* this is mostly a jest with a sliver of truth. please don't take this too seriously and mindlessly flame me.

What ever happened to spending $65 for a game that was finished and fun? It seems all your $65 buys you these days is a hope and a prayer which we all know how much those are worth.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    skullkandy wrote: »
    *disclaimer* this is mostly a jest with a sliver of truth. please don't take this too seriously and mindlessly flame me.

What ever happened to spending $65 for a game that was finished and fun? It seems all your $65 buys you these days is a hope and a prayer which we all know how much those are worth.

When it comes to a single-player offline game, I'd agree with you. For an MMO? Not a chance. You pay monthly fees so that you can play with other people and see content added in the future that wasn't present at the time of purchase.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A $2 lottery ticket is cheaper, then you can spend the $63 left over on something else.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    AGSHender wrote: »
    When it comes to a single-player offline game, I'd agree with you. For an MMO? Not a chance. You pay monthly fees so that you can play with other people and see content added in the future that wasn't present at the time of purchase.

True, but you would hope that there was $65 worth of content from the start and that you weren't paying a monthly fee to complete work that should have been done in the alpha.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Qoojo wrote:
    A $2 lottery ticket is cheaper, then you can spend the $63 left over on something else.

and in the MMO market now with each game released being progressively less gameplay and more promises the lotto ticket probably has more chance of delivering.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Oh, I don't know. I've paid $300 for a pre-order and lifetime sub to this game. I'm figuring that it'll be worth playing no matter what, because Cryptic is in fact a professional company and I think they will put forward a reasonably good product at the very least, with reasonably good content.

That and I don't think the Star Trek IP is going anywhere else anytime soon.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

yup, that's what the monthly fee used to be for. now everything you pay for is just to finish the initial stages of development that weren't ever completed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Comparing STO with a single player game...

Ok.

Single player game costs the same. Offers 40 hours of content(if that... standard is much lower these days).

I've played STO for... about 120 hours so far.

I've enjoyed STO. I enjoy some single player games.

STO wins.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    YunoLegacy wrote:
    True, but you would hope that there was $65 worth of content from the start and that you weren't paying a monthly fee to complete work that should have been done in the alpha.

I'm 53 hours in and I paid $50. That's a pretty good ROI so far.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'm pushing 60 and I feel I got my moneys worth.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I can beat my girlfriend for 53 hours in a month and take $50 from her too and i'm sure that she wouldn't think she got a good ROI.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can beat my girlfriend for 53 hours in a month and take $50 from her too and i'm sure that she wouldn't think she got a good ROI.

Oh, a domestic abuse joke. Classy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the point is we were handed a game still in alpha that was rushed and slapped together with a promise of a polished product yet no actual indication that the polished product is on it's way. that's what I mean by buying a hope and a prayer.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

So STO physically beat you?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Qoojo wrote:
    So STO physically beat you?

my space bar finger is swollen and torn, my head is bruised from beating it against the wall as I attempt to enjoy the game, my ribs ache from laughing at the idiocy that is this blind forum....so yes, yes it did.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The game was WELL worth my $50 for sure. I enjoyed it and had some fun. It's just not worth a continued monthly fee.

If more things are added in a timely fashion then yeah sure, as it stands now then the subscription isn't worth it. I got my value out of the retail price though and then some.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    my space bar finger is black and blue so yes, yes it did.

Guess you been playing a bit.

I feel as though I've gotten my monies worth out of STO-now after the 45 day patch will I feel the same way? I don't know, we'll see. I say if I get 15-20 hours a month of new content to enjoy I've gotten my monies worth.

the end
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    my space bar finger is swollen and torn, my head is bruised from beating it against the wall as I attempt to enjoy the game, my ribs ache from laughing at the idiocy that is this blind forum....so yes, yes it did.

You know you can stop playing if you are not having fun?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Qoojo wrote:
    You know you can stop playing if you are not having fun?

I wish I could but this whispering voice keeps saying "playyyyy playyyy you silly fool, it's star trek and you want to love it."

so I boot up my pc, grind my teeth, and try to pretend i'm not being completely ripped off because of my blind love for an IP.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NahK wrote:
    Oh, I don't know. I've paid $300 for a pre-order and lifetime sub to this game. I'm figuring that it'll be worth playing no matter what, because Cryptic is in fact a professional company and I think they will put forward a reasonably good product at the very least, with reasonably good content.

That and I don't think the Star Trek IP is going anywhere else anytime soon.

Given time, they might. If they completely update their game engine and change their design philosophy from 100% casual to mixing in some stuff for the hardcore folk too... ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zabonam wrote: »
    The game was WELL worth my $50 for sure. I enjoyed it and had some fun. It's just not worth a continued monthly fee.

If more things are added in a timely fashion then yeah sure, as it stands now then the subscription isn't worth it. I got my value out of the retail price though and then some.

this is probably the most accurate assessment of STO in its current state. A passable, mildly bellow average $50 game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

LOL....

This! Is! Paid! Beta!

Too be fair though, even though lacking in depth as an MMO, I paid $46 for this game.

And with that said. I have gotten that much value out of it and maybe a bit more.

This game is worth the initial investment, even if to just enjoy it as a singleplayer experience.

But as to paying a monthly, I don't think this alpha version warrants such a fee. So I won't be paying it, and I will remain to finish the rest of my time that I, not you, paid for. /looks directly at trolls when saying last line