test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fauna to the Flora

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Small thing I guess considering the major woes of this game, but where is the wildlife on the planets?

I mean if a planet has evolved to the point of beautiful and elaborate Flora(vegatation)how come no Fauna(wildlife)evolved with it?

The planets are so sterile and lonely feeling. There is a huge lack of ambience and atmosphere on them.
Again I see another aspect of rushing a game to market.

Why no cities and or towns? Why can't there be "hubs" on planets where we land and do our merchandizing for a change of pace?
And I don't mean like Memory Alpha. where you just wander around one enclosed building.

Developing the ground aspect of STO would go along way to giving this game another reason for subscribing.

At least un load the Ark and let the animals loose.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    To put it simply, the toolset which Cryptic used to make STO is old-hat and does not allow for such things. Thats also the reason we play on small tile-like maps with no expansive feel. Prety lame for a game in 2010.
    edited February 2010
    Kee-Bhor wrote: »
    To put it simply, the toolset which Cryptic used to make STO is old-hat and does not allow for such things. Thats also the reason we play on small tile-like maps with no expansive feel. Prety lame for a game in 2010.

/signed =)
    edited February 2010
    Well I think they are all hiding :rolleyes: after all ould you pop your head out if 5 people just appeared out of thin air armed with 3 foot long disruptor rifles?
    edited February 2010
    Kee-Bhor wrote: »

why does it not allow it?

an animal could simply be another "enemy" but set to friendly / non attackable like a roaming NPC in sol station or something..so that excuse doesn't jive with me
    edited February 2010
    Intrepidox wrote: »
    why does it not allow it?

an animal could simply be another "enemy" but set to friendly / non attackable like a roaming NPC in sol station or something..so that excuse doesn't jive with me

It's the same restrictive generic toolset they used for City of Heroes.

You ever saw any fauna in that game? :rolleyes:

You saw any fauna in Champions Online? :rolleyes:

Now.... do you see any fauna in STO? :rolleyes:
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I think it's more a case of the game being rushed out in a bare bones state rather than Cryptic's engine not allowing animals. They managed to have Targs in game, so I'm sure it can handle rendering a few more animals.

Give it 6 months to a year for them to add some meat to the bones.
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, that excuse doesn't work I'm afraid. If you can place humanoids, you can place animals-whatever

I really do believe its a case of rush to market.

That expansive feel the old MMORPG's use to give is gone I'm afraid. The days of compartmentalizing and instancing is in.

Its this hybrid genre now that I call, FPSMMO...Taking some elements of MMO's and mixing them with the genre of first person shooters.

You end up with a game that really isn't good at either.

I use to like MMO's for the suspension of disbelief they brought me for a couple of hours a day....
    You know, a little break from the every day stresses. Not an escape, just a break.

Today's MMO's, especially Cryptics, don't do anything to suspend disbelief.
    They're so wrapped up in combat that the feeling of belonging to a persistant, growing world is no where to be found.

Just bang bang shoot em up. People talk more about numbers than they do about character encounters they've had.

The MMO market needs help.
This discussion has been closed.