test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lifers

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I always see this response in "I quit" threads....

"Well I paid for a lifetime subscription so good riddance."

Question....

What happens to the game if all thats left is lifers?

How much does it cost to run the server monthly, would there be a way to keep it running without people paying monthly fees?

Would the game go the way of D&D online and be free, but you pay for new content (lifers get the new content for free there)?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    they would probably drop it if no one is paying. I don't think that will happen for a while if it does. I hope not or I'm out a bit of money I payed for the life time.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ares02 wrote:

you seem to be implying that the consequence of lost subscribers is at hand.

well, plenty of people play it, and the people who make the decisions will keep this game going for a good long time regardless.

Perhaps you don't realize that the vast majority of the games that have the "failed" label on them are still around.

So if you want an answer to your question, don't hold your breath.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ares02 wrote:
    I always see this response in "I quit" threads....

"Well I paid for a lifetime subscription so good riddance."

Question....

How much does it cost to run the server monthly, would there be a way to keep it running without people paying monthly fees?

Would the game go the way of D&D online and be free, but you pay for new content (lifers get the new content for free there)?

Cryptic made enough bank off of lifers to keep the servers running and keep up with content updates for a while I'm guessing, even if most subs left after three months time as the threads here would seem to suggest.

The new business savvy in offering lifetime is quite smart. The lifetime subscription base creates a dedicated group of players that will almost always support the game since they really have no advantage to do so otherwise. Subers can quit or come and go based on the games performance but a lifer gives all their money for over a years worth of subscription fees which obviously provides a great boon in financial resource and stability for Cryptic. This is good business on Cryptics part and you have to respect that.

I myself almost became a lifer but I decided to wait since Cryptic hasn't had a great reputation with Champion's Online. After the "meh" reception from critics and consumers I'm definitely relieved I didn't commit to lifetime now of course. Taking into consideration the major content additions being added shortly, I think this game has at least a few more months to offer us. I trust that Cryptic will use the mountain of money they made off of lifers to drive expansions, improvements, and other content updates for STO and not let it stagnate and tank.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lifer here. The way I see it, I could have spent the money on a really good evening with friends, or buy about 2 years worth of subscription that will last theoretically for a lifetime. There's posts floating out there with non-lifers (and some lifers) mocking us for how we got scammed, how we got robbed. Its astonishing how SERIOUS RAWL people are about this.

Look, I've spent money with good results, and also badly. I've spent a couple hundred bucks for a concert of a band I really liked only to find out they sound like TRIBBLE live. As noted, the lifetime subscription could equal a good night out with friends, about 2 dates, my electric bill each month, whatever. If the game folds, the game folds. If the game lasts at least 2 years, I'll 'break even", but even if it doesn't its not like our world is ruined, OMG I cannot go on!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lifer here as well. And in the rare chance that they dont fix anything and everyone BUT us leave. Two words:

Micro Transactions.

Make **** shiny enough, and you can get anyone to spend money on it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Losobal wrote:
    Lifer here. The way I see it, I could have spent the money on a really good evening with friends, or buy about 2 years worth of subscription that will last theoretically for a lifetime. There's posts floating out there with non-lifers (and some lifers) mocking us for how we got scammed, how we got robbed. Its astonishing how SERIOUS RAWL people are about this.

Look, I've spent money with good results, and also badly. I've spent a couple hundred bucks for a concert of a band I really liked only to find out they sound like TRIBBLE live. As noted, the lifetime subscription could equal a good night out with friends, about 2 dates, my electric bill each month, whatever. If the game folds, the game folds. If the game lasts at least 2 years, I'll 'break even", but even if it doesn't its not like our world is ruined, OMG I cannot go on!

I find people busting on Lifers amusing. I mean, it was my decision and my money. Too many people seem to want to stick their noses in others business.

Funny thing is this past weekend I went to Kobe with some friends and they showed me where you can bet on horse races. Well, jokingly I put down 20$ on a horse randomly, that had so so odds, but it took first and I took home 2000$.

Lifetime Subscription: Paid for and accounted for. lol :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They probably did not hit the black with lifers but when it went live and everyone went out and paid their 50 bucks for the plain jane game they shot straight into the black. I was at a Walmart Superstore today and thought hey I am gonna see if they have any copies of the game and the clerk told me that they were sold out and that they had a list of about 30 people that are buying copies when they show up. So that is just one store. This game is here to stay in 5 years well beyond the life of a regular gamer in one game the servers will still be live. Server shutdowns are extremely rare because of subscriber loss. The biggest fiasco in MMO history and probably the largest abandonment of subscribers in one game and Sony did not shutdown one server now that was in 2005 or 6 I cant remember and in October of 2009 they decided to shutdown a few servers but the game is still going after 7 years and a huge mess. If that gives you any ideas of how rare it is for shutdowns.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MrBlinker wrote:
    I find people busting on Lifers amusing. I mean, it was my decision and my money.

Too many people seem to want to stick their noses in others business.

Funny thing is this past weekend I went to Kobe with some friends and they showed me where you can bet on horse races. Well, jokingly I put down 20$ on a horse randomly, that had so so odds, but it took first and I took home 2000$.

For regular gamers the lifetime subscription is the best way to go no doubt in fact I would not do it any other way. I say that because if you have played many MMO's you know the bumps that we are having right now are only temporary.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    chronykle wrote: »
    They probably did not hit the black with lifers but when it went live and everyone went out and paid their 50 bucks for the plain jane game they shot straight into the black. I was at a Walmart Superstore today and thought hey I am gonna see if they have any copies of the game and the clerk told me that they were sold out and that they had a list of about 30 people that are buying copies when they show up. So that is just one store. This game is here to stay in 5 years well beyond the life of a regular gamer in one game the servers will still be live. Server shutdowns are extremely rare because of subscriber loss. The biggest fiasco in MMO history and probably the largest abandonment of subscribers in one game and Sony did not shutdown one server now that was in 2005 or 6 I cant remember and in October of 2009 they decided to shutdown a few servers but the game is still going after 7 years and a huge mess. If that gives you any ideas of how rare it is for shutdowns.

Lets hope Cryptic keeps pumping out patches/content. Space is BIG and they have all of it to work with.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made some worlds completely explorable, with missions and grouping and random monsters you could kill/hunt.
    For regular gamers the lifetime subscription is the best way to go no doubt in fact I would not do it any other way. I say that because if you have played many MMO's you know the bumps that we are having right now are only temporary.

Well for me it wasn't even about the game so much. I knew from beta I enjoyed playing the game, and saw it had serious potential.

The reason I went lifer is because even if I switch games, I will often times go back to old games after a couple months to play them and see whats changed. Generally speaking I have enjoyed all of the MMO's I have played starting from The Realm Online, and even last summer I went back to Ultima Online and played for several months.

The thing that the lifetime sub gives me, is the option to ALWAYS go back, regardless of what is happening in my life. I don't have to worry about paying a subscription ever again.

Also, I find it amusing that people say this game will fail and be shut down when Vanguard was a total FLOP and is still up and running, and SoE has put quite a bit of time into developing it up and making it a better game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    HAHAHAHA I remember that Vanguard flop worst game that could come out. I totally forgot about that. I see ya on the lifer and jumping games I do that as well often. Just so I dont burn out. I dont know how anyone can stick to one game nowadays but new people do and its understandable doing a few games at a time being new to MMO's might be a bit confusing. But then after you get that first burnout it is time to add another game to your portfolio of games to avoid it again LOL.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They go from being lifers, to suckers, oh wait, nevermind.

Mission accomplished LOL!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The act of handing out lifetime subscriptions at such an awesome rate was pretty-much an admission that they expected to have problems with content, felt that there would be issues, and thought they really hadn't completed as much as they would have liked to...

Everyone who bought a lifetime subscription knew this.. ..

The people that didn't were too busy yapping and complaining to shut it for a minute and think about it in the simplest way...

The lifetime sub was Cryptic's way of saying they were sorry and that sticking around will be worth it...

The only people who don't get that are the same one's who are loud and belligerent in the forums about how stupid buying one was... and how everything is evil and "poopy"... and 9/11 was an inside job, and Cryptic are amphibian- minions from planet Zeta and yadda yadda yadda.......

..When if fact they are perception-less gimps who need to be led to a thought at the end of a sturdy rope....

(for instance , look at the guy above this post .. I think he *actually* thinks he is smart in some ...strange ...sad little way... when he actually just doesn't get it... or much else...)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    HAHAHAHA I remember that Vanguard flop worst game that could come out. I totally forgot about that. I see ya on the lifer and jumping games I do that as well often. Just so I dont burn out. I dont know how anyone can stick to one game nowadays but new people do and its understandable doing a few games at a time being new to MMO's might be a bit confusing. But then after you get that first burnout it is time to add another game to your portfolio of games to avoid it again LOL.

I actually loved Vanguard! But... yeah it just didn't have the population to sustain such a huge world. The concepts were amazing, but some were broken... like crafting -.- GREAT concept, AWEFUL implementation.
    They go from being lifers, to suckers, oh wait, nevermind.

Mission accomplished LOL!

/yawn... <insert comment about no job> <insert comment about mommy not paying> <lol>

Someone is jealous.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MrBlinker wrote:
    I find people busting on Lifers amusing. I mean, it was my decision and my money. Too many people seem to want to stick their noses in others business.

Ha funny story almost the same as yours. After i paid for mine (i wanted the borg and to save moola)
    played the local lottery and won $500 on 2 bucks :) PLUS i'm enjoying the game! Bonus!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    someGit wrote: »
    The act of handing out lifetime subscriptions at such an awesome rate was pretty-much an admission that they expected to have problems with content, felt that there would be issues, and thought they really hadn't completed as much as they would have liked to...

Everyone who bought a lifetime subscription knew this.. ..

The people that didn't were too busy yapping and complaining to shut it for a minute and think about it in the simplest way...

The lifetime sub was Cryptic's way of saying they were sorry and that sticking around will be worth it...

The only people who don't get that are the same one's who are loud and belligerent in the forums about how stupid buying one was... and how everything is evil and "poopy"... and 9/11 was an inside job, and Cryptic are amphibian- minions from planet Zeta and yadda yadda yadda.......

..When if fact they are perception-less gimps who need to be led to a thought at the end of a sturdy rope....

(for instance , look at the guy above this pos .. I think he *actually* thinks he is smart in some ...strange ...sad little way... when he actually just doesn't get it... or much else...)

You know the same thing happened with LOTRO and now it is the deepest game on the market so lifetime subs are a great idea as long as the developer continues to back it up. And that is what happened with LOTRO they have a full crew running that game and it is so deep now that doing all the quests alone on fast track would probably take you 6 months to a year. That is how many there are and then all the other stuff to do on top of that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    artika1 wrote: »
    Ha funny story almost the same as yours. After i paid for mine (i wanted the borg and to save moola)
    played the local lottery and won $500 on 2 bucks :) PLUS i'm enjoying the game! Bonus!

hehehe nice.............I <3 the lottery won a rather large sum last year off the mega millions I didnt win the millions but I won more than a 100k too ahh hell I won 250k LOL nobody in the family believed me because i didnt tell them until after I got the check because I didnt believe it then they put my name and pic on their website and put the web addy in christmas cards this last year :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You know the same thing happened with LOTRO and now it is the deepest game on the market so lifetime subs are a great idea as long as the developer continues to back it up. And that is what happened with LOTRO they have a full crew running that game and it is so deep now that doing all the quests alone on fast track would probably take you 6 months to a year. That is how many there are and then all the other stuff to do on top of that.

Indeed...in fact I would dare to say that most of the truly great MMO's started out as a solid foundation, then built themselves up...

We will be charged more at some point, but again... We have a brains and hence, careers that allows us to take a good deal when we see it..I know fourteen months I will be playing for free, at my leisure... I have no doubt... Many who say they won't be...will be...and that's why they bother being here ... They just think throwing a fit is going to get them something for free when it's actually being smarter than a tantrum that eventually will =)

I keep hearing good things about LOTRO... Maybe one day if I can stomach the fantasy theme, I should try it...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MrBlinker wrote:
    Well for me it wasn't even about the game so much. I knew from beta I enjoyed playing the game, and saw it had serious potential.

The reason I went lifer is because even if I switch games, I will often times go back to old games after a couple months to play them and see whats changed. Generally speaking I have enjoyed all of the MMO's I have played starting from The Realm Online, and even last summer I went back to Ultima Online and played for several months.

The thing that the lifetime sub gives me, is the option to ALWAYS go back, regardless of what is happening in my life. I don't have to worry about paying a subscription ever again.

Also, I find it amusing that people say this game will fail and be shut down when Vanguard was a total FLOP and is still up and running, and SoE has put quite a bit of time into developing it up and making it a better game.

Almost exactly the same for me. (even the UO part :D ) Only exception is that I couldn't play in Beta. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kratos23 wrote: »
    even if most subs left after three months time as the threads here would seem to suggest.
    Riiiight, because the majority of the playerbase is on the forums.....

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\