test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ship Scanner & Tricorder Tweak

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Controls and User Interface
This is more of a suggestion than feedback on the current controls, but I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to set your ship's scanners or while on on ground missions to have the ability to set your tricorder to detect different things.

For instance, while in space, the scanner is useful for detecting anomalies, but you still have to visually confirm derelict ships, mining bases, and other interactive objects in space. The waypoint marker is useful for marking objects on the map, but only seems to drop one waypoint and as soon as I try and create another, it removes the first one.

I believe this would have much more of a "Star Trek" feel to it if we could adjust the scanners or the tricorder to enable detection of things other than just anomalies. Meh, just my take on it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I second that, would make finding specific things MUCH easier
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeh I was doing researcher rescue and wasted alot of time fighting through Gorn just to get to anomolies the tricorder led me to instead of the mission objectives I wanted

/signed
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ummmm.... what doe the scanners do. i seriously can find no use for them.

I just dont get it. I never had any issue with finding anomalies and scanning doesnt seem to add anything to my maps? I just dont use it because i cant see what function it serves
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Chenchuan wrote: »
    ummmm.... what doe the scanners do. i seriously can find no use for them.

I just dont get it. I never had any issue with finding anomalies and scanning doesnt seem to add anything to my maps? I just dont use it because i cant see what function it serves

Yes it is hard to find anomolies and you haven't noticed the blue beam of light that comes out of them now pointing to anomolies and objective (annoyingly without being able to differentiate between the two)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes it is hard to find anomolies and you haven't noticed the blue beam of light that comes out of them now pointing to anomolies and objective (annoyingly without being able to differentiate between the two)

how can you NOT find anomlaies.... You can see them across the map. And they are usually right next to what ever it is you need to do. ARE PEOPLE BLIND

What does the scanner do that helps you find them? I still dont get.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anomolies are not always in the pathing, Chen. There is many times you have to go out of your way to find them. Thats why they added this graphic during Beta, so people can find them faster.

But I agree with the rest of you, it would be nice if there was something to distinguish the differences that you are being directed to a mission objective, or it's directing you to an anomoly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    /bump

Options are always a nice feature, and having more options to tweak the scanner or tricorder would add more of a use them instead of being the novelty they are now.

It's not an issue of whether people can see anomalies or not if you have every followed Star Trek. We're talking about adding a feature to the game that was a feature from Star Trek. If you're in a ship and all you can detect are anomalies but can't use long-range scanners to detect other things, then you are flying one out-dated starship my friend!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    read this:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=59035

in fact read everything in my Signature

And spread the word
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The scanners, the way they are working now, are a huge improvement over how they worked in Beta.

In Beta, you were only told how many anomalies were in the area and not given any indication as to where they were at. You had to do a scavenger hunt just to find them. To find mission items, they weren't marked as waypoints so it was a scavenger hunt to find those things.

Is it perfect? No, but compared to how it was in Beta it is great.

Being how they took out auto firing in ground combat, I don't think they are going to make scanning any easier since by their definition that wouldn’t be "fun."