test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Critical Severity + Critical Chance Showstopping Bug

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I made another thread about this, and it got buried 5-10 pages deep almost instantly, so here we go again.
I discovered a week ago or so that ALL weapons whether Space OR Ground DO NOT add critical chance, or critical severity to your stats. This is bad news for anyone who manages to find or save up to buy rare blues and greens that would be awesome because of those stats.

(Point made, no need to read beyond this point if you're mentally deficient.)

I only found out about the Ground weapons not giving anything a day ago. This one surprised me, because when it comes to Ground Combat, you'll notice the Body Armor that comes with +40 Critical Severity actually works, and boosts your guy up to 90. At least it did all throughou CB, and most of OB. However, I got myself a Rare Split Beam Energy Rifle that had +2% crit, and +40 Critical Severity on it, and it did not change my stats, even when my base Crit Severity was at 50. I imagine if there were a cap it would be 100, since that seems to translate to +100% Crit dmg. Regardless, ship items, and ground items that pack these stats do not give you the bonus no matter what. It's funny too, cause my friend will be like "Omg, I found this Blue Plasma Torpedo Launcher Mk IV with +40 Critical Severity." My response is "Lol. Too bad the **** doesn't WORK. I'll stick with my green MK III Quantums that I got from that newb mission."

I've compared my actual damage numbers with stacking Crit Severity, and without much of it too, to see if perhaps they do work, but simply don't show in your stat window. They show absolutely no difference. I was doing 7700 Quantum Torp crits before, and after I added a Turret that had another +20 Severity on it to my ship build. My crit chance also shows no signs of being higher. I crit as often as I did just starting out.

As it stands, if the DPS increase is minimal to your current white Mk IV versus your blue MK IV, which sometimes it is, there's no point ever getting anything other than the common item. Torpedos and Mines are probably the only ones worth it, since Torp damage is huge, therefore the increase from rarity is large in comparison. Mines I believe are made stronger in level based on rarity, if I remember correctly, but I'm not 100% on that. Despite that, you're still better off just grabbing the white common highest Mark gear you wear, and moving on for the most part. It'll save you time and money. The downside of that is that one of the greatest parts about MMORPGs is the ability to find rare things that make you stronger and help you stand out amoung the rest of the playerbase whether in strength or appearance. Currently, both options are impossible.

If you have some kind of end-game planned where people form fleets to raid giant bosses, or participate in huge battles for amazing drops, you'll want to get this fixed as soon as possible. I imagine you do, since I've already witnessed and taken part in the Crystalline Entity battle, and witnessed the devastating power of the Scimitars. (I was flipping out when I took a blast from that thing. Lol.) It's those kinds of things that give me hope for this game, but if the crazy Very Rare or Rare item I'm going to win at the end of the encounter comes with ridiculously amazing stats that don't do anything...then what's the point of even playing other than hitting the level cap, PVP'ing for full gear, and moving on to a different game?

Also everyone's noticed you reduced the difficulty of PVE big-time. Mostly in their damage capability. I don't know if this is because you stopped them from using their maxed rank skills like HYIII or what, because I hate your combat log, and try to use it as little as possible. Though if gear stats for crit actually worked, you probably wouldn't of had to, since any smart player would be well geared from quests, and secure sector mission grinding, and probably rip through them. At the same time though, you'd be taking big dmg, but who gives a TRIBBLE when you have 15-20% crit chance, and 100-150 Crit Severity. Most people would rip through them like butter, but the number of enemies bombing on you would still make it challenging, due to the hurt they put on you too. There's some food for thought.

P.S. Excellent job enabling FSAA finally. The game looks ****ing amazing at 8x FSSA/16x Aniso with max settings. It's like a whole new world versus CB, and it didn't affect my performance AT all. Infact, unlike most games, when I enabled it, it didn't even make my screen flicker. It was just like BAM HERE'S YOUR CREAMY SMOOTH GOODNESS. Other than if I'm in a enemy NPC ship's face, and he pops a skill with the little icon glowing over him, sometimes that icon is a white square. But if you get far from him, it's in full glowing detail again. I don't care about that at all though. Just fix the gear. :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Bumping til one of you devs sees it.
    edited January 2010
    Bumping again since this new patch still hasn't addressed the issue, and I don't believe this is listed under known issues of the last major patch.
    edited January 2010
    still no response to this issue?
    edited January 2010
    /bump, well seeing they are having trouble keeping the server going for more than 4 - 5 hours at a time, id say they have bigger fish to fry atm. wouldnt say it was a showstopper though... SWG had mods, stats and broken skills bugs all throughout its life... RIP SWG
    edited January 2010
    i'm hoping this game turns out better :P
    edited January 2010
    ping.. noone will be seeing end game content for a little bit yet .. sure there will be a few folks who hit level 50 in 3 days but the majority of players will a take a couple months to get there.. that gives them time to get servers stable and to start addressing stat bugs and equipment balancing issues. One bug i reported thats pretty severe is a tactical kit I bought from DS9 that when ever i opened my character screen and tried to equip the item .. the second i moused over it I would crash to desktop. Once i was able to get rid of the item my crashes stopped, I dont think it was a coincidence.
    edited January 2010
    While the Tactical Kit thing is a showstopper in the literal sense, the gear one is still a critical problem in the grand scheme of things. I don't like playing games with nothing to look forward to except being at the same level of power the entire time I play. If that's the case, i'm better off rocking some PS3 games that look and play better than most of these half-assed projects people release on PC nowadays. Especially on my beautiful LG LH90.

The problem doesn't affect just end-game either. People start getting blues as Lt. Commander, and greens before that. Not to mention all the PVP/Exploration items from badges have bonus crit or crit severity. What's the point of getting the badges (Granted they're easy to get) if the item doesn't do **** for you except give you easy access to your top equippable mark? Either way, it affects everyone, not just the people who cap out in 5 days.

I've heard some people say those bonus stats are in effect, but they only apply to the individual weapon they're on. If that's true, that is the most TRIBBLE idea I've ever heard in an MMORPG. W-T-F is 2%, 4%, 6% crit going to do for a Dual Phaser Bank when my natural crit rate is 2.5%? Oh snap, I have 8.5% chance to crit, guys. Watch out now. Then Severity. Rofl. If you only have 2.5% crit, wtf is Severity going to do? The only decent stat is the .1 Accuracy one, because I think by Cryptic's crazy sense of math, that equals +10% chance to hit.

I miss WoW where thousands of nerds do the math for me, and post it on the web for me to analyze and deduct what the best course of action for me is. Makes min/maxing, and dominating stupid players so much easier. Right now in this game, everything's a damn mystery. It's either a mystery whether or not the things work, or a mystery as to HOW they work. Either way you're ****ed when trying to plot the best course of action in advance. Don't even have any Skill calculators yet to show us the Skillpoint cap and how many skills we can max before we run out. That'd be nice to get before I hit anywhere near Admiral.
    edited February 2010
    bump. we should at least get a "we read this and we know about it" post ?
    edited February 2010
    Could someone explain what the difference is between critical chance and critical severity?

memory alpha offers an upgrade to phaser beam array Mk II +2% Crit Chance and another that has +20 Crit Severity. Not sure which i should get.

Not sure that it matters if this is broke, but i'd like to understand it anyway.

I guess that severity is how hard you hit when you get a critical and chance is the dice roll. is there a max to the severity stat. currently my chance is 2.5% and Severity is 90% so if i equip a +40 phaser (asuming that it wasn't bugged) will that bring it up to 130% or will it cap out??

actually my ship crit severity is @ 50% so the equip mentioned above wouldn't apply here but i'm curious if there is supposed to be a cap.

On another note (not to hijack the thread) but what is the "_Offline mode" that comes w/ these weapons enhancements?

Sorry if these are newbish questions. I'll continue scouring the forums for the answers in the meantime.

thanks,
    Whrl
    edited February 2010
    crit chanse is "how offten u get a crit"
    crit severity is : when u get a crit .. how big of a crit is it.

the offline mode from phazer turets and cannons is the fact that phaser dmg has a chanse to take one of the target's systems offline for a short period of time.

fact is none of the crit mechanics work properly it seems ... so u can get either item .. or just spend the badges on something else.

check this thread

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=88576
    edited February 2010
    See I noticed this in open beta that it wasn't updating the character sheet with these stat bonuses on rare and uncommon weapons. I can't believe if it's not a display error they haven't corrected this.

Cryptic look please :).
    edited February 2010
    bump. cryptic ... an ack post ?