test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maybe patching on Fridays are not such a good idea.....

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Ok so I understand that maintenance has to be done, friday night is not the night for that. Mon - thurs nights would be fine but I think the busiest night of the week could be a bad time to turn your product off!!!!!!! But what do I know I am just a paying customer....... any thoughts?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    WoW dominates the market by patching on Tuesdays.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    CptWarpass wrote: »

Indeed, even most SOE games are patched in the week, not the weekend. I think SWG was on Thursday. In any case, this is one point I can agree with. BUT, at least they do it at night instead of mid morning like other games.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They don't dominate.. they just go with what make sense... but realize that they used to patch on sunday nights... boy did they get an TRIBBLE chewing. It's nothing to do with wow or any other game; it's to do with what time makes the most sense to patch on.

And that time IS tuesday... 6am to 11am PST.... it just really is!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Agreed, I miss (literally) tuesday patches. Tuesday at 3 am = no one on anyway. Friday night? Come on you gotta be smarter than that!!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As much as I can agree with you on a more structured maintenance time, although I think Tuesday is a horrible time to do it, you will find that almost no MMO out there has not had random patch times for it's first month or two.

This one included. You can pretty much expect there to be more random patchings for the next few weeks.

It will happen again on the next game. And the one after that. And even the ones after that one.

Usually about 2 months in, it starts getting down to about once a week... then about 4 months in, it starts to become once a month.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sign... you gave no reason as to why not tuesday/wednesday for a patch
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just dont get why they say 3am pst then do it earlier than that. Wtffff
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lol if your playing Friday nights then you dont go out much. :p Everyone usually goes out on the p*ss Friday nights so i doubt its the active day of the week. Sat or sun are.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't know but the message i got said the servers will be down from 10pm PST to 12amPST friday. (6AM-8AM GMT)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SkeeterUK wrote: »
    Lol if your playing Friday nights then you dont go out much. :p Everyone usually goes out on the p*ss Friday nights so i doubt its the active day of the week. Sat or sun are.

mmm....you are still in High School, right?

I'm in my 30's, play on my nights off cuz I can. Friday, Sat, Sun realy aren't party nights for me anymore for personal reasons. Trust me though, the "Hey guys it's Friday night, let's all get wasted" ideal is more a myth for most folks these days. Especialy with the economy in the states the way it is.

Week nights tend to be good for patching because most people work during the week, so they aren't on late at night.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Im 27 mate so nope. I was jesting that most go out on fridays for nights out which is why it wasnt much of a big deal that they altered the time for maintainence.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    CptWarpass wrote: »
    This was probably a bad example. The release notes for the Friday night patch state this was fixing issues that could cause crashes and lag in peak periods so those maintenance items will usually get patched as soon as a fix is ready.

And WoW has posted on their login screen that they are taking the majority of their servers down Saturday morning for 5 hours (2am - 7am PST) for maintenance to address performance issues. All MMOs normally do this (and should do this) to make sure the game stays playable. WoW Tuesday maintenance is for their normal weekly server maintenance downtime. They will normally delay non-urgent patches to include them in Tuesday's server maintenance. But not patches or maintenance that's for performance issues.
This discussion has been closed.