test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestions needed on Graphics Cards

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hi All,

Before I start I'd like to mention that yes, I have read over a lot of the threads regarding overheating and whatnot. But the information in there is not exactly what I'm after.

I have a chassis that was designed for sound suppression, not cooling, and my 9800GTX+ was running at 105C at the lowest settings. After reading the other threads I learned about the /maxfps setting. That brought my temps down by about 25 degrees, however, it still gradually climbs to about 95C, with settings at "recommended".

In the other threads I noticed a lot of people were having problems with the 9800 models, and others with similarly priced/configured cards are experiencing minimal problems.

I've actually opened my chassis and put a house fan directly on the card, which keeps my temps between 60-80C with 20-60% fan speed. However, even at that point I've been noticing a ton of graphical lag, especially on ground missions and at space stations especially. I turned the shadows all the way off, and put the antialiasing down to 2x, which helped for a few days, but now I'm back to lag. I'm pretty sure it's graphics lag, and not server or network related.

Since I plan on playing this game indefinitely, and have cancelled my subscription to the other games I had been playing (in years of anticipation for STO being released), I'm considering shelling out some (more) cash for a new chassis, a better cooling system, and a new graphic card. The cooling I can handle, but I need some feedback on the graphics card.

I'm considering spending anywhere between $200 to $300 for an upgrade, but I'd like to get some feedback from other players who have a card in that price range, are playing with the game on the highest graphics settings, and are still seeing decent temperatures and performance. From the flashes of the game I've seen on high settings it looks amazing, and I'd really like to play that way.

I assume if you've got a card in that price range on max settings with no problems I can do the same. Otherwise I'm going to start collecting rabbits feet and four leaf clovers and see if that does the trick.

Thanks very much in advance!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Shameless bump. But seriously? No one can just give me one sentence.. "I'm using X card at max settings and have no problems either thermal or performance wise?" Granted I know the thermal issue will be due to cooling, which I'm planning to have covered.