What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Some names just ain't funny

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Would you be offended at my name too? lol If I remember TNG shows, especially during the borg confrontations, there was a mention of USS Brommann, do you know BROMMANN is one of the Tank Aces during WW2 who commanded the Konigstiger tanks. King Tiger was mostly feared by all allies. Are you going to be offended when people from Germany, especially those with German name, play this game? I think the only person who's upset is the very same person who believes there's a conspiracies or some fascist ideas and reading too deep into them. Let kids name whatever they want. You're only making them enjoy making you more upset.

If you are to keep Star Trek true to your character then you shouldn't even be bothered by any prejudices. Hope you grow out of it.

Good luck and enjoy STO
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ziktur wrote: »
    People just need to stop being so mentally spavined to be offended by silliness as such as this. I am glad nothing ever offends me.

Even though I care a bit less about these people I can understand if a Trekki is ****ed off by them. I´m not a RPG guy myself but I sure as **** try to respect the people who want a decent Star Trek feeling in the game wich is seriously ****ed with when a fleet with names like "TRIBBLE and Dork" comes around the corner.

That´s why different servers weren´t such a bad idea.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Would you be offended at my name too? lol If I remember TNG shows, especially during the borg confrontations, there was a mention of USS Brommann, do you know BROMMANN is one of the Tank Aces during WW2 who commanded the Konigstiger tanks. King Tiger was mostly feared by all allies. Are you going to be offended when people from Germany, especially those with German name, play this game? I think the only person who's upset is the very same person who believes there's a conspiracies or some fascist ideas and reading too deep into them. Let kids name whatever they want. You're only making them enjoy making you more upset.

If you are to keep Star Trek true to your character then you shouldn't even be bothered by any prejudices. Hope you grow out of it.

Good luck and enjoy STO

Mostly, I agree.
    If some fool want to be regarded by a presentation of stupidity and simple mindedness, who are we to keep them from it? Everybody goes by the label he deserves. If it's silly, so be it. Sneer, shrug and move on.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think it not very problematic to accept historical figures as ship names...

Just to play devil's advocate here, so is naming a ship Robert Pickton, Mohamed Atta, Pedro L
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Svensson wrote: »
    The German Chancellor. But there had been a Bismarck in commission in the various German navies from 1877 to 1941.

When I was a kid in the US Army (about 1983) in Germany when I met (former Leutnant zur See) Baron von Mullenheim-Rechberg. He was just a nice old guy who visited my squadron commander in Fulda. The Sargeant Major told me one day that he was the highest ranking survivor of the Bismarck (1941 version). I've been interested in the battle and military history generally since.

But the ship name Bismarck has also appears in Star Trek novels and in any event isn't racist or offensive. A German name isn't any more fascist than a Russian name is Communist.

My problem is that specific names ARE racist and /or offensive and need to get squashed immediately.

LCMR KE Lindemann
    Captain
    USS Bismarck, 91941
    Battle Squadron 11

Off topic:
    Fulda Gap, and your ship is in Battle Squadron 11? I take it you were in the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment at some point.

On topic:

Some names only have negative conotations if you give them such. Whereas we in the US have no issue naming a ship USS George Washington, many Native Americans of Iroqouis decent might take issue, being it was Washington during the Revolution that ordered the destruction of the Iroqouis Confederacy (or atleast those elements supporting the British). Some may take issue with the name Rommel for example, but I know of one story of an APC crew with his picture in thier vehicle (funny story behind that).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wonder if the guys who keep putting up fascist names on their captains /accounts /ships understand that it ain't funny.

I'm talking to you, @shutzstaffel, and the knucklehead who is in charge of the USS Kempei Tai [WWII era Japanese Secret Police]... The guy who named his ship 'USS Reichsadler' is kind of on the bubble. I don't honestly know if the black German Prussian Eagle is the Bundesadler or Reichsadler anymore. Oh, and the TRIBBLE names are *hysterical*.... the USS Bukkake, for example.

You know, most of the time I'm not a crank about fanboy names. I don't care if somebody names himself some leet-speek spin of Anakin, Legolas, or Drizzt. I'm a gamer. Been a gamer since the Commodore 64 and DnD was sold as a box of paperbacks. Just because I've got my own vision of what I want STO to be doesn't mean that others don't have another idea. More importantly, their money spends just as good as mine does and Cryptic needs both to make this game everything it could be.

But i don't think that neo-fascist-TRIBBLE is really what Star Trek is about.

So, I guess I'll just keep reporting you. And I'll keep calling you out as a racist idiot in zone chat and encouraging others to same.

LCMR KE Lindemann
    Captain
    USS Bismarck NCC 91941
    Battle Squadron 11

Maybe they just like the names. Reichsadler has a history that pre-dates the TRIBBLE's and isn't as intertwined with the fascists as something like the swastika would be, and Bundesadler is just a coat of arms, afaik. And, wtf, Prussian Eagle has nothing to do with TRIBBLE at all. It has to do with Prussia, which didn't even exist in the 1930's. Kempei Tai wasn't a secret police. It was the military police in Japan well before WWII. The TRIBBLE names are less defensible.

It's not like they're calling the ships U.S.S. Hitler, captained by Lt. Cmdr. Mussolini.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Some of you people have way too much time on your hands. Rather than enjoying the game you're whining about other people's names? Do you not have enough to do in game, you have to ***** about people's choice in ship / character names, seriously?

According to Wikipedia, the "Kempeitai" were the Military Police in the Imperial Japanese Army. The term "Japanese Gestapo" was apparently Allied propoganda - of which both sides were guilty of.

As for the "Rommel" name, again I have no issues with that. Erwin Rommel (or "Desert Fox" as he was known) was a highly decorated officer in the German armed forces. While I'm British, this doesn't mean I'm dead against German's who fought against us in either of the wars. In fact Rommel joined the conspiracy against Adolf Hitler. Some more information on him...

"Soldiers captured during his Africa campaign were reported to have been treated humanely; furthermore, he ignored orders to kill captured Jewish soldiers and civilians in all theaters of his command".

"Popular stories of his chivalry and tactical prowess earned him the respect of many opponents, including Claude Auchinleck, Winston Churchill, George S. Patton, and Bernard Montgomery (who named a dog after him). Rommel, for his part, was complimentary towards and respectful of his foes".

"The Afrika Korps were never accused of any war crimes, and Rommel himself referred to the fighting in North Africa as Krieg ohne Hass—war without hate. Numerous examples exist of Rommel's chivalry towards Allied POWs, such as his defiance of Hitler's infamous Commando Order following the capture of Lt. Roy Woodridge and Lt. George Lane as part of Operation Fortitude, as well as his refusal to comply with an order from Hitler to execute Jewish POWs. During Rommel's time in France, Hitler ordered him to deport the Jews in France; Rommel disobeyed the order. Several times he wrote letters protesting the treatment of the Jews. When British Major Geoffrey Keyes was killed during a failed commando raid to kill or capture Rommel behind German lines, Rommel ordered him buried with full military honours. Also, during the construction of the Atlantic Wall, Rommel directed that French workers were not to be used as slaves but were to be paid for their labour."

To be honest, all this talk of names in game is just nonsense. While I've chosen a rather normal sounding name "USS Echelon", I don't have any issues with people who choose a "risqué" name. Stop being so politically correct. If it offends you, then you have no business playing online games IMO. I'm also debating whether the Internet is actually the best place to spend your leisure activities as no doubt everything would offend you.

GET A GRIP!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DarkZenith wrote: »
    Watch out, the PC brigade will bust down your door, and drag you off to some unspeakable punishment.

PC idiots are mostly just ridiculed and pitied nowadays. The "permanently offended" and the race hucksters are just a bunch of clowns, not to be taken seriously.

But lucky for them, they get a new batch of impressionable youth at the universities each year to brainwash into becoming offended by the evil names of cartoon spaceships in video games.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think, most of you guys don't see why some ppl might be offended by names like "Reichsadler" or "Schutzstaffel".
    I don't know, how it's "out there" meaning, outside Germany, but here in Germany, you get stuffed up with "The bad evil TRIBBLE were very bad men, and you must NEVER EVER use anything connected to them AT ALL!" for almost 10 years at school, with advancing intensity.
    So that we NEVER EVER connect ourselfs to that bad bit of history back there. Also, as a german, it's next to impossible, to talk about "races" in any way withought getting strange looks or someone stare at you mad, with this "TRIBBLE!"-accusation in their eyes.

This goes so far, that the TOS episode "Patterns of Force" wasn't even allowed to be aired in Germany.

You see, we get told, that ths 3rd Reich stuff is very very bad and an absolute no-go. So if we see ppl running araound in the "USS Himmler" or something like that, we get uneasy.
    In the long run, you can call that, it offends us, so it's a reason for reporting, if you bother spending the time to do so. Even if the guy using it, maybe some amarican history-fan, who just likes the ring of the name.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So I suppose Commander Rokh C. Freddy of USS Rodox is out of discussion..
    Oh wait...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think, most of you guys don't see why some ppl might be offended by names like "Reichsadler" or "Schutzstaffel".

Not even remotely true.

Schutzstaffel=probably offensive.

Reichsadler=Not so much.

U.S.S. Dachau=possibly offensive.

U.S.S. Nuremberg=Not so much.

It's subjective, but you need a cutoff somewhere. Saying omg german words /report /report is just goofy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    WooShoo wrote: »
    Every time I see a complaint like this, it makes me want to get a bunch of people together to report someone's typically innocent, unoffensive name. If something like the USS Gestapo or someone named Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti offends you, grow up and grow some thicker skin. There are names that are truly offensive, and then there are people who just have their little world infrineged upon by something pulled from history. I wonder just how many people knew the references for the names the OP listed (and then how many were so offended that it would stop them from playing this game).

Having worked in the MMO industry, I've seen this type of thing taken to a ridiculous degree. An example: a management meeting to consider blocking angellic names (you know, like Michael, Gabriel...) because enough people claimed they were "offended" by the Christian overtones.

Thankfully, people with either common sense or thick skin (or maybe just from New York) were at this meeting, cause it was shot down very quickly, but did lead to a rethinking of what would be considered offensive names from then on.

I know that I am in the minority on this, but I still can't help thinking "Are you serious?" everytime I see one of these complaints. We either need very, very strict naming policies or none at all... or maybe people need to just lighten up.

There ya go.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    Not even remotely true.

It's subjective, but you need a cutoff somewhere. Saying omg german words /report /report is just goofy.

Did you even bother to read the rest of my post?

(It's not about 'German words', just to mention. That indeed would be redicolous. Hm I'd have to report everything I write in my own language hmm lol )
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wonder what is most Fascistic ???

Letting people name their ships or character after real persons or ships or acctually forcing Your opinions on them and forbid them ???

Sure I might not like them either but I also respect freedom of choice and opinions.

For example would You mind if I named my Ship USS Che Guevara ??? Just because US saw him as a Terrorist, was he really ??? Yes I do get the irony of US and Che Guevara in the same name. :rolleyes:

If I name my ship Lenin or Trotskij would that be wrong just because they werent Capitalsts from USA but Communists ??? Oh wait this is Star Trek where we acctually work as a together federation, hmmm. Maybe time to set aside old values and differences ???

Isn't naming a ship USS McArthur just as offensive then ??? His politics and Communist fears surely ruined the life of many during the Fear The Red era.

Maybe You shouldn't play STO, Oh my Gaaawwwd they are Communists they dont believe in Capitalism. No money ??? Are You kidding me ??? You chose Your proffession out of what you like to develop within Yourself. Oh my gaaawwwd. Red Danger they are fascists. They try to force me not to like money ??? :eek:

Is USS Custer Ok ??? Considering he was a hero to some but an Indian butcher to others ???

Maybe realize that some names You find offensive or some people or acts You find not to your likeing might acctually be heros to others.

Like Some might not like Trehuggers that spike nails into trees to stop companies from cutting them dowen as it will ruin chain saws but others might consider them heroes for trying to save the enviroment.

Just realize that the victorers write History, so just because one side "won" we have the accepted heroes and values we have these days. That doesn't necessarily make them right. Even if I might agree with them I'm always open for the possibility that i might be wrong and respect others opinions and values as long as they dont hinder mines or force theirs upon me. Having a name does NOT force me to have to agree to their opinions.

What's next ??? attack Sexism in STO ??? Stop people from making big TRIBBLE on female chars or overgrown biceps on men ??? Stop Mini-skirts ???

Some might not like Dervish but some of us simply don't maker a big deal out of it and don't care and let it rest. :cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wrost i saw was USS Adolf and optimus in the USS prime
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Some thread topics just aren't funny. :(

How about we all learn to get along in the one-galaxy server and let Cryptic do the managing and enforcing of its Terms of Service. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wonder if the guys who keep putting up fascist names on their captains /accounts /ships understand that it ain't funny.

I'm talking to you, @shutzstaffel, and the knucklehead who is in charge of the USS Kempei Tai [WWII era Japanese Secret Police]... The guy who named his ship 'USS Reichsadler' is kind of on the bubble. I don't honestly know if the black German Prussian Eagle is the Bundesadler or Reichsadler anymore. Oh, and the TRIBBLE names are *hysterical*.... the USS Bukkake, for example.

You know, most of the time I'm not a crank about fanboy names. I don't care if somebody names himself some leet-speek spin of Anakin, Legolas, or Drizzt. I'm a gamer. Been a gamer since the Commodore 64 and DnD was sold as a box of paperbacks. Just because I've got my own vision of what I want STO to be doesn't mean that others don't have another idea. More importantly, their money spends just as good as mine does and Cryptic needs both to make this game everything it could be.

So, I guess I'll just keep reporting you. And I'll keep calling you out as a racist idiot in zone chat and encouraging others to same.

LCMR KE Lindemann
    Captain
    USS Bismarck NCC 91941
    Battle Squadron 11

Now you’re just being a bit too sensitive here. There is actually nothing wrong with those names yes they were the bad guys but come on. So if I named my ship Yamamoto or Vlad the Impaler would you get your panties in a wad. Hell Kempei Tai sounds like a good name for a Klingon ship. Stupid names like the Leet names or names like Anakin, Legolas, or Drizzt.and names that would be a racial slur are more annoying. But historical names of secret police or enemies of a certain countries are perfectly fine. And keep in mine that most people that play the game probably did not know what Kempei Tai or Reichsadler were.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

LCMR KE Lindemann
    Captain
    USS Bismarck NCC 91941
    Battle Squadron 11

I'd like to take the time to point out that, Bukkake is a euphemism.

it correctly means : Bukkake is the noun form of the Japanese verb bukkakeru (ぶっ掛ける, to dash or splash water),[8] and means "to dash," "splash" or "heavy splash."[5][6] The compound verb can be decomposed into two verbs: butsu (ぶつ) and kakeru (掛ける). Butsu literally means to hit, but in this usage it appears to be an intensive prefix as in buttamageru (ぶったまげる, "completely astonished") or butchigiri (ぶっちぎり, "overwhelming win").

Kakeru in this context means to shower or pour. The word bukkake is often used in Japanese to describe pouring out water with sufficient momentum to cause splashing or spilling. Indeed, bukkake is used in Japan to describe a type of dish where the broth is poured on top of noodles, as in bukkake-udon and bukkake-soba.

much as Yuri can is the japanese word for lilly, but is an euphemism to describe female-on-female sexual attraction. Yuri/Lilly is the flower that repersents purity.

other japanese words that have taken on a sexual slang are such as

Shima = meaning strips as in stirps of sand in water such as an lsland. but it has been used as an euphemism meaning "sex on the strips, or sex one the beach"

anything an be turned into a euphemism given the right fraim of mind. as for the japanse secret police, can't really say they are much of a secret if we all know about them. I saw a ship in beta by the name
    U.S.S Yakuza . as long as I don't see like the U.S.S k.k.k or a fleet called hitler's hand or U.S.S Nurnberg then we should be alright.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wonder how long it is going to take before people find names like U.S.S Bush or U.S.S Blair offensive. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't find these names nearly as bad as Captain Stretch Nuts in the USS Kirk is a Jerk. It's funny, but doesn't belong.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

LCMR KE Lindemann
    Captain
    USS Bismarck NCC 91941
    Battle Squadron 11
    Interesting from someone named after the main villian in Heros Season 1, in a ship name after a German Battleship of WW2.

Yamato is THE biggest battleship ever built. Although Japanese, remember Federation was started by Earth, not the united states. If I remember TNG lre right, the EU was the impetus to get a world government So having ships named after other country's famous battle ships would work, even if they were on loosing side.

Just look at the captain's name and ship name it will give an insight of what kind of player they are. If you see the USS Krispy Kreme, your pretty much know they are not a serious player. If named the USS Excaliber, likely someone that is just a superficial reader of fantasy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Darckense wrote: »
    So did you name your STO ship after the 19th century German Chancellor, or the TRIBBLE Battleship?

Served!

/10char
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Faelon wrote: »
    Yes, thanks for not sticking your head in the sand, remaining ignorant like everyone else and raising the bar of accepted behavior so that everyone feels guilty for not acting appropriately!

I am with you all the way but would appreciate it if people actualy respected the environment enough to even make a sad attempt at fitting in with it instead of being Captain Darth Invader. If everyone rebells in the same fashion, you are conforming to an expected standard anyway so why not make it one with a bit of integrity?? Hmmm?

Did you know that TRIBBLE Germany also had Politically Correct police (so it is not just isolated to the busy bodies on these forums) they were called the Gestapo and there punishment for people who say the wrong thing was quite severe.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'd like to take the time to point out that, Bukkake is a euphemism.

it correctly means : Bukkake is the noun form of the Japanese verb bukkakeru (ぶっ掛ける, to dash or splash water),[8] and means "to dash," "splash" or "heavy splash."[5][6] The compound verb can be decomposed into two verbs: butsu (ぶつ) and kakeru (掛ける). Butsu literally means to hit, but in this usage it appears to be an intensive prefix as in buttamageru (ぶったまげる, "completely astonished") or butchigiri (ぶっちぎり, "overwhelming win").

Kakeru in this context means to shower or pour. The word bukkake is often used in Japanese to describe pouring out water with sufficient momentum to cause splashing or spilling. Indeed, bukkake is used in Japan to describe a type of dish where the broth is poured on top of noodles, as in bukkake-udon and bukkake-soba.

much as Yuri can is the japanese word for lilly, but is an euphemism to describe female-on-female sexual attraction. Yuri/Lilly is the flower that repersents purity.

other japanese words that have taken on a sexual slang are such as

Shima = meaning strips as in stirps of sand in water such as an lsland. but it has been used as an euphemism meaning "sex on the strips, or sex one the beach"

anything an be turned into a euphemism given the right fraim of mind. as for the japanse secret police, can't really say they are much of a secret if we all know about them. I saw a ship in beta by the name
    U.S.S Yakuza . as long as I don't see like the U.S.S k.k.k or a fleet called hitler's hand or U.S.S Nurnberg then we should be alright.

I'd just like to say, before a mod steps in here and closes the thread with a vague "We will deal with naming issues on a case by case basis. Thread closed." post that clarifies nothing, that this is the most enlightening explaination of the etymology of a sexual practice I have ever seen on a MMO message board. Thumbs up.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yuri = Lilly or Purity
    Takahashi = high bridge

so comes out as The High Bridge of Purity. or a more American take on it would be

The cleaner path is the high road.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Megabaron wrote:
    I wonder how long it is going to take before people find names like U.S.S Bush or U.S.S Blair offensive. :p

Hm, not 'offensive', rather 'embarrassing'. To call Bush offensive would pay him way too much attention.

You have a point. Some names aren't funny, but you can easily over-act anything.
    After all, these discussions achieve nothing but encourage twisted individuals to try to find the most offensive name thinkable.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Personally, I find it astonishing that every time someone asks for the rules against racist names, comments or glorifications of fascist leaders/mass murderers in a MMO to be enforced, there's dozens of people who are not ashamed to say one of the following:

- lolol grow up! ( <- obviously very mature)
    - freedom of speech justifies everything!
    - c'mon, it's not really all that bad!

And then I have to wonder what sort of education these people have had. But, and this is the really funny part: If I started glorifying the terrorists who blew up one of their family members or friends in a suicide bombing, they'd be throwing hissy fits.
    Because obviously that's very bad. But glorifying people who murdered millions of people - children, women elderly - is a mere bagatelle.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Morar wrote: »
    Personally, I find it astonishing that every time someone asks for the rules against racist names, comments or glorifications of fascist leaders/mass murderers in a MMO to be enforced, there's dozens of people who are not ashamed to say one of the following:

And then I have to wonder what sort of education these people have had. But, and this is the really funny part: If I started glorifying the terrorists who blew up one of their family members or friends in a suicide bombing, they'd be throwing hissy fits.
    Because obviously that's very bad. But glorifying people who murdered millions of people - children, women elderly - is a mere bagatelle.

Very well stated! And sadly very true.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Morar wrote: »

One man's villian is another man's hero. If I name a ship the U.S.S. Truman, am I glorifying the man who ordered atomic bombs to be dropped on civilians, or honoring a U.S. president?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    toonami54 wrote: »
    Just to play devil's advocate here, so is naming a ship Robert Pickton, Mohamed Atta, Pedro L
This discussion has been closed.