*soft applauds*
  • Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    No it doesn't.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would have gotten more into Enterprise if they had not done two things. 1) used a re textured akira class as the Enterprise. 2) based most of there plot off of ZOMG time traveling bad guys.

I can almost get over number one. But really the whole time plots are just killing me they have been done to death.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would have gotten more into Enterprise if they had not done two things. 1) used a re textured akira class as the Enterprise. 2) based most of there plot off of ZOMG time traveling bad guys.

I can almost get over number one. But really the whole time plots are just killing me they have been done to death.
    3) the captain that got his behind handed to him 24/7

Very much agree with your number 2.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Chat wrote:
    3) the captain that got his behind handed to him 24/7

Very much agree with your number 2.

Yeah Time plots are what made me give up on voyager. I mean really they had a whole season worth of eps that basically never happened becuase of time travel. Lately the Temporal Plot Device (TPD) seems to be there go to for a lot of things these days.

Want to run a story that will kill of someone but you don't want to really kill them off? TPD!
    Want to blow up the ship by ramming the bad guy? No worry TPD!
    Want to redo the whole thing over? TPD it is!
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Enterprise NX-01

Akira class

Enterprise NX-01 blueprint

Akira class blueprint

Yes, their pylon and hull design is similar in that two separated beams support the drive section, but that's where the similarities end.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Enterprise NX-01

Akira class

Akira class blueprint

Yes, their pylon and hull design is similar in that two separated beams support the drive section, but that's where the similarities end.

Oh right they are completely different I can see now how the Enterprise looks totally like something that was built before the TOS. I mean really it looks so much like a prototype that would lead to everything seen in the TOS and original films.

No this is my issue. The tv show was made after TNG/First Contact when the akira came out. The art team could have tried to make something that look more dated and flowed better into TOS as it was seen. Instead they opted to use something that looked cool. I mean even in First Contact the prototype at lest looked like it could be the design that would lead to big ships along the same line.

The Enterprise looks not like a prototype from the past but something that is more at home in TNG/DS9/Voy. That really my issue.

That is also why I said I can get over it and number 2 time plots was my main reason for not getting into the series.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh right they are completely different I can see now how the Enterprise looks totally like something that was built before the TOS. I mean really it looks so much like a prototype that would lead to everything seen in the TOS and original films.

No this is my issue. The tv show was made after TNG/First Contact when the akira came out. The art team could have tried to make something that look more dated and flowed better into TOS as it was seen. Instead they opted to use something that looked cool. I mean even in First Contact the prototype at lest looked like it could be the design that would lead to big ships along the same line.

The Enterprise looks not like a prototype from the past but something that is more at home in TNG/DS9/Voy. That really my issue.

That is also why I said I can get over it and number 2 time plots was my main reason for not getting into the series.

But the design DOES lend itself to later models. Compare the similarities between NX-01 and NCC-1701. Long, narrow prominent struts that rise high over the saucer. Simple cylindrical nacelles. A rough hull, more lending itself to present technology than the sleek designs of the 24th century. The only thing that looks more "futuristic" than the Constitution class is the way the top decks of the saucer round off, much like the Galaxy class, but we can chalk that up to better CGI effects.

I think the designers did a spectacular job with NX-01, but it may seem out of place simply because the CGI effects are decades ahead of those in TOS (that is to say, nonexistant in TOS). But what were they going to do, use a crappy model and virtually no CGI just to make it seem "more primitive than TOS?" That'd be stupid.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i liked enterprise
    too bad you didn't
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would have killed for a DS9 marathon today.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It could have been worse, instead of using the TPD, they could have pulled a "Dallas" or "St Elsewhere" and all the events they wanted undone could have been merely a dream.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    But the design DOES lend itself to later models. Compare the similarities between NX-01 and NCC-1701. Long, narrow prominent struts that rise high over the saucer. Simple cylindrical nacelles. A rough hull, more lending itself to present technology than the sleek designs of the 24th century. The only thing that looks more "futuristic" than the Constitution class is the way the top decks of the saucer round off, much like the Galaxy class, but we can chalk that up to better CGI effects.

I think the designers did a spectacular job with NX-01, but it may seem out of place simply because the CGI effects are decades ahead of those in TOS (that is to say, nonexistant in TOS). But what were they going to do, use a crappy model and virtually no CGI just to make it seem "more primitive than TOS?" That'd be stupid.

Not really. NX-01 looks very much like like a TNG+ design that's been down rated to TOS styling. The issue to me, it that she looks MORE modern than NCC-1701. It's an issue I can forgive, because if they'd made something that look truly pre-TOS, it would have just looked stupid.

That said, I was never happy with the Akira Class "throw forward." The Akira is an awesome ship design. With a little stylistic updating, she could easily be the star of a post TNG series. I wouldn't mind seeing an updated concept in the reboot style. But Enterprise should have new. something we hadn't seen before. The producers tried to conjure off of the popularity of the Akira, and that was mistake.

I remember reading TV guide, when they discussed the mild weakness in DS9's ratings and the decision to give the show a starship to punch things up a bit. Then a month or two later, there was an article on that starship. I remember thinking, "this is too different, it's not very Trek." The Defiant turned out to be liquid awesome.

Enterprise's producers were not limited to fan expectations, even those of us who were hoping for some miracle where they made a throw back that didn't actually look so dated as to ruin the suspension of disbelief. And if NX-01 had been the kind of awesome that Defiant was, I suspect we could have forgiven her for looking as she did. (Note, I don't mean as powerful as Defiant. With NX-01 they should have gone, IMO, with a nod to the Millennium Falcon. Rather than making her weak compared to everything else in space they should have made her slightly more powerful, in many respects. And she should have had interesting, and drama raising break downs from being a bit too advanced.)

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Enterprise. She's not a bad looking ship. But like Defiant, she has issues, and the production team didn't giver her enough awesome or personality to overcome those issues.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why can't someone just enjoy a TV Show for what it is? Everything has flaws. Get over it. Suspend disbelief.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    television is srs bsns thats why
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i liked enterprise
    too bad you didn't
    This sums it up nicely.

Some like it and some don't.
    Thank hell that people have different opinion or we would all be wearing the same clothes, watch the same shows, buy the same things... Kinda like *insert something about Apple here*. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can never get past that Theme song.... by the time it's done I am already in a less than receptive mood.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It could have been worse, instead of using the TPD, they could have pulled a "Dallas" or "St Elsewhere" and all the events they wanted undone could have been merely a dream.

Apparently you didn't see the final episode of Enterprise.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Enterprise NX-01

Akira class

Akira class blueprint

if its not broke, dont fix it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Apparently you didn't see the final episode of Enterprise.

Even I had the brains to understand why they did that.

And the nx-01 was a stable, reliable ship, just like every other enterprise.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i enjoyed enterprise better then voyager
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TNG is cartoonish and almost absurdly innocent, VOY's characters are mostly empty and cliche'd, TOS is so old and slow...

DS9 is deep (and in space at night XD), but also often boring..

and Enterprise is what I call a great, fun and exciting contemporary TV series, with a succesfull main cast full of stoy, and plots that leave any other long plot in any Star Trek series in a very bad place, not to talk about the action secuences, which seemed coreographed by 5 year old kids in TNG, VOY and DS9, but in Enterprise are uber-cool.

And I love all of Star Trek like cracy, but I have to be realistic also.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vulkoria wrote:
    Why can't someone just enjoy a TV Show for what it is? Everything has flaws. Get over it. Suspend disbelief.

Not every TV show is enjoyable. Not all Treks were create equal. I gave Enterprise a chance, it didn't work out. I don't regularly pan it by saying it shouldn't have been made.

Nor do I think my distaste for it is some kind of universal law. It's an opinion, and like waste elimination orifices, everyone's got one. Discussing the merits and flaws (flaws mostly in here, but hey) of a bit of fiction is valid activity.

I'm occasionally a writer. Suspension of disbelief is not the audience's job. Most come into a story with disbelief already suspended. It's up to the story tellers to maintain it, which is why the topic, when taught to writers is called "Maintaining Suspension of Disbelief."

Also: "Can we all get along?"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Enterprise is one of my favorite Star Trek series, and it does not "suck" - what sucks is some people's narrow view of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Enterprise is one of my favorite Star Trek series, and it does not "suck" - what sucks is some people's narrow view of it.
    What sucks is that you cannot understand that not everyone likes the same things. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can never get past that Theme song.... by the time it's done I am already in a less than receptive mood.

The theme song does bug the hell out of me. It's the least "Trek" theme song in a Trek series. But I can get past that and still thoroughly enjoy the show, since the theme song really has no bearing on the show itself.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I think Reality TV sucks. It's massive success suggests mine is a minority view. Does it then follow that it sucks that a minority think reality TV sucks?

I rather think not.

My hobby: Rational replies to flame bait.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The theme song does bug the hell out of me. It's the least "Trek" theme song in a Trek series. But I can get past that and still thoroughly enjoy the show, since the theme song really has no bearing on the show itself.

I liked the theme song. I noticed they changed the musical arrangement in later seasons, which I saw very little of. I thought that was step backward.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I liked Enterprise myself. I understand that a lot of people didn't as can be seen that it only lasted 5 seasons. I agree that the ship just doesn't fit with the time period, but I was able to get past that as they needed something recognizable as Star Trek. The ships from that era looked more like my avatar which is the USS Daedalus, but it wouldn't have been very popular either.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I enjoyed Enterprise. It's has a very innocent in its "trying to find how humanity fits in the universe" kind of theme. It has great characters, but honestly it is off and on with some of the story elements.

Altho the Xindi Saga is some of the best Trek ever IMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

If you listen to the words to the song, they are uplifting and inspiring in a TOTALLY Star Trek way. It's all about man's belief in growing and learning - and fits perfectly as the song for the prequel.