test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Macro's: The offical line?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in The Academy
This is my first commercial MMO, and I'm given to understand that they can be frowned upon. I've not been able to find any official stance on these, and obviously I don't want to be banned.

Let me explain.

As I have said elsewhere I have a minor disability. Which makes the space bar mashing exercise an problem. It takes the game from fun and enjoyment (with the two auto-fire weapons) to being very frustrating and almost unplayable for me.

So the obvious answer is a Macro to take over that task. I was thinking that maybe if I set the Macro to say 5 or even 6 second cycle, then the DPS would be lower than if I was doing it manually. That way it would lessen any accusation of cheating (Maybe that's the answer for auto-fire, have a longer cycle time?).

But again I come round to the thought that if Cryptic has a blanket ban on Macro's then this is putting my membership of the game at risk. Hence why I'm asking about the official line. Seeing as they don't seem to have any in game TOC's on the website, its left me wondering.

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Using a 3rd party program to assist you ingame is agaisnt the rules and banable as far as i understand it.

I am hopeing they add better autofire, disabled or not mashing one key is a health hazard, untill then tho sorry to say its at your own risk if you use one
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Evalissa wrote: »
    Using a 3rd party program to assist you ingame is agaisnt the rules and banable as far as i understand it.

I am hopeing they add better autofire, disabled or not mashing one key is a health hazard, untill then tho sorry to say its at your own risk if you use one

Thanks, that's what I figured and was worried about.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The last post I've seen about this is found here:

GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey Everyone,

To be honest, we have not given a clear set of rules for macro usage, because we do not have one yet.

Policies related to macros are always liquid, and are subject to change as players figure out new techniques. Right now, we don't consider any keyboard macros to be exploits, but that is certainly subject to change as new situations and techniques are brought to our attention.

The current stance is as follows:

Setting up macros where you are mapping 2-3 actions to a single keystroke is alright, however any macro that automates your character while you are not physically at your computer, is considered exploitation and may result in action taken against your account.

As we observe player behavior, leveling curves, PVP, etc, these policies will be updated to ensure that we can preserve the integrity of the game environment.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Evalissa wrote: »

since when is a macro considered 3rd party get real, if you don't know what your talking about zip it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Considering that the game fully supports the Logitech G19 keyboard, I would subscribe to the comment by GM-Destra...

Essentially, if your macro amounts to an AFK bot, then it's against the rules. But if your macro is a way to change a few settings, adjust speed and then fire an ability, and you assign that to G3 for example, that is fine, because you are still at your keyboard playing.

I would equate commands and macros to this...

--- NO MACRO ---

"Mr Geralds, adjust shields."
    "Yes Sir." *blip blip*

"Mr Geralds, go to 1/2 impulse."
    "Yes Sir." *biip*

"Mr Geralds, lock phasers on that Bird of Prey"
    "Yes Sir." *blip boop blip*

"Mr. Geralds, target his engines."
    "Yes Sir." *blip blip bloop*

"Mr. Geralds, fire phasers."
    "Yes Sir." *pew pew*

--- WHAT A MACRO IS ---

"Mr. Geralds, adjust shields, go to 1/2 impulse then lock phasers on that Brid of Prey and target his engines and fire."
    "Yes Sir." *blip blip blip blip boop blip blip blip bloop pew pew*

Of course, setting up macros for complicated and very specialized situations is not such a good idea, but it's not too bad for common task provided you want to invest the time remapping your keys and then setting them up. Some times, it can be very very time consuming.

I usually just learn the default shortcuts and go with those due to the effort it takes.

@ Beefheat -- The MMOs I've played on over the years, for the most part, consider any kind of keystroke automation via Marcos as a punishable offence. I can't comment on the MMOs you've played because I don't know what you've played, but the poster you are quoting is correct and therefore your flame is not warranted.

Cheers!
    Pretending_To_Be_Captain_Canuck :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    he never said a macro was 3rd party was just saying if you where to use a 3rd party that would for curse be a a problem

when last i read there is no official stance other then no fully auto mated macros meaning if it moves your ship from one place to another gathers stuff and fights then there is an issue

if its just helping with firing i would not see too much of a problem as long as you are doing everything elce especially with a disability but of course in the long run the end call is cryptic hopefully something you can talk to them about and make sure everything is fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shurikenv wrote: »
    he never said a macro was 3rd party was just saying if you where to use a 3rd party that would for curse be a a problem

when last i read there is no official stance other then no fully auto mated macros meaning if it moves your ship from one place to another gathers stuff and fights then there is an issue

if its just helping with firing i would not see too much of a problem as long as you are doing everything elce especially with a disability but of course in the long run the end call is cryptic hopefully something you can talk to them about and make sure everything is fine.

That's the way I'm erring. However talking to cryptic at the moment is possibly going to be a bit hard to do, as i suspect they have their hands too full to bother with a tiny Issue like me. That's why I asked here hoping for a full blown "Yay" or "Nay" from them.

However we have the above response, which seems almost clear enough. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I assume the same rules apply to voice macros, as long as you're at your computer playing it's fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    since when is a macro considered 3rd party get real, if you don't know what your talking about zip it.

almost always.
    anything thats not built into the game = 3rd party

thanks for the offical quote weissbrot :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Even if the language of macro is unclear and from what I read it is I would assume accomodation could be made for you OP. After all your stated reason is to overcome a slight disability. I would hope Cryptic could and would make exceptions for situations like that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As much as I love this game it isn't worth a new keyboard just because I have to mash my space bar.

Get yourself a G11 or G15 and make yourself a toggle macro.

If they have a problem with it then they can either improve the auto-fire, contribute to my keyboard fund or prove it.

I have a friend that also has a disability that makes the space-bar mashing a no go. As long as your not bot-ing then it won't be a problem.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To the OP: I would think that rather than asking an opinion on the interwebz that you might actually call or submit a support request. Since you have a special physical need this should be something that you and cryptic can come to terms with.

Otherwise, you are getting opinions from non-authoritive sources. Ask the authoritive source and gain your accomodation.

Peace,

Myst
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To the OP: I would think that rather than asking an opinion on the interwebz that you might actually call or submit a support request. Since you have a special physical need this should be something that you and cryptic can come to terms with.

Otherwise, you are getting opinions from non-authoritive sources. Ask the authoritive source and gain your accomodation.

Peace,

Myst

I know, but before giving cryptic a poke I wondered if there had been an official ruling or if the knowledge base here knew one way or the other.

As I said Cryptic I suspect are a little busy right now. There's also the question of who in Cryptic do you address the query too? Billing, Tech or in Game support. None really seem to fit the right category.