test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO CREDIT Sellers are going to TRIBBLE our economy

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in The Academy
Can some of the people at cryptic please find a way to bad these accounts. I've gotten over 50 friggin messages since beta wanting me to buy credits for real world cash. I DON'T WANT IT AND I DON'T LIKE GETTING SPAM IN A GAME THAT I HAVE PAID FOR.

Thank you. :mad:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    they wouldnt sell it if fed momos didnt buy it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    same, if i wanted to play some TRIBBLE with no economy id go to wow:mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Every mmo has it. Just wait till the 8th, when everyone needs a retail account to log in. ATM, all they have done is pre-order multiple copies, get the key, then cancel the pre-order. Soon as you need a registered retail key to play, you wont see any more. And of you do it will be the players fault for allowing their accounts to be keylogged.

On that note, remember, in all liklihood, they wont return your stuff should you get TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You guys do realise there is NO economy in STO right?

These gold sellers are preying on the ignorant right now, but in about 3-4 weeks when your all admirals and captains and have bought your last item you'l be sitting there wondering what your gonna spend all that energy cred on...

If anything it will become a running joke about how many energy creds you have "banked":rolleyes:

So far every 10 levels when I get a new ship.. I check the exchange to see if there is some slightly better equipment then what I currently have from just loot drops.. usually there isn't. I have racked up 400k+ credits.. not counting the credits I HAVE spent on the 3-4 things I did buy.. I am 10 levels from cap.. which I'll be at in probably another day.. what will I buy then?

Please level up some more and just ignore the gold sellers, because THEY aren't ruining the economy that simply doesn't exist in the first place...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Can some of the people at cryptic please find a way to bad these accounts. I've gotten over 50 friggin messages since beta wanting me to buy credits for real world cash. I DON'T WANT IT AND I DON'T LIKE GETTING SPAM IN A GAME THAT I HAVE PAID FOR.

if you right click their name and select 'report spam' it will notify the GM's and also automatically add this person's @handle to your ignore list....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cryptic just need to limit non subscription players access to mail and chat. Trial accounts still get to try out the game to see if they like it but the system cant be used to pester other players about their TRIBBLE gold websites. SoE used a similar system in EQ2 and over night spam from the gold sellers vanished. Also a report gold farmer option is need to alert GMs right away about farmers spamming zones.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There is not a fraking thing you can do about the 'gold sellers' unless Cryptic/Atari disallow free/open accounts on the forums and in STO and a future 'trial' account. limit Ensigns accounts from sending mails and posting pms. This is not going to happen because it would be a hindrance for new people to join (and new people = more money which is all any business cares about)

A gold seller doesn't even need to be in the game. They can just send an automated PM using the forums and you will see it in your STO mail. They can get a heap of player names and accounts to send their rubbish to by just doing a video capture of chat for a couple hours.

Just get ready for the 1 or 2 hundred mails a day these ****ers will send when they get there stuff up and running properly because Cryptic isn't about to spend time chasing them, they will ban the account and a new bogus one like 'ieuahsgde' will be made the next day.

I highly doubt they will give the option to receive mail only from friends/fleet list and system, because that would not take care of the problem , just hide it.

Its the bane of every game around.

Cheers
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »
    Every mmo has it. Just wait till the 8th, when everyone needs a retail account to log in. ATM, all they have done is pre-order multiple copies, get the key, then cancel the pre-order. Soon as you need a registered retail key to play, you wont see any more. And of you do it will be the players fault for allowing their accounts to be keylogged.

On that note, remember, in all liklihood, they wont return your stuff should you get TRIBBLE.

They don't need a retail key to send spam, if they use the PM in the forum they can send to any account and it will show up in STO. Try it! :( you will see
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Xionanx wrote: »

These gold sellers are preying on the ignorant right now, but in about 3-4 weeks when your all admirals and captains and have bought your last item you'l be sitting there wondering what your gonna spend all that energy cred on...

If anything it will become a running joke about how many energy creds you have "banked":rolleyes:

So far every 10 levels when I get a new ship.. I check the exchange to see if there is some slightly better equipment then what I currently have from just loot drops.. usually there isn't. I have racked up 400k+ credits.. not counting the credits I HAVE spent on the 3-4 things I did buy.. I am 10 levels from cap.. which I'll be at in probably another day.. what will I buy then?

Please level up some more and just ignore the gold sellers, because THEY aren't ruining the economy that simply doesn't exist in the first place...:rolleyes:

i spend my extra creds on my altz
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    KhansWrath wrote:
    they wouldnt sell it if fed momos didnt buy it.

When you get total TRIBBLE drops like an 'engine battery' for killing a battleship, you can be assured some will buy it..

If Cryptic had any concept of 'Risk = Reward' in the game, there would be no reason for people to buy it...
    IMHO
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When you get total TRIBBLE drops like an 'engine battery' for killing a battleship, you can be assured some will buy it..

If Cryptic had any concept of 'Risk = Reward' in the game, there would be no reason for people to buy it...
    IMHO

Agreed, while in one of the Iota sector Deep Space Enoucnters, two other players and myself came across a "Dreadnaught" which we had never seen before.. So we attacked it.. 5 minutes laters.. (YES, 5 MINUTES) we had managed to kill it. ONe of the longest and BEST fights I've seen in this game so far.. we got exactly 1 Shield Battery and 1 Engine Battery...

I mean seriously.. any enemy that powerfull that we were never able to take down its shields.. we killed it with bleed through damage alone.. and all we got was 2 crappy batteries.. that should have been a named purple or something..
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It will decrease a lot as soon as a retail key will be required to play. However it won't completely stop, it never will, doesn't matter if there is no free trial or you can't post mail as Ensign or whatever, most of their income is from compromised accounts and they can spam using those accounts as well. You can't really stop accounts getting compromised, can you?

As long as people are so ignorant and stupid that they fall for whatever obvious scam is thrown at them, even if it is completely against logic, there will be goldsellers. Also, of course, as long as people are such tools to buy ingame currency there will always be goldsellers.

The only thing Cryptic can do is keep banning them. The only thing you can do is report spam so Cryptic can ban them, delete the message and get over it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Having an economy in a Star Trek game for the Federation is not right in the first place. Once you've learnt to play you'll find that the energy credits are available in abundance and the sellers will make no money. The points that matter are not available for trade and can only be gained by playing the game, so no sales there.

I personally hate seeing people use swear words on forums or variations of them just to give some kind of shock value, its so imature and child like, almost as bad as the kiddies who use text type for their forum name but I would never waste the keystorkes to use a swear word.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Xionanx wrote: »

Dude SWG had the same economy its just well stuff will not cotst 100 creds etc rare,epic stuff will go for Milions of credits its just higher value SWG worked fine with it no need for panic
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gold sellers will not stop when\if they have to pay for their account. They make way more money from people buying credits than they would ose paying for subscriptions. There is no way to stop them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    dolphan13 wrote: »
    Gold sellers will not stop when\if they have to pay for their account. They make way more money from people buying credits than they would ose paying for subscriptions. There is no way to stop them.

this exactly. think of them as tribbles and there are too many players willing to be the food :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They don't need a retail key to send spam, if they use the PM in the forum they can send to any account and it will show up in STO. Try it! :( you will see

According to CO, once your game account is locked for nonpayment so is your forums account. I will know for sure in another 2.5 weeks since I canceled my CO account for various reasons.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    1) The post up top about this being primarily a problem only until the "grace" period is over is right.

2) Locking things down tight cannot happen until that grace has ended, but likely will happen within a month, tops.

3) Inactive accounts should at that point be unable to send PMs on the forums, which will resolve 90% of the issue right there.

And that is about it. As soon as they no longer need to keep things "open" for the folks still waiting on their retail key shipments, they can lock things down for inactives.

That last 10% will always be with us.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As long as after the 8th they start making so that trail 10 day freebie accounts can PM on the forums and in game or send in forum messages it will stop the in-forum emails from STOGOLD.

Open invite to all hackers and virus writers. Go thier website and destroy it. Please.