test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game leveling and lack of content issues

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
The servers have an avg up time of over 18+hrs a day since head start. This includes all planned downtime and all crashes and down time to get them back up.

It's unfortunate that their server model only has 1 virtual server and that the downtime has affectted a small % of the player base. Sure they have a right to complain, but to say the game has had too much downtime would be not so reasonable. It's had more uptime that most other prev MMOs have post launch

I completely agree if someone is unhappy with the game in some way, they should talk to cryptic, or post on the forums in a constructive, non flamatory way.

But when I see people posting "this game sucks! I'm gonna quit!" I think to myself.. then why are they still here? If they hate it so bad, are sooo unhappy.. then just walk away... chalk up the lost $$ to a bad investment... or just play the game till there's no more game left. It takes only about 80hrs to go through all the game's content.

Hell , people pay $60 for bioshock and Resident Evil that you can beat in a fraction of that time... but this is a MMO, and I hit the cap in 10 days.. and I only played 8 hrs a day. In aion, I played 16hrs/day and at 6 weeks I was only 5 levels from the cap. That speaks VOLUMES about STO

1) They let people level toooooo fast
2) They should HALF or THIRD espisode/mission xp and force people to do either more PvE events, PVP events, or exploration clusters to add a lil more "grind" I hate grinding like most people.. but better THAT that hit the cap to fast
3) The new xpac.. content that was supposed to be released with the game.. well.. part of it has already been released and all the RAs have blown through the new story line

I only hope Cryptics Fleet Raids are enough to keep people entertained until they can put in a MAJOR expansion with about 100+hrs of gaming content

this is my main FEAR about the game... I'm not mad or upset, but I fear for the future of this game. Leveling too fast + lack of contest can = a QUICK DEATH to a MMO. I've really wanted a St trek MMO, and this game has SO much potential.

The question is... Does Cryptic has stuff lined up, have a game plan, have SOMETHING to keep people interested.

An MMO is supposed to target "the moderate player", not the hardcore, not the casual.. and as it ages add in more and more content for the hardcore people.

STO , right now, targets the CASUAL. The OBSESSIVE hard cores hit RA5 in 4 days. The hard cores in a week. The moderate people 10-14 days. Casual people (1-3hrs/day) will hit Ra5 wilth in 4 weeks about of playing the game..... this is very very very very wrong.

Even the most OBSESSED player should never hit an MMO cap - at least for 4 weeks LOL
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    so basically what your suggesting is to make the little content the game has more of a drag ?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Then stop playing eight hours a day. Go outside, enjoy the fresh air.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ocharni wrote: »
    so basically what your suggesting is to make the little content the game has more of a drag ?

Exactly. In order for reducing the SP per mission to work, there would have to be many more missions to offset the grind.

The OP's solution only brings us back to the original problem.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Roach wrote: »

oh stop with those dumba$$ remarks allready. i think even to the most hardened fanboi its clear
    now that this game has severe lacks on the content front.
    powerlevelling has nothing to do with the fact that its **** easy to level your char to max. lvl. in 3 weeks.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

As a bandaid fix. Yes. People would gripe and complain, but they would still play. They may even lose some people, but they will lose a LOT more people who hit RA5, make an alt, hit RA5 again, with little to no content....

All I can say is I hope this "new content" is all it's hyped to be, or people will burn it up in a month and be left wanting and bored.

Dont' get me wrong. I'm not bashing the game. I LOVE the game and do not want to see it fail. I'm trying to constructively point out one of its most major flaws.

Leveling too fast with lack of content... and actually that's probably why we are leveling to fast.... if they had 5Xs the content, we could have 5Xs the missions @ 5Xs less the xp :) and people would be happy campers... but due to lack of funding the game was rushed out

all I'm saying as a bandaid.. all they could do is slow us down... or slow everyone down post ra5... I mean make it REAALLLLY hard to go from ra5 to ra10.. that would be another option
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Roach wrote: »

Ahaha LOL I do! I'm 39, well off, and retired. I hit the gym for 90 mins a day, tend my garden, walk my dogs, etc, hang with friends.

But lets say I only played 2hrs a day.... 4Xs less... that would mean I would have hit Ra5 in 40 days... that's still.. absurd... take wow, eq2, aion, lotro, etc, etc.. play 1-2 hrs a day, and you would be NO WHERE NEAR the cap in 40 days.... maybe 6 months.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    oh stop with those dumba$$ remarks allready. i think even to the most hardened fanboi its clear
    powerlevelling has nothing to do with the fact that its **** easy to level your char to max. lvl. in 3 weeks.

LOL thank you... and I wasn't even TRYING to power level... I mean if I did, I would have played 16hrs a day and hit RA5 in 4 days ROFL. I played 8hrs a day because I played with RL friends all with diff shecules.

Funny thing is I'm working on an alt now.. and now with all the pvp area missions working. I'm always 5 levels ahead of my standard missions. I would have thought once they added those PVP missions to the game, they would have cut the SP/XP down on the main game's missions, but they didn't LOL
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just to illustrate the point a tad bit further. I am a casual gamer, I've done Horizons/istaria, EQ2, DDO and LOTR. In each of those games it's taken me months and months to get to the level cap. Some have added new content so fast I couldn't hit the level cap for years.
    That being said, playing the same amount I usually do per day/weekend I hit captain this past weekend and will probably hit the level cap before my first 30 days is up. This has me kind of worried.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just to illustrate the point a tad bit further. I am a casual gamer, I've done Horizons/istaria, EQ2, DDO and LOTR. In each of those games it's taken me months and months to get to the level cap. Some have added new content so fast I couldn't hit the level cap for years.
    That being said, playing the same amount I usually do per day/weekend I hit captain this past weekend and will probably hit the level cap before my first 30 days is up. This has me kind of worried.

... and someone just proved my point....

right now people are complaining to the more hardcore people "oh you just played too much"

Well... I'd like to see what the casual to moderate people have to say on April 2nd on the 30th day when most are Ra5....... even the UBER casual will then say they played too much LOL!

This is what worries me... I can't see this new content keeping people busy....

I mean Eq2 or Wow can release a new "area" of the world with new group zones, raid zones, etc... and it takes even the most HARDCORE guilds months and months.. often 3,4,5 or 6 months to beat those end game raid zones. I'm talking 100s and100s and 100s of hours of gameplay

I don't think STO needs something THAT radical so close to launch, but more end game content along with doubling the content from levels 1-45 would help a LOT.. that would ad replay value to the game and give people incentive to play alts more

Do I want to play a Klingon right now? HELL NO. Right now most of the way they level is still PVP based and I'm not a big fan of pvp... So until the Klingons have enough pve content to level them, I won't be playing them
  • Options
    edited February 2010

ANd you might want to go see a doctor for some Valium or another "Calming" drug. You seem so tense and that worries me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    Ahaha LOL I do! I'm 39, well off, and retired. I hit the gym for 90 mins a day, tend my garden, walk my dogs, etc, hang with friends.

But lets say I only played 2hrs a day.... 4Xs less... that would mean I would have hit Ra5 in 40 days... that's still.. absurd... take wow, eq2, aion, lotro, etc, etc.. play 1-2 hrs a day, and you would be NO WHERE NEAR the cap in 40 days.... maybe 6 months.

Then you are a much better gamer than I. Still I'm happy and leveling just fine at the pace I'm enjoying now.
    As too your statement about leveling in other games, I've heard plenty of stories about players capping much sooner than 40 days of play. It really depends on your play style.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Seriously man. I played WoW at launch and people were capping level 60 in the first month. This was before the 2+ expansions of content that they put into the game. We're talking a week or two after the iniitial launch of vanilla WoW. This was with major bugs, server issues and lag. The key to playing an MMO isn't to be a "better" gamer than someone else. It's all proportional to how much time you put into it. I play STO a max of 2-3 hours at a time. Never do I get a session where I can sit down for 8 HOURS a day to play. NEVER.

My point is that if you put 8 hours a day into STO then yea you are going to get through content WAY quicker. While I won't deny that it could use a little more but I don't think it falls short. This is the way with -any- game out there OP console or PC. It doesn't matter. At least, not in my opinion. As far as EQ or WoW as a comparison, those new areas and new level caps came out in expansion packs that were released YEARS after the initial launch of the game and their system was no where near as cool and advanced (across realm battlegrounds for one) as they were at launch.

Give it time. We're sorry that you played 8 hours a day and got through all the content in a few weeks...but that's to be expected given that your time put into the game is likely 4x the average player.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Seriously man. I played WoW at launch and people were capping level 60 in the first month. This was before the 2+ expansions of content that they put into the game. We're talking a week or two after the iniitial launch of vanilla WoW. This was with major bugs, server issues and lag. The key to playing an MMO isn't to be a "better" gamer than someone else. It's all proportional to how much time you put into it. I play STO a max of 2-3 hours at a time. Never do I get a session where I can sit down for 8 HOURS a day to play. NEVER.

My point is that if you put 8 hours a day into STO then yea you are going to get through content WAY quicker. While I won't deny that it could use a little more but I don't think it falls short. This is the way with -any- game out there OP console or PC. It doesn't matter. At least, not in my opinion. As far as EQ or WoW as a comparison, those new areas and new level caps came out in expansion packs that were released YEARS after the initial launch of the game and their system was no where near as cool and advanced (across realm battlegrounds for one) as they were at launch.

Give it time. We're sorry that you played 8 hours a day and got through all the content in a few weeks...but that's to be expected given that your time put into the game is likely 4x the average player.

You sir are missing the point BIG TIME. See my post earlier.

I am not harcore. I work commute 48 hours a week. I sleep 7 hours a night during the week and 9 hours on the weekend. I make dinner, clean the house and maintain it (I live alone). I play an hour or 2 during the week nights and weekends I can usually eek out 8 hours or so balancing family commitments and chores.
    I have a pretty good history of MMORPGs and in games like EQ2 or LOTR it took me close to a year to get even close to the cap. In STO I will hit the cap in under 30 days.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My issue is why cap it off at RA5? That seems like such an odd place to make the endgame, especially considering the currently flow has been a promotion ever 10 levels up until then. It's obvious that we should be able to go higher considering the odd number of skill points we have upon reaching RA 5.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Casual game is casual and directed/programmed/written for casual gamers. :) It really is that simple.

Cryptic has the basics in and have provided a functional game. They're tweaking the cluster, based on the massive influx of interested gamers, to improve the game both server side and client side. Now they get to expand it a bit, add in more content, increase the levels back up to 50, add in Klingon content and work on adding in the Romulan and Cardassian factions.

But...DOOOOOOOOMMMMM ;)