test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Increased Capacity Coming Soon

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    There's no Q for NA people. I go right in... for some reason they are Qing people from EU

they now have 2 login servers one for NA one for EU

ahh another big non-eu company that hates europeans...I thought blizzard and ncsoft was the exception but obviously its not. Im sick and tired of being treated as the basterd son of a dog and second cousing to disease when it comes to companies....

Get EU to same level as US or get separat servers....stop treating americans like they are the salt of the earth
    edited February 2010
    I do wish people wouldn't speak out of ignorance.

I'm in the US and sitting at 648 in a queue.
    edited February 2010
    TheGigas wrote: »
    To all those whining and telling cryptic what they should have done and how easy it would have been; Have any of you actually worked on a server this large before? How many are actually talking out of experience instead of being arm chair video game critics?.

Frankly, I would like to hope that the answer to this is no and none. A company takes money for the provision of a service, it cannot meet that simple service and yet still believes it is entitled to the money. I don't really see that as a customer I have to appreciate their position or the complexities of providing a service that they designed and committed to providing. Its a simple relationship requiring nothing on my side apart from cash from my wallet, no understanding, no organising, no prior experience of video games, or anything. This is the nature of the relationship that cryptic wanted to enter into with me. Fan boys, network administrators, genuine klingons or anyone else that does not understand that, if you don't get the service you have paid for, your service partner is taking the ****, need not bore me any further.
    edited February 2010
    To all those whining and telling cryptic what they should have done and how easy it would have been; Have any of you actually worked on a server this large before? How many are actually talking out of experience instead of being arm chair video game critics?

Do you actually understand that increasing the server load is far more then just buying more servers? Cryptic cant just wave a wand and make the game better. There are limitation in the code base and hardware to overcome in situations like these.

Cryptic is doing a stellar job in response to these issues. If you think it could have been done better, get off your TRIBBLE and the world how its done. Otherwise, you have zero expertise on the matter. Reading Kotaku does not count.

By the way, EVE is what, in year 6? Ques were pretty bad for a while on the server until about a year ago. The big difference between STO and EVE is this, STO has near a million users already, EVE is at 600,000sh after 6 years. The turn out for the game was bigger then expected.

I tell you what, go out ab buy a new car, then when you get out of the car slot and the car suddenly refuses to start...do you blame a) the retailer b) the manufacturer or c) the fact that this car is popular among ppl.

They KNEW the onslaught was going to be owerwhelming, anyone claiming otherwise is naive. This is Star Trek we are talking about, it gots its own conventions of people. Its not Babylon 5 or even Red Dwarf. Its Star Trek.

as far as the server capacity goes, you claim its not a matter of getting hardware, yet the company says that ordered new servers and put a rush on it(same btw as AION said word for word, methinks the mmo companies are in league with eachother) so unless its hardware problem they sure as heck would not order new hardware and put it on rush now would they?

Sure Cryptic is doing their job in getting servers working and sure it takes a little bit of time but do not try and blow smoke up my behind and call it sunshine, they could have been better prepared, taken a little more time in beta to work out the server capacity issues, like having free beta testing would have draggen millions there and then theyd know how much their servers manage to do, not just estimate.
    edited February 2010
    There is no excuse for what is happening here. Atari/Cryptic knew how many pre-ordered. They knew the interest in the game was higher then expected. I see only one reason for this. Someplace within some office is an office weasel telling them you have your budget, your not getting anymore, I don't care how many people payed we cant go off budget. I have dealt with office weasels a number of times, and trust me they wield there power like a giant sword, (this is done as compensation for the lack of sexual prowess they demonstrate). The Dev's have done a great job so far, the game has a lot of promise and can be expanded into a great MMO, but so as long as the office weasel is there, well lets just say that someone with the title CEO had better do some weasel hunting. Why because you are stupid if you do not realize more people equals more money to pay for the upgrades. The office weasel will say we are sure to loose X amount of subscriptions so why pay to upgrade. Well the office weasel will see his prophecy come true by seeing that the money needed for the upgrades to see STO not loose subscriptions isn't there. The game wont die, but it will be seen as a company that dropped the ball at launch. And the weasel, he will be seen as a hero, because he was right and they lost all these subscriptions. So it would seem he kept them on budget. Its stupid math, but it is the only math an office weasel knows. All we can do is wait for the die off, and hope that enough of us stay to keep the game viable.:(
    edited February 2010
    Rojon wrote: »
    I do wish people wouldn't speak out of ignorance.

I'm in the US and sitting at 648 in a queue.

Try being in the cue for 40 minutes, then play for about 15, get kicked out of the server only to be landing in cue again...rinse and repeat the next 4 hours....or days...

they should put it like WoW has that if you get kicked out you have 5 minutes to log in and you pass the ques...
    edited February 2010
    ahh another big non-eu company that hates europeans...I thought blizzard and ncsoft was the exception but obviously its not. Im sick and tired of being treated as the basterd son of a dog and second cousing to disease when it comes to companies....

Get EU to same level as US or get separat servers....stop treating americans like they are the salt of the earth

Actually this is not the case. There are more EU subscribers than NA. Each login server is fair in letting same ammount of people in... it was in a dev IRC chat.. here is how they work:

Weekends = NA/EU have equal ammounts online... if either one exceeds that #.. that login server has a Q

WeekDAYS = during EU primetime, it lets more EU people in game vs NA
    WeekDAYS = duriing NA primetime, it lets more NA people in than EU

Eventually as capacity is raised and people quit, the Qs will go away

What's happening RIGHT NOW, is that it's the weekend, and there's far more EU people than NA trying to get in, so EU people are getting slapped with a Q.

The server is at it's LIMIT right now and on the verge of crashing. If they removed that Q and all 800-1000 people piled in, it would instantly crash. The Qs for NA and EU are needed to keep the servers as stable as possible until they are no longer needed
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    Eventually as capacity is raised and people quit, the Qs will go away

Amen to that, ppl will leave when game is no fun. no fun = ques and discs and crashes every so often...then Q back in wait time 40 minutes...
    edited February 2010
    I tell you what, go out ab buy a new car, then when you get out of the car slot and the car suddenly refuses to start...do you blame a) the retailer b) the manufacturer or c) the fact that this car is popular among ppl.

They KNEW the onslaught was going to be owerwhelming, anyone claiming otherwise is naive. This is Star Trek we are talking about, it gots its own conventions of people. Its not Babylon 5 or even Red Dwarf. Its Star Trek.

as far as the server capacity goes, you claim its not a matter of getting hardware, yet the company says that ordered new servers and put a rush on it(same btw as AION said word for word, methinks the mmo companies are in league with eachother) so unless its hardware problem they sure as heck would not order new hardware and put it on rush now would they?

Sure Cryptic is doing their job in getting servers working and sure it takes a little bit of time but do not try and blow smoke up my behind and call it sunshine, they could have been better prepared, taken a little more time in beta to work out the server capacity issues, like having free beta testing would have draggen millions there and then theyd know how much their servers manage to do, not just estimate.

No they couldn't have. They knew how many pre orders they had and scaled appropriately.. and even beyond the industry standard

1) the INDUSTRY standard says NO MORE than 1/6th of the TOTAL player base in any MAJOR mmo will be on at the same time

2) they prepaired for actually more than that.. but what they GOT was about 2/3rds

3) You can't fix something like that in a day or a week.. It takes SEVERAL weeks to get in new HW, get the SW installed, and then integrate it into the server clusters.

4) They have been doing just that.. getting more HW and fixing SW issues, but people are slamming into the game faster than they can keep up

So you can't compare an MMO to a car. A car also has a warranty.. an MMO does NOT.. if you read ANY mmo's EULA.. it says it does not promise a 100% uptime, bug free experience.
    edited February 2010
    Tagga-STO wrote:
    I tried this and it worked. Is this so called queue just a made up thing? If it was real you wouldn't be able to bypass it so easily.

That's right. Wish more people would try it who are in queue.

CANCEL LOGIN IF IN QUE.

RETRY LOGIN.

DOESN'T TAKE MANY TRIES - YOU WILL GET RIGHT IN.
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    So you can't compare an MMO to a car. A car also has a warranty.. an MMO does NOT.. if you read ANY mmo's EULA.. it says it does not promise a 100% uptime, bug free experience.

However a EULA can be challenged in a court of law by the question of how much time can one expect to get to play. if a company drops the ball and the game time is to low then yes they are deemed liable and will have to refund any money since the game is then not following up to the contract signed between the user and the company. Its just a matter of filing a class action suite against that company and you can see they get their TRIBBLE in gear faster than a greased lawyer....
    edited February 2010
    To all those whining and telling cryptic what they should have done and how easy it would have been; Have any of you actually worked on a server this large before? How many are actually talking out of experience instead of being arm chair video game critics?

Do you actually understand that increasing the server load is far more then just buying more servers? Cryptic cant just wave a wand and make the game better. There are limitation in the code base and hardware to overcome in situations like these.

Cryptic is doing a stellar job in response to these issues. If you think it could have been done better, get off your TRIBBLE and the world how its done. Otherwise, you have zero expertise on the matter. Reading Kotaku does not count.

By the way, EVE is what, in year 6? Ques were pretty bad for a while on the server until about a year ago. The big difference between STO and EVE is this, STO has near a million users already, EVE is at 600,000sh after 6 years. The turn out for the game was bigger then expected.

while this is a nice explanation and all, it doesn't cover that I've paid money to play this game. As a consumer, it doesn't matter what the problems are, you have my money, now fix it and quickly.
    edited February 2010
    All I know is, if at the end of a month, they don't have their problems worked out, I will go right back to WoW and not even look back. Just a wasted $50. Better that than a continuous TRIBBLE:mad:
    edited February 2010
    Rekhan wrote:
    A note from the team about some upcoming changes to get you in-game more easily, more often.

Link to the news article.

More often??? It had better be whenever I want to get on, not more often.
    edited February 2010
    kutocer wrote: »
    http://www.n4g.com/pc/News-471667.aspx and click the link LOL

Kut...

I thought that was actual news just then, then I clicked on the link and LOL'D then thought, hang on, we've been conned.:mad::mad::mad:
    edited February 2010
    Waited in queue for an hour get in play 10 mins get disconected while loading. Reapeated this a couple of times with different wait times in queue.

What I really would like to know is this. How can there not be a large enough capcity if the number of pre-orders and subscriptions was known.

If things keep on like this and people get past thier free 30 days Cryptic is going to loose money big time. Who wants to pay to sit in queue then connect for 10-20mins and get dumped back into the queue.
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    There's no Q for NA people. I go right in... for some reason they are Qing people from EU

they now have 2 login servers one for NA one for EU

um there is a Q if u live in NA too. cuz i'm sittin in it right now.
    edited February 2010
    600 cues waits, 2-3 hour maintence periods nearly daily and countless unscheduled crashes daily questions if the game ready to be paid for.

Help us if it's already been expanded and fixed.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I've started pay to play ...not wait.

My money was sucked out of my bank accout for the client and I have paid for atleast one month. All mmpogs I've done atleast has 1mo free.

There are expectations and standards to be met and liability for a quality product and access.

It's not like StarTrek is a franchise and has a 40yr cult following.

$.02
    edited February 2010
    ponderance wrote: »
    That's right. Wish more people would try it who are in queue.

CANCEL LOGIN IF IN QUE.

RETRY LOGIN.

DOESN'T TAKE MANY TRIES - YOU WILL GET RIGHT IN.

OK, I thought I had just got pranked, but it really does work. Was 600 something in queue. Canceled. Was then 800 something. Damn. Canceled. Tried again and then logged right in.

Queue. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I have no idea what you think it means. I'm not complaining, but I don't think you understand it.
    edited February 2010
    I think its a funny joke for Cryptic they want do the update on the servers this weekend but in the Weekend ist over. And what have they done ??? I have Disconnects lags more the the last days its not better its worser.

Good work Cryptic many people dont want to play on this situation.
    edited February 2010
    this seems more like a virtual visit to the DMV. You can put money on the fact that at the end of the 30 day trial period if i'm still waiting in line to play a game i'm paying for, Cryptic will be waiting indefinatly for me to invest any further funds into this project. Hope y'all can 'git er done'

Ferret
    edited February 2010
    However a EULA can be challenged in a court of law by the question of how much time can one expect to get to play. if a company drops the ball and the game time is to low then yes they are deemed liable and will have to refund any money since the game is then not following up to the contract signed between the user and the company. Its just a matter of filing a class action suite against that company and you can see they get their TRIBBLE in gear faster than a greased lawyer....

LOL I've never once seen a MMO company loose and had to pay compensation in the USA eheheheh

And if if taken to court.. u sue for what? $50? it would b laughable.
    edited February 2010
    Lol... I tried to login to the game but I'm in the queue. At this rate I'm moving up the queue about 100 spots per 10 mins... Should be about 70 mins until I can login... Though I gotta goto work in 60 mins... Dough...

I'm gonna sue!!!!

Ha ha lol... no really it makes me at least laugh as I see these class action law suits for what? Your $16 /mon and a $50 game purchase. Lol, you're going to sue and make a big scene for $66?

And you newbs who bought the lifetime... You bought something for a few hundred $ before you even had a chance to test it as it was released... For shame lol, buyer beware on that one.

Anyways, that's my little rant.
    edited February 2010
    Wildish wrote: »
    600 cues waits, 2-3 hour maintence periods nearly daily and countless unscheduled crashes daily questions if the game ready to be paid for.

Help us if it's already been expanded and fixed.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I've started pay to play ...not wait.

My money was sucked out of my bank accout for the client and I have paid for atleast one month. All mmpogs I've done atleast has 1mo free.

There are expectations and standards to be met and liability for a quality product and access.

It's not like StarTrek is a franchise and has a 40yr cult following.

$.02

Give me a break... all major mmos are like this the first 2 weeks.
    edited February 2010
    Took me an hour to get in last night. Looks to me taking about the same amount of time today. I thought there was supposed to be extra capacity by this weekend. Well, it's Sunday evening EST and still a 800 long login queue. At least I didn't get kicked when I got in last night. Played for about 3 hours.
    edited February 2010
    How about some clarification about how the queue works. I was logged in up until about 10 minutes ago. At that time someone in my fleet said '45 queue btw'. And other people started to say how they got right in. They weren't all from North America or Europe or had life time subscriptions.

So, I logged out seeing that most everyone was not reporting a queue. Though some were saying they were in queue for a very long time. When I try to log back in, there is a queue of over 800. So, wtf?

Why are some people able to jump the queue?
    edited February 2010
    I'd just like to point out, that I have just tried to log on fifty times.

Out of those fifty, I got online 11 times and each time the server lagged so badly it eventually kicked me off.

So apparently this situation was to be resolved by the end of this weekend.

I see no such resolution, nor do I see an apology for the problems we are having.

I mean come one guys, we each pay to play this game, not sit around and wait to get online in a queue that goes no where for 40 minutes and then kicked and have to queue again.

Apparently the downtime was to allow more gamers online more often.

WE DON'T WANT MORE OFTEN, WE WANT WHENEVER WE FEEL LIKE IT!!!

This whole weekend in regards to this issue is full of fail.
    edited February 2010
    And what all player want is an answer from Cryptic about this topical theme.
    edited February 2010
    Well I will say i am already fed up with being in the middle of an instance almost completing it and then geting booted! Cryptic WTF why did you not listen to your beta users? You have a world wide 40yr cult following for the ST francise?!?!?!? There are fan who have never played a video game in there lives that are going to play this just because it's ST!!!! When I plan any project I alway work in at least a 30-40% contingency I wonder if you did the same. It is quite obvious. I am disappointed but I know that there is nothing I can do. Hopefully the boys over at bioware are taking notes for the Star Wars MMO.
    edited February 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    LOL I've never once seen a MMO company loose and had to pay compensation in the USA eheheheh

And if if taken to court.. u sue for what? $50? it would b laughable.

Actually a class action law suit, if done properly with lawyer or firm of any weight (meaning they have to think it would work) could essentially cripple Cryptic, and we are talking millions of dollars. However, you signed your life away when you registered for the game. These evil corporations aren't stupid you know.