test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Surprise! Cryptic/Atari withheld two races for Paid DLC at launch.

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Really everyone, at the end of the day, these people (Cryptic) are making a product - to sell to us- so they can all have jobs - that make money - and then feed, dress, and school themselves and their children.

Yeah that might be a little pie-in-the-sky :cool:

But no one MADE you buy it. No one MAKES you play it.

An analogy for all of you who have gripes about "this-or-that" feature not being free:

If a baker makes the cookies, doesn't he get to decide how many chocolate chips to mix in? Isn't it his RIGHT to offer you additional chocolate chips later to "improve" the cookies you already bought?

Yes, yes it is.

End of arguement.
    edited February 2010
    thevedis wrote: »
    1000 replies
    of which 950 were the same 4-5 people arging/discussing

most threads this big are not individuals but rather a few people arguing back and forth saying the same thing for 100+ posts each

Lord Vader is right.
    edited February 2010
    CivilPhil wrote:
    Really everyone, at the end of the day, these people (Cryptic) are making a product - to sell to us- so they can all have jobs - that make money - and then feed, dress, and school themselves and their children.

Yeah that might be a little pie-in-the-sky :cool:

But no one MADE you buy it. No one MAKES you play it.

An analogy for all of you who have gripes about "this-or-that" feature not being free:

If a baker makes the cookies, doesn't he get to decide how many chocolate chips to mix in? Isn't it his RIGHT to offer you additional chocolate chips later to "improve" the cookies you already bought?

Yes, yes it is.

End of arguement.

if that baker doesnt use at least 53 chips per cookie, hes ripping me off! :)
    edited February 2010
    if that baker doesnt use at least 53 chips per cookie, hes ripping me off! :)

maybe YOU settle for 53, i expect 55 and rainbow sprinkles. And if he has any cinimon or powdered sugar i better get those free too!
    edited February 2010
    nekollx wrote: »
    maybe YOU settle for 53, i expect 55 and rainbow sprinkles. And if he has any cinimon or powdered sugar i better get those free too!

damn straight
    and he better compliment my eyes, or im calling the BBB on him and telling on him for being a meany
    edited February 2010
    They said the C-Store would be available at launch. Did you expect incomplete content for sale on there?

Oh no.. they gave us 15 species at the start of the game... how DARE THEY charge us around USD $3 to use two other races (which you could purchase virtually for free if you pre-ordered).
    edited February 2010
    Oh no.. they gave us 15 species at the start of the game... how DARE THEY charge us around USD $3 to use two other races (which you could purchase virtually for free if you pre-ordered).

and 1 of which already has its own faction, which is also free
    edited February 2010
    and 1 of which already has its own faction, which is also free

and the other one's only federation menber was riduculed by his entire species, THOSE FIEndS!
    edited February 2010
    The problem with the cookie scenario is that it has little in relation to the STO situation being 'discussed' (And I use the term loosely).

Most people with no problem with DLC posting here, seem to have no problem with such because they understand that development cost money.

Yet, more often than not monthly subscriptions can and will support the development process of a MMO post-launch (heck, it's been working for MMOs for a decade at least) providing that costs were controlled during development, developers didn't spend unneeded money, and publishers were not misled to believe that throwing large sums of money blindly at the developers was the best way to manage their investment.

To me, additional sources of income outside of premium subscription rates and £30-40 purchases are only really needed if:

* The developers really played the publishers for fools and sucked every penny they could even when not needed, just so they could play around with concepts they didn't really expect to fully implement, so the publishers push for development house to push some content as additional purchase to help their investment coverage right off the bat.

* The publishers had zero sense when it came to planning their marketing schedules, making retailer deals they couldn't really afford to, throwing unneccisary money at developers under the misconception that 'Cash = Shortened time whilst retaining quality'. So have to turn to getting the developers to implement DLC shops alongside monthly subscriptions and £30-40 purchases, to cover their investment as soon as possible because otherwise they would find themselves forever in the red.

* Neither the developers or the publisher expect much activity from their title in 6 months time, so are aiming to milk the title as much as possible with the initial pre-order and launch week sales and casual interest players before they all leave for their next messiah MMO, leaving only the players there for the game itself which due to uncontroled spending is not sufficient to keep publishers happy and continuing their support.

* The publishers have made DLC a business model for all titles they publish out of some belief of maximising income, and insist all development houses producing games using licenses owned by the publisher must have DLC content right off the bat with a xx month rough plan of additional DLC after launch, to be submitted pre-launch for publisher review and agreement to keep additional income flowing for the publishers. <<< I am going with this one for this title personally, for reasons I think many will at least be aware of, even if they don't agree with the conclusion

I think quite often, people do forget that developers are very rarely independent teams anymore that can do what they wish how they wish.

For starters, during development I find it hard to believe that anything more than a little of the developers own cash is thrown into creating the game. Instead publishers and other investment group will likely foot the funds on the understanding that they receive a rather sizeable chunk of pre-sale and post-sale income. (In all forms that income involves.)

With this in mind, the chances of things like DLC being purely in control of developers is very unlikely, and it is much more likely that the development team are bound by some agreement they signed in order to get handed the rights to make the game in the first place.
    edited February 2010
    They cost like a buck. It seems more like a test of the c-store than anything.

Besides, what is more perfect than making people pay for a ferengi? Anyone who wanted to play a ferengi would understand that.
    edited February 2010
    They cost like a buck. It seems more like a test of the c-store than anything.

Besides, what is more perfect than making people pay for a ferengi? Anyone who wanted to play a ferengi would understand that.

I acknowledge that it's ironic.
    edited February 2010
    Jaime wrote:
    I acknowledge that it's ironic.

I acknowledge that it is ironic as well, even moreso since the Ferengi are apparently less valuable than the Klingon.
    edited February 2010
    Jeronas wrote:
    It's because of people like you, that keep throwing money at companies like these and accept bad shady bussiness practices, that the MMO genre is going to hell. :mad:

I don't know whats so bad and shady about any of the practices that Cryptic has employed. They have been up front regarding how the game and the c-store works. If you don't like it.. then don't buy the game and stop ur *****ing!!
    edited February 2010
    Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
    edited February 2010
    The fact that the klingon and the ferengi are different prices is the truely priceless part. That means someone had to go into the demographics data and figure out how much more valuable the klingon was versus the ferengi. That must have been an amusing meeting.
    edited February 2010
    I am fine with Cryptic using this model, got 5 of my friends into STO including my wife and we haven't had so much fun in an mmo for along time.

Its all about choice, they don't force you to buy them and being a klingon or ferengi in the federation should be damn rare so kudos to them for doing it this way.
    edited February 2010
    I wasn't thrilled about having to pay $6.25 on top of the other $360 I've already spent on this game, but the irony was not lost on me. As you can see, I am happily playing my Ferengi. I just wish it had been in for the headstart so I didn't waste time on another officer.
    edited February 2010
    First of all to you folks complaining about having to purchase the 2 races QUIT WHINING. You want a klingon then make a klingon character.

I mean come on squeezing money? No one said you HAVE to buy criptic points and second for you lifetime people. Oh no! play the game for a year and you made your money back. The money you save with the lifetime can be used to buy the 2 races.

As for us monthly sub people yeah its an additonial cost we would have to pay but again ITS AN OPTION. EQ2 does it with eq coins. Wow does it with Character transfers and Gender changes yet I don't see anyone complaining about those,

I have played alot of MMO's and almost all of them have micro transactions so before you whine and complain do your damn research.
    edited February 2010
    eh.... wasn't most of the stuff in the champions store obtainable thru ingame actions as well? Minus the special action figures. Id assume there is a way to unlock these 2 playable races without paying as well.

I also wouldnt call the micro transactions that cryptic does very bad at all. If you want to see bad micro transactions, go play star wars galaxies. Where you have to spend 100's of dollars on decks of cards for a stupid lame trading card game. That item that you've always wanted finally was added to starwars galaxies but you gotta spend 100's of dollars for a CHANCE to get it. Since the cards you buy aren't guaranteed to even have the said item that you want. Atleast here you get the items you pay for and don't have to play yet another lottery....
    edited February 2010
    noyjitat wrote: »
    eh.... wasn't most of the stuff in the champions store obtainable thru ingame actions as well? Minus the special action figures. Id assume there is a way to unlock these 2 playable races without paying as well.

I also wouldnt call the micro transactions that cryptic does very bad at all. If you want to see bad micro transactions, go play star wars galaxies. Where you have to spend 100's of dollars on decks of cards for a stupid lame trading card game. That item that you've always wanted finally was added to starwars galaxies but you gotta spend 100's of dollars for a CHANCE to get it. Since the cards you buy aren't guaranteed to even have the said item that you want. Atleast here you get the items you pay for and don't have to play yet another lottery....

i know you can get a Klingon BO using one of the mission arcs, got one just a couple nights ago, they are also sold in the sol store (and ferengi) but dunno if the store BOS are cause i have the player races. in OB the quest Klingon though wore Klingon not fed clothes, mine wears fed clothes.

And yeah, Klongon Players are unlockable at level 6, as a ENTIRE FACTION

it's not like you cant play a klingon unless you play, just not the BLOOD TRAITORS KILLING THEIR KIN
    edited February 2010
    uhh who cares? they are just skins basically...
    edited February 2010
    Thank you for necroing a thread that had nothing to do with Death Penalties or Free month rage. Gave me something different to look at. :rolleyes:
    edited February 2010
    Hey personae, how ya been?

-np
    edited February 2010
    Hey personae, how ya been?

-np

Pretty good, NP. Same old thing, different forum.;)
    edited February 2010
    old news get over it
    edited February 2010
    Obvious Necro Troll is Obvious.
    edited February 2010
    But I like this thread.

The free survey store points cheered me up though.
    edited February 2010
    Plus I can add something at least partially new. The main complaint here was that one had to pay extra to unlock those two races.

However, if you take the customer survey with your account, you receive 240 Cryptic Points for free - enough to unlock at least one of the two races without throwing any real money at them.
    edited October 2010
    i bet they will charge money for new factions they will bring out too

ps the gave crappy uniforms to start with and now charging for the ones yousee in the episodes and movies
    edited October 2010
    HOLY HELL NECRO OF DOOM!!! Get back in your grave you foul undead fiend!

Oh and no s**t Sherlock... Every other game charges for when they add new factions, usually in the form of an expansion pack, why shouldn't Cryptic. Great reason to ressurect an 8 month old thread...
This discussion has been closed.