test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Joystick and Gamepad from OS (installed and calibrated devices)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Controls and User Interface
Just in case those of us are posting in the wrong area. I found no threads on this in "PC & Technical Issues", so I created a thread there. Who ever wants this support native to the game please post threads there also. Hopelfully, someone will pay attention.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1918642&postcount=1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I know, I can remap to a key, or even a single mouse button. I am always turning in battle.

Joystick would be awesome. a more 'non-carpal-tunnel' mouse solution would be acceptable.

If it is the mouse solution, what I suggest is have a tick box where those of us who want to do a full time mouse look in space and have it automatically turn the ship can use a mapped key to turn the camera without turning the ship. All functionality stays the same, but the lesser used function is the one that requires extra fine muscle input. Think of all the muscle/nerve damage that would be averted. Might even prevent a lawsuit or allow your lawyers to say, "We provided an alternative that doesn't damage the users."

Personally, I think if you did invert the turn to view key into a turn camera key, most people would choose it.

My hand aches after a few hours of space battles. -Edit- Plus, now I have a keyboard key, but I find myself holding that key down all the time. Even with a gaming keyboard, I can't use my special keys because they're too far from my 'turning' key.

Hard enough to hit (1, ctrl+1, or alt+1, etc) while using the arrow keys to do shields and turning with the mouse AND holding down the G key (available key, chosen to turn the ship instead of left-mouse+right-mouse+drag).

Mouse-look on and off with T is fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    With a joystick, complete with about 8 keys and a throttle, you could fly with one hand and control the shields and weapons and stuff with the other. Truly the elegant solution.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bryn_Alesy wrote:
    With a joystick, complete with about 8 keys and a throttle, you could fly with one hand and control the shields and weapons and stuff with the other. Truly the elegant solution.

Bryn,
    Here's my other posts, where I describe how I got my old Logitech Wingman Extreme to work with this game:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1916708&postcount=76

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1901390&postcount=1

The Wingman, which Windows 7 detected and installed without a hitch, works just fine in Star Trek: Legacy. In that game, you can use a keyboard and mouse, but the prefered method is a flightstick and a mouse. All you should have to do is go to the Windows Control Panel and calibrate the stick.
    Good luck...